Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I really think a lot of my CZ in 7.62. Yesterday I was out trying some loads with 123 Speer Gold Dot bullets. I haven't found that magic load yet, the most consistent running 2250 fps and 1.75" which will more than likely work fine inside of 100 yards, my max. I have tried A-1680, Rx7, and WC-844 and the later is showing the most promise at 31.5 grains. The 1680 gives the most speed but, the lack of accuracy is putting me off. I may work a little more with Rx7 or just load up the 844 and call it good.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am not fond of that protruding box magazine for a hunting rifle. Might be ok for a prairie dog hunt if one needs magazine capacity for volley fire. I’ll pass. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two CZ 527's, one is a wood stocked American model .22 Hornet, the other a synthetic-stocked .223 M1 model, with the three-round magazine. Both are exceptionally accurate, with factory ammo. The triggers, in addition to the set feature, can be adjusted down to acceptable pull weights for overall use. Excellent rifles.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 527 American in .223 and it's a great shooter. I've killed one barbado sheep at 104 yards with the Nosler 50 grain ballistic tip handload at about 3200 fps. He was quartering towards me so I put the crosshairs on the point of the shoulder and squeezed it off. He went straight down and never moved. Other than coons, that's the only larger animal I've shot with it. 25.0 grains of IMR 3031/Remington 7-1/2 primer is my recipe.

I didn't have any luck getting any bullet over 62 grains to group decently due to the 1:12 twist. I dropped down to the 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip and that load puts them all under an inch.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In addition to my CZ 527 .223, I also have a Savage Axis II .223. For some reason, the ammo 'sweet spots' for both rifles are the factory Fiocchi 40 gr. V-Max, and the Remington ammo with a 62 gr. TSX bullet. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with the 62 gr. TSX, if it were legal where I was hunting.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Last 4 years a cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel has been my go to deer rifle. I am curious how long until a factory 6mm ARCbecomes an option? A lower recoil option for my 10 year old son is of interest to me. Perhaps Ill need to purchase my first Howa Mini b4 long.

If you reload, a 6 Creedmoor is an interesting option for a bolt gun. Reduced loads in the 6 ARC realm should be easy.

I recently picked up a very slightly used Ruger American Predator in 6 Creed, and plan on adding a Boyd's adjustable laminate stock so my son and wife can shoot it well. It'll likely be his first deer rifle this fall. Later I'll add a suppressor to the mix. :-)

(All that said, a 6 ARC upper is likely in my near future as well...)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
63gr Sierra .223rem
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6.5 Grendel would be my first choice for a youth deer rifle. 7.62x39 would be my second choice and is on my short list to get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both the Howa Mini and Ruger American Ranch are also offered in 6.5 Grendel.

The Grendel may be a good compromise between the 223 and 7.62x39.

Be interesting if CZ, Ruger or Howa jump onboard the 6mm ARC bandwagon.

Given a choice between 223 and the Soviet round, I think the Soviet round wins.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty
Last 4 years a cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel has been my go to deer rifle. I am curious how long until a factory 6mm ARCbecomes an option? A lower recoil option for my 10 year old son is of interest to me. Perhaps Ill need to purchase my first Howa Mini b4 long.

If you reload, a 6 Creedmoor is an interesting option for a bolt gun. Reduced loads in the 6 ARC realm should be easy.

I recently picked up a very slightly used Ruger American Predator in 6 Creed, and plan on adding a Boyd's adjustable laminate stock so my son and wife can shoot it well. It'll likely be his first deer rifle this fall. Later I'll add a suppressor to the mix. :-)

It wouldn't fit a 527 action.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

That's true, and if that's an absolute requirement then the 6 ARC would be a good alternative. Better velocity for the same BC (lighter bullets) than the 6.5 Grendel, and plenty of power for deer sized game. It's better suited to predator/varmint hunting as well.

That said, a Ruger Predator (for instance) isn't much heavier than a 527, if any, and will shoot right with it. Even if you add an aftermarket stock its cost is reasonable, and likely less than the CZ. To each his own.

@AB2506, Howa committed to chambering the 6 ARC, so that mini is likely. List of some initial manufacturers is at: https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumped a deer at 400 yds with a 6BR 105 amax at 2850 mv.......

