Print Thread
Hop To
B
Boogan1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just picked up a Colt SAA 45 colt manufactured in 1892. The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, very tight, crisp clicks, solid cylinder lockup. I would like to shoot this old gun but don't want to damage it in any way. It is a black powder frame gun and does not have the smokeless proof stamps on it. Is there somewhere that manufactures ammo that would be safe to shoot in this gun? The gun is not going to be a frequent shooter but more of firing off a few rounds for the nostalgia of shooting a 118 year old gun. So I don't want to buy dies,brass, bullets, primers, powder, etc just to shoot it a couple of times unless that is my only option. Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe Buffalo Arms sells a blackpowder load.

Consider signing up at the Colt Forum, there are many knowledgeable people there that can steer you right.

F
F
Put up a couple of pictures of that ole SAA!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Boogan1
I just picked up a Colt SAA 45 colt manufactured in 1892. The gun is in excellent mechanical condition, very tight, crisp clicks, solid cylinder lockup. I would like to shoot this old gun but don't want to damage it in any way. It is a black powder frame gun and does not have the smokeless proof stamps on it. Is there somewhere that manufactures ammo that would be safe to shoot in this gun? The gun is not going to be a frequent shooter but more of firing off a few rounds for the nostalgia of shooting a 118 year old gun. So I don't want to buy dies,brass, bullets, primers, powder, etc just to shoot it a couple of times unless that is my only option. Thanks!

I remember ready that this is a common misconception, as Colt denies that any changes in metallurgy were made in response to the introduction of smokeless powder. Don't take my word for it, though. My source could have been wrong.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Phil Spangenberger wrote about this:

"Many SAA shooters also think the term “black powder frame” means one can only fire black powder ammunition in this handgun, and the “smokeless frame” is for use with smokeless ammo. WRONG! With currently produced 1873 SAA Colts or modern replicas of the ’73 Peacemaker, you can fire either black powder or smokeless ammo in either frame style. These frame designations tell which era a particular single action represents. However, if you are working with a vintage Colt SAA, revolvers with serial numbers under 180,000 should only be loaded with black powder cartridges-and then only after having them carefully inspected by a competent gunsmith."

I found a copy of his article here: https://www.richardbealblog.com/black-powder-framed-peacemaker%E2%80%93-what-does-it-mean/

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 13 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.