Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[quote=Fireball2] put them in it for one of your vehicles. Sooner or later you'll be very glad you did.

EE, that's what these sets are for. Some trucks are lacking and have minimal tools. I'm not much into plastic tool sets. I find metal tool boxes second hand and fill them with what I want rather than buy mickey mouse sets of cheap Taiwan tools in plastic boxes. I agree on the Made in America. If it doesn't say it, it probably isn't.

I grab all kinds of small metal boxes when I see them for things like tires chains and tools. You can't buy a lot at the big box stores that's worth bringing home. The other day I found a real old snatch block I'd been looking for to keep in the truck with the winch on it. Those old tools have stood the test of time so those are the ones I'm looking for.

LOL
BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
“Roy, you gonna finish the yard this weekend?”

“No, honey. Gotta go to all the pawn shops in Southern Oregon and build a custom set of sockets.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have twisted cheap extensions, rounded sockets. Lost several million.
Last oil filter I drove a screwdriver through was so thin it tore. 20 inch channel locks work if there is room.

I always thought theh should make a set with metric and US putting on only one socket for 5/16-8mm, 11mm, 19 mm. There are a few that are within tolerance to match.

I still have a homemade Chevy distributor wrench out there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Harbor Freight

The “Made in China” store.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
From the perspective of a 50+ year professional mechanic, there are two kinds of hand tools:

Snap-On

Everything else!

I search Ebay, pawn shops, flea markets, and garage sales, and buy anything I can find that's Snap-On brand. It doesn't matter if it happens to duplicate something I've already got- - - - -tools do get lost and/or stolen, even if the good ones rarely if ever wear out or get broken. Impact sockets are an exception- - - -the good ones are made of relatively soft steel and they do wear from the pounding they get from any impact driver worth buying. I buy medium-quality impact sockets like Craftsman or Kobalt, and replace them if they get worn to the point of being ineffective.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have most brands mixed in, snap-on, Mac, blue point, craftsman etc. but for the money SK is good stuff.

I'd go to a dealer and be done with it. I hate shopping though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
[quote=Fireball2] put them in it for one of your vehicles. Sooner or later you'll be very glad you did.

EE, that's what these sets are for. Some trucks are lacking and have minimal tools. I'm not much into plastic tool sets. I find metal tool boxes second hand and fill them with what I want rather than buy mickey mouse sets of cheap Taiwan tools in plastic boxes. I agree on the Made in America. If it doesn't say it, it probably isn't.

I grab all kinds of small metal boxes when I see them for things like tires chains and tools. You can't buy a lot at the big box stores that's worth bringing home. The other day I found a real old snatch block I'd been looking for to keep in the truck with the winch on it. Those old tools have stood the test of time so those are the ones I'm looking for.
I'm not the one that recommended cheap tools. I buy Made in USA when I can. The plastic tool boxes I have are almost all made here also. I prefer plastic because it is lighter and also doesn't scratch stuff as bad in vehicles. The metal boxes are probably more durable, but IME, nominally so. If somebody prefers metal boxes, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise. There are pluses and minuses to both plastic and metal. I've got both.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have mostly SnapOn from my younger days, almost all bought from the shops SnapOn dealer. $5 a week back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Twas a great investment as I still use them often. I bought a 1/4” SK set back then, standard shallow and deep. Exceptional quality.....

25 years ago I bought a set of Craftsman wrenches for a work truck, they are adequate for lots of chores.

Heck I bought both my top (SnapOn) and lower (Vulcan) boxes used 40 years ago and wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Yard sales, Craigslist And pawn shops should work out just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look up Cripe Distributing out of Idaho for everything you want. They sell singles and sets and you can search for USA in the description. They are on Ebay also. Their shipping is too damn high but you put the items in your cart then send them a message and they will adjust your shipping before you checkout.

Cripe Distributing

Don't forget Harry J Epstein for USA tools.

Harry J Epstein

Last edited by DryPowder; 06/13/20.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Am needing three complete sets of sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Shallow and deep, metric and standard. Have the ratchets and extensions, just need the sockets. I see shops around here with huge trays of loose sockets and am headed to town today to price them. Looking at American made only.

What do you think, PITA or worth the trouble? Guess it depends on what they want for them and what my time is worth.

If I buy new, do you guys have suppliers that let you build your own sets rather than having to buy a bunch of junk you don't need or want?

