Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What do you guys wear? Me and a buddy were drawn for NM unit 36 and we are gearing up... He has a pair of Lowa's and I have had good luck with Danners but what else is out there?
Thanks

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
https://lathropandsons.com/collections/l-s-brand-boots/products/lathrop-sons-mountain-hunter

Or

https://shop.gohunt.com/products/hanwag-alaska-gtx

I have one pair of each, love them both. Both have Lathrop and Sons proprietary insoles which I highly recommend.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I really like these lightweight Meindl’s in 800 insulation - light comfortable warm and while not

https://meindlusa.com/pages/shipping-policy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

IC B2

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I wear Russel's Grand Slam Sheep Hunters with the Air Bob sole and 400 grams of Thinsulate. They are pricey but you order them to fit your foot (you take 9 different measurements of your foot, ankle and leg) so you know they fit and they take very little break in time.

https://www.russellmoccasin.com/grand-slam-sheep-hunter/

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys! lots to explore..... I will be calling Lathrop tomorrow. Out of curiosity, it seems like most boots now have a rubber rand around the bottom vs a traditional stitched on sole, anyone know why? Is it to protect the boot? Does it keep the sole on better?

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No matter what boots you select I highly recommend gaiters. You can walk through lots of water, snow, brush, etc and gaiters will keep the inside of your boots amazingly dry. I have walked through rivers and creeks deeper than my boots and the gaiters kept my feet dry.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Thanks guys! lots to explore..... I will be calling Lathrop tomorrow. Out of curiosity, it seems like most boots now have a rubber rand around the bottom vs a traditional stitched on sole, anyone know why? Is it to protect the boot? Does it keep the sole on better?

Just a guess as I don’t make boots for a living, but I would guess protects the boots from scratches, improved water proofing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The time of the year you are hunting is telling. Early archery/muzzleloader season I wear Solomon hikers and then later on I wear Asolo 250 Powermatics which are not insulated. I stopped wearing "hunting" boots and went the route of hiking boot several years ago. Unless it is bitter cold Then I have some Cabelas Outfitter boots with 800 grams of insulation. I always wear some kind of gaiters especially with snow on the ground.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shootsacreed
The time of the year you are hunting is telling. Early archery/muzzleloader season I wear Solomon hikers and then later on I wear Asolo 250 Powermatics which are not insulated. I stopped wearing "hunting" boots and went the route of hiking boot several years ago. Unless it is bitter cold Then I have some Cabelas Outfitter boots with 800 grams of insulation. I always wear some kind of gaiters especially with snow on the ground.

This. I definitely gravitate more and more towards a light hiker. I think some guys would be very surprised at their overall energy level and leg/foot muscle and soreness differences after a day of hiking around the mountains in 2-2.5 lb hiking/backpacking boots vs 4-5 lb hunting boots.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I agree, except with the gaiters (they lead to excessive sweating in the feet and lower legs for me when there is not snow on the ground.) NM GMU36 is a relatively low elevation unit (with the exception of Sierra Blanca which is on the reservation.) Depending on the hunt, timing, and the unpredictable weather; it can be cold and wet or HOT and dry. Comfortable and waterproof would be my preference over strength and support. I have spent a lot of time in 36 - very little shale-infested, ankle-breaking areas. Some lightweight, waterproof hikers would be great on most hunts.

Congrats on a nearly impossible draw. 36 holds some monster elk!!! Don't let pride get in the way of killing a monster. Some of the biggest elk I've seen up there are in the forest areas right near town. PM me if you want more details.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
In archery season I typically have on either Lowa Caminos or Rangers. If I want a lighter weight boot I also picked up a pair of Crispi Thors. Lots of choices out there. Problem many times for us guys on the east coast is finding them in a store to try on.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bobinpa

The soles are glued on a lot of hunting boots. The rubber rand protects that joint .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

This. I definitely gravitate more and more towards a light hiker. I think some guys would be very surprised at their overall energy level and leg/foot muscle and soreness differences after a day of hiking around the mountains in 2-2.5 lb hiking/backpacking boots vs 4-5 lb hunting boots.

Totally agree on that. I hate heavy hunting boots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hmm.....they are really heavy but this looks like a good deal if your hunting in flat country and don't mind carrying a ton of weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenetrek-Mens-Mountain-Guide-Non-Insulated-Boots-all-sizes/254458778794?epid=22018257504&hash=item3b3eecd4aa:m:mmfzJghpFqsLMinH_KaVHRA

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I did see Midway USA had a few pairs of Lowa Camino size 11 only for like $175 almost 50% off. That would be a good boot if it fits.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No advice on the boots, but you got drawn for a good unit! I got my bear near Nogal in 2016. We saw a lot of elk and some really nice bulls.

He went over yonder way
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also do not use "hunting boots" but La Sportiva boots along with gators, if its a late hunt you need to get water resistant boots, and for sure knee high gaiters. They can be worn with any boot, and in the desert and mountains.

T
T
My Crispi Idahos are pretty tough to beat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.