Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks.

I've managed to talk myself out of NEEDING a 6mmARC at least a dozen times already.... Curse you 'Fire!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an AR that is begging for a new barrel. In its current form it’s an honest 1.5 moa barrel. So thinking I will jump on the preorder from Brownells and get the 20 inch barrel. Oh and the Grendel bolt. Right now I’m waiting on parts for a 224 Valkyrie build..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I have an AR that is begging for a new barrel. In its current form it’s an honest 1.5 moa barrel. So thinking I will jump on the preorder from Brownells and get the 20 inch barrel. Oh and the Grendel bolt. Right now I’m waiting on parts for a 224 Valkyrie build..

John, keep us posted. I was just eyeballing the 20" barrel at brownells as well. I'll bet its going to be a shooter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

A 1.5" AR is "begging for a new barrel?"

I remember when that was a rock star group for an average AR.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter
John,

J's been shooting competitively now, for a little while, and must have caught the accuracy bug. Check out the black rifle challenge here, there are some of us here that believe ar's can be extremely accurate. A lot of us aren't talking 3 shot groups here either. J is one of those guys. Like me, when you shoot comp, you fire more than 3 shots on target, and you want them to be in the X-ring. If not, you might as well be golfing or fishing.. Here's how my iron sight AR did in the black rifle challenge here, and its better than 1.5":
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It also scores an average of 100-8x. rost has said a few times that a good ar and good shooter can hold moa for 10 shots with irons.. He can correct me if I'm wrong, or I can find that exact quote from the challenge. When I heard that, I questioned it, but with the rifle I'm shooting, it's starting to prove his theory.. I'm like John, I believe with an optic, you should be well within 1 moa for 10 shots with a good AR. Not every AR, but with a GOOD ar... Here's how my Northtech Defense shoots pretty much all the time (well, it hovers around .8 MOA consistently):

As a side note: All of my AR15's have shot sub moa scores in the black rifle challenge here, except for my iron sight Noveske... Even with a scope, it just hovers around 1.1 moa...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

lol you are right 3-4-6-8 yrs ago i wouldn’t of cared.. but after shooting matches last yr and x count along with 10’s. You need a AR that is an honest MOA rifle, my current setup with a green mtn barrel fits that bill great barrel. I used the PSA built AR with there barrel half the season last year and realized.

Last edited by 79S; 06/08/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
John,

lol you are right 3-4-6-8 yrs ago i wouldn’t of cared.. but after shooting matches last yr and x count along with 10’s. You need a AR that is an honest MOA rifle, my current setup with a green mtn barrel fits that bill great barrel. I used the PSA built AR with there barrel half the season last year and realized.

Realized PSA just wasn't cutting it, didn't you... grin

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
John,

We all aren’t big money hustlas like you.. PSA is a good starting point it did what I needed it to do.. I might need to clean I have no
Idea the last time I cleaned it. But it’s very picky and it won’t shoot the bullets I need it to shoot 77 Sierra’s.. i thought about putting a 20 inch green mtn barrel.. But we have a 1000yd shoot coming up... none that 100 yd [bleep] you been doing lol 😜I’m just busting your nuts. But we have a 1000 yds nra high power shoot 60rds. If the stars align I will use this 224 Valkyrie. With 80 eld-m we will see..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
John,

We all aren’t big money hustlas like you.. PSA is a good starting point it did what I needed it to do.. I might need to clean I have no
Idea the last time I cleaned it. But it’s very picky and it won’t shoot the bullets I need it to shoot 77 Sierra’s.. i thought about putting a 20 inch green mtn barrel.. But we have a 1000yd shoot coming up... none that 100 yd [bleep] you been doing lol 😜I’m just busting your nuts. But we have a 1000 yds nra high power shoot 60rds. If the stars align I will use this 224 Valkyrie. With 80 eld-m we will see..

Good luck buddy. Damn, you need an ar10 6.5cm for that 1000 yard match... are you going to be using your 1-4 scope? Id be fu cked, if i had to use a 4x at 1000!!!!

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
John,

Good luck buddy. Damn, you need an ar10 6.5cm for that 1000 yard match... are you going to be using your 1-4 scope? Id be fu cked, if i had to use a 4x at 1000!!!!

Hell no lol i will use a 10x.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Irons all the way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like 2700-2800 velocities are via 24" barrel.

18", probably in the 2500 fps range?

https://gununiversity.com/6mm-arc-review/

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The claim is 2630 FPS for a 108 gr. from 18":
The combination of the proven REC7 DI gas system and the potent 6mm ARC cartridge creates a consistent, accurate cartridge, according to Barrett. It carries 24 round in the magazine. Meanwhile 108-grain ELD Match bullets exit an 18-inch Proof Research barrel at more than 2,630 fps. It also delivers supersonic capabilities past 1,000 yards.

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/barrett-rec7-rifles-hornady-6mm-arc-dod-contract/

I'm thinking a 20" barrel might be about right...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

The claim is 2630 FPS for a 108 gr. from 18":
The combination of the proven REC7 DI gas system and the potent 6mm ARC cartridge creates a consistent, accurate cartridge, according to Barrett. It carries 24 round in the magazine. Meanwhile 108-grain ELD Match bullets exit an 18-inch Proof Research barrel at more than 2,630 fps. It also delivers supersonic capabilities past 1,000 yards.

https://www.tactical-life.com/news/barrett-rec7-rifles-hornady-6mm-arc-dod-contract/

I'm thinking a 20" barrel might be about right...

Exactamundo

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finally jumped and ordered a CMMG complete upper with a 20” barrel. Looking forward to getting everything put together.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I finally jumped and ordered a CMMG complete upper with a 20” barrel. Looking forward to getting everything put together.

Should be pretty sweet. Buying a complete upper is going to save you a little time. I think if i were going to build one from scratch, id just go with Aero precision (upper and lower M4e1) and a Faxon 20" barrel from brownells ($216.00). Im thinking i could keep the cost below $800.00 for the complete rifle.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d like a 6 ARC upper myself.

Semper Fi
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't keep up with these 6mm AR cartridges much. Which ones support mag-length loading of 105+gr bullets?

Pretty much all of the Grendel-based 6mm wildcats (including the 6mm ARC) do that. Almost none of the 6.8 SPC-based or 5.56-based wildcats do. That's the entire reason the Grendel case is popular for these cartridges - to fit long heavy bullets at mag length.

In my 243 LBC barrels (one of the most successful Grendel-based 6mm wildcats) my accuracy loads for the 105gr BTHP and for the 95gr VLD which actually has a longer nose are both less than 2.260" OAL, even though 2.300" or slightly longer is possible with ASC mags. This is one of the few AR cartridges I've used where magazine length is not a restriction on potential accuracy due to jump to the lands.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,165
Posts18,465,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.