I don't see that you have anything to loose if you have the time. I would enjoy the hunt personally. The only thing is that there are more and more cheap products on the market so expect to look through lots of stuff. The pawn broker might be willing to take your name and call you when they get something. Would be worth asking about.

lightman
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I haven't checked tool prices in many years. Being in the business I bought a new Snap On Taco wagon and a box that hung off the side and a top box. I bought several sets of Snap on screw drivers and the pry bars. I bought sets of combination wrenches in both metric and inch from 1/4"-1", and 6mm-25mm. I also bought the same sizes with the open end on one side and a socket on the other. To shorten this I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets with metric and inch in very small to large, socket head, and star. In all of these I have regular and deep sockets. I have the black impact sockets from 1/2-2 1/4"
\Well, this is getting more time consuming than I thought. In my other box I have Proto, Plumb, Bonney, Craftsman, and others. I do have a 9/32 drive socket set and ratchet."Government issue". I have an ancient Snap On 1/2 drive ratchet that is very old and is very rough in manufacture. Pre chrome.
Most of these have never had my fingerprints on them and probably won't. Not listed are they various sizes of different type and size pliers, vise grips, air impacts and battery powered wrenches.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I bought 4 Dewalt socket sets in the plastic organizer totes. It was the only way to keep the sockets from ending up in the wrong boat or truck. Well worth the money and seem to be excellent quality.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT72165-Piece-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B00GK8ULY6

Made in Taiwan, that’s China, just not commie.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've gotten a couple of 5 gallon buckets of Snap-on sockets over the years for $5 at yard sales and flea markets. Snap-on is not the best but it's still pretty good for the work that I asked of it.

Lot of auction houses also over the years.

I also cruise through the tool section of Home Depot and Lowe's periodically when I'm buying Lumber or whatever. Picked up some amazingly good deals as they're trying to clearance out old stock.

Full 200 piece sets... all three sizes $25. Obviously the SKU is a discontinued item but who cares for 25 bucks I have a set of wrenches and sockets.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As a matter of principle I will not buy anything at a pawn shop.

Fuuck buying stolen chit.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Big ole plastic bins of tools and stuff in pawn shops around here.
25 cents to 2 bucks

You could put yourself together a good tool bag for probably under 30 bucks easy
1/4 to 3/4 drive
High quality brand stuff.

Just gotta rat fugg around in the boxes putting a set up in order.

No shame doing it ......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

80% Chinese

“At this time, about 75% of our current product lineup is made in Taiwan, 19% in the United States, and 5% in China. You can find the country of origin for every tool on Tekton.com by scrolling to the bottom of the product page and referring to the "Specs" section.”

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I bought 4 Dewalt socket sets in the plastic organizer totes. It was the only way to keep the sockets from ending up in the wrong boat or truck. Well worth the money and seem to be excellent quality.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT72165-Piece-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B00GK8ULY6

Made in Taiwan, that’s China, just not commie.

When the methheads relieved me of most of my tools last fall I couldn't afford to replace them all with made in the USA.

Ended up buying a fair bit from Taiwan, which according to my research has much better quality control than China.

As for sockets I bought separate 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive Gearwrench sets with the 120 point ratchets. Haven't used and abused them much yet but they appear to be very nice quality.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Am needing three complete sets of sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Shallow and deep, metric and standard. Have the ratchets and extensions, just need the sockets. I see shops around here with huge trays of loose sockets and am headed to town today to price them. Looking at American made only.

What do you think, PITA or worth the trouble? Guess it depends on what they want for them and what my time is worth.

If I buy new, do you guys have suppliers that let you build your own sets rather than having to buy a bunch of junk you don't need or want?

I sold all of my snap-on.....

I got good money for them

I rock craftsman and harbor freight at home now.

I use snap-on at work😂

I do have a few snap-on ratchets, wrenches, sockets........

Last edited by fester; 06/13/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I’ve heard of guys replacing lost sockets via the pawn shop drawers.

But 12 fugking sets?

LMFAO. That yard never gonna be done.

This. To replace a lost or odd size, sure. But even then, it is probably easier and maybe cheaper to just buy it new from a hardware or auto parts store. My experience is the pawn shops want more per socket that a new set costs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
As a matter of principle I will not buy anything at a pawn shop.

Fuuck buying stolen chit.

Prolly in some of them Sam. Around here, a copy of every Pawn Ticket goes to LEO.

Buddy owns one. Mostly Guns, Ammo, and Archery gear.

I’ve watched him go in the back and call the Cops when he suspected the items were hot. He’d tell them he’s checking values. Have em wait. Then the Cops arrive. Seen them arrest more than a few.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/13/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
802 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.