-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't dismiss the Vortex yet as the culprit. first thing i thought when i read your title was , bet it is a vortex. have had exactly the same problem with 2 of them. good thing they take them back.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Blacktailer, my friend, you might want to put me on ignore for a while too. I'm going to unmercifully harass that [bleep]. Every time he posts, I'm going to ridicule him. I will not stop until he leaves.

Trybone, he owns you 🙁

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know you do not need even more different suggestions to resolve this problem, but if every thing else fails, I would not discount misaligned scope rings/bases. I think you mentioned that you have Talley light weights on the rifle. The Classic M70's are not known for misaligned scope base holes and Talleys are not known for off drilled holes either. But, with the manufacturing tolerances and scope base screw hole diameters being what they are, you could end up with a misaligned ring mount putting a lot of stress on the scope and causing problems. The way to eliminate this with 2 piece mounts is epoxy bed the bases or ring/mounts with an alignment jig. I believe a solution to your problem has already been discussed on this thread, but my mention is just something to consider if everything else fails to fix the problem. RJ

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will attempt to put the good info into one post!

SCOPE!!!

Bedding maybe could use a little work but would not cause what you are experiencing to that degree.

What you need to do!

Get a Fixed 6 SWFA or a 10 power will work if you don't mind losing some field of view and want to shoot critters past 600 yds. My opinion is for what you are likely doing you would like the 6 better

If you decide you want to mess with bedding a little more after fixing your scope issue relieve the bottom, sides, and front as was mentioned. One other thing that may have been mentioned that I didn't see is the action screws should be clear of any bedding as well. If you relieve the lug make sure the back of the recoil lug is tight against the bedding when you tighten the action screws. Personally I have bedded the recoil lug solid on several rifles and they still shot 5/8" or less at 100 yds with numerous 3 shot groups with dialed in handloads

If your under 1" with factory ammo when your done with your rifle I would call it more than acceptable

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks for the input guys. I'm working on getting another scope to test and will report back after I get out and shoot.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The first thing i would do is retorque your bases and rings. If that doesnt work, change your scope. Good luck ,Wally.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
W
OP Offline
W
UPDATE:

Went out and shot this past Sunday after mounting a buddy's leupold vx5hd 2-10 firedot scope on the gun. Saw the same patterns yet again when shooting barnes vor-tx ammo in both 130 and 150g. Shot some more federal gold medal and that did not display the here-and-there pattern, so I think it is actually that my barrel doesn't like vor-tx ammos especially well. Even the federal gold medal match ammo didn't allow me to produce any groups under 1", although they were all pretty close to that. Aside from continuing my ammo search, I'm thinking of fiddling with the bedding job some more. I'd sure like to shoot some sub-moa groups with this rifle. In a perfect world I'd like to do it with solid copper bullets, but time will tell if I'll find the right factory load. I don't really want to have to start hand loading just to make this gun shoot straight. One of the reasons I picked .308 was the abundance of factory ammo choices.

I'll update again after more tinkering.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WallyWhitetail
UPDATE: One of the reasons I picked .308 was the abundance of factory ammo choices.

What? There isn't an 'abundance' of 6.5 Creed factory ammo choices?......

Last edited by huntsman22; 06/23/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Were you getting the same “patterns” with the Barnes before the bedding? I know you said it was shooting ok but not “great.”

W
OP Offline
W
Hello all,

I'm here to give a final update. The problem was the bedding job. Specifically, that it was not a stress free bedding job. I discovered that the trigger guard rocked in it's seat quite a bit and that it was being bent when the action screws were tightened. I was also able to detect a tiny amount of movement in between the forend of the stock and the barrel when tightening the rear action screw. So I re-bedded the action and bedded the trigger guard, except this time I arranged the stock and barreled action in such a way that it could rest in place with no clamping forces from screws or tape or anything else. The results have been quite good. The rifle now shoots pretty consistent ~1" groups at 100yds with the Barnes ammo I want to hunt with. I even managed to shoot one group into a 1/2".

Regarding the questions about whether it was doing this before bedding or not, I wasn't sure because I lost the photos of my older targets and I could not remember definitively what those patterns looked like. I just remember that when I saw the factory bedding job was full of bubbles, I decided to re-bed and hope for improved accuracy. I remember my best groups being around 1.5" with most being much worse.

Thanks for the help to all who chimed in. In the end we got 'er figured.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

640 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,319
Posts18,449,295
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.