The ARC and Grendel to me are solid rounds to around 300, but can go further if using bullets that will expand while going thru vitals.

I see either a great choice, IF CZ would chamber in their carbine model as they do the 223 and 7.62. They need little barrel to burn powder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by PreciousLiberty

It fits an AR; why not a 527?

For those who, like me, dislike DMs that hang down and/or can't be loaded from the top or even single-loaded, this might work. Howa Mini, Oregunsmithing bottom metal. Available in .223, 6.5 G, and 7.62x39. 6 ARC in the works they say.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve enjoyed a few 7.62x39 rifles. For such an ugly little cartridge it sure is fun to deer hunt and handload. I even pulled FMJ bullets from steel case Norinco ammo, and seated same weight soft point game bullets over the same powder charge, then crimped in place with the Lee factory crimp die. Then it didn’t matter how far into the briar patch the SKS flung the empties. When handloading good brass cases (Lapua) I would remove the op rod and use it like a bolt action rifle. The SKS was fun and accurate but ugly. Replaced it with CZ 527 in same. The 527 Carbine stock is not fun with scopes (eye alignment with low comb) but I see CZ later came out with the x39 in the American version, a good move! I now have, of all things (!) a Ruger No.1 in 7.62x39. Who would have ever guessed the x39 would be a Ruger No.1 chambering?!?!

Last edited by Alaninga; 07/03/20.
RLA Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with the synthetic stock. I hope to get a shot at a coyote or pig with it.
picked up some Tula soft points for practice and coyotes.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I am considering one for my 8 year old daughter.I'm not sure yet if I want the 223 or 7.62X39.I am interested in a mild recoiling,light weight deer rifle.

What good factory deer loads will shoot well in the short 1:12 twist 223? I know we won't be shooting over 100 yards so I am sure it is enough to get the job done.I am just interested in what good factory loadings it will shoot well.I am very interested in the TSX factory loads from this rifle.

Also does anyone think the 7.62 is a much better choice? I haven't researched good ammo for it but I think it is more limited in choices.
The 7.62x39 is close to a .30-30 which we all know is one of the best deer rifles ever for shorter ranges. If you can find a good 130 grain bullet that shoots good in it I would think that's a better choice for deer.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was going to complain about the price point.

Then I remembered how much I already have tied up in 7.62x39 caliber guns and ammo. The point became pointless at that time.

And do not forget that you can buy an SKS and 2k of ammo for the cost of one CZ.

Even you Canadians are allowed the SKS, and you get them much cheaper than we do down here in the U.S.

And yes, a 7.62x39 will kill a black bear. The performance and power level are the same as a 30-30, so anything that you would tackle with a lever action 30-30 you can do with the 7.62x39.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’d never hunt with an SKS in this lifetime. I’d never hunt with cheap, plinker/defense ammo, either. I’d hunt with a 527 or Howa mini, no matter what it was chambered in. If range ammo for it was cheap, bonus. SKSs are high enough around here that your better off buying an AK or AR, for the purposes I’d find for an SKS. Just me. There’s a point where a gun is too ugly or ergonomically unfriendly to hunt with, and that covers most Russian-designed stuff, for me. My only hang up over the 7.62x39 is the bore/ bullet variations from .308-.312.....if it was a guaranteed .308, .or else, I’d probably feel better about it overall.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Like said earlier 527 has been a favored deer rifle for me for some time now. 6.5 Grendel barrel was recently removed to give a 22" 6mm ARC barrel a try this year. Grendel never disappointed me though I expect the 6 ARC will do just fine as well. All with the option of a little less push on a youth hunter.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
mudhen
Do you know what factory loads he used or do you have any idea which loads his rifle shot well?

Do you think the 7.62X39 would have too much recoil or is your decision based on fewer loads available?

The 527 has a reputation for splitting the stocks (from recoil) at the tang (7.62x39s only). It's a lot of cartridge for that action/stock. I think I'd try the .223, and use the Hornady 60gr. Whitetail Hunter ammo.
I have four 527s, I'm not a hater by any means, but mine are in varmint chamberings.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 11 year old stepson will be using my 527 chambered in 6.5 Grendel tomorrow for our state youth deer hunt. I like the rifle but haven’t had a chance to hunt with it yet.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.