Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
trplem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
The closest I've found to me, admittedly without much looking, is in the small town of Auroraville. That's a bit north of the intersection of 21 & 49 in NE WI. Anyone out there know of one a bit closer to Appleton? The drive's not bad since Union-Star cheese is on the way there, and I'll stop by my folks on the way back. It's just a haul when I run out and bourbon & branch is on the menu.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Allardt Tennessee has a good one.

T
trplem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Good to know, especially as it was formed by fellow ex-Michigan kids about 80 years before I came along(per wikipedia). Another good one would be in Cazenovia, NY a bit down the street from where Dad grew up. This would be in upstate NY, BTW, Where there might could be a few red hats on display.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by trplem
Good to know, especially as it was formed by fellow ex-Michigan kids about 80 years before I came along(per wikipedia). Another good one would be in Cazenovia, NY a bit down the street from where Dad grew up. This would be in upstate NY, BTW, Where there might could be a few red hats on display.

Yeah,...Bruno Gernt.

I've rented his old homestead for a few nights here and there. The artesian well is within walking distance of his old house.

Fun place to live history.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Don't know if you mean artesian or free flowing, but there is a free flowing well just outside my home town. It is in a small picnic/day use area in a small state park. Mom, and many other people, would get water from the overflow pipe to use for coffee and tea. Haven't been there in 30 or 40 years, but I'll bet it's still running at 3-5 gallons per minute just like it has since the CCC put the pipe in back in the 30s.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Deep Rock water in denver was artesian. No idea if all the development and growth has stopped the flow. I'm not sure it was enough ever to not need some pumping.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Eastern MT has many free flowing wells. Will flow without being pumped. My understanding from the MT school of mines all water from underground is artesian.

In MT all free flowing wells now must have a shutoff device .

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is one in Plantersville and in Humble Texas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Common in these parts.

There’s a vein that goes through the county. Several wells along the road. Every body and their brother lined up at the big well after Katrina.

Has a distinct taste. Not sulfur. Just different.

Back corner of my place has a very small spring head. Wet year round.

Thought about one of those DIY wells with the pvc pipe and water pump. Fraid i get it going and can’t stop it.

When i bought the place i wanted to make a pond. Nrcs guy probed it. Too much sand. Makes sense for that area.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
trplem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hook
Don't know if you mean artesian or free flowing, but there is a free flowing well just outside my home town. It is in a small picnic/day use area in a small state park. Mom, and many other people, would get water from the overflow pipe to use for coffee and tea. Haven't been there in 30 or 40 years, but I'll bet it's still running at 3-5 gallons per minute just like it has since the CCC put the pipe in back in the 30s.

It wouldn't be unlikely-the well I'm referencing in WI is that old. The Caz well is at least that old as well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My friend on a beautiful mountain in West Virginia where tourists travel for camping/hiking/mountain top overlook (on the state land) has one next to his house. It did go dry with the two months drought last summer, but usually flows with delicious water. It's almost heaven West Virginia, state Motto. He has other water sources for back up . He and his wife decided to buy the place BEFORE they even set foot inside the house.

Another friend who died recently had a bunch on her land. She had enough wild Edibles too and goats to keep her and the 5 children, chickens, dogs, goats well fed and healthy. What an interesting smart woman she was.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ipopum
Eastern MT has many free flowing wells. Will flow without being pumped. My understanding from the MT school of mines all water from underground is artesian.

In MT all free flowing wells now must have a shutoff device .

I forget where but in the news a while back, a state forced the land owners to do that with water meters and pay the state for there own water.

Here, they charge us for square footage of rainfall depending on roof area.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I looked at a farm house for sale just west of Sunset Curve a few years ago... the farm once used the artesian well to cool the milk cans before the invention of bulk tanks... a very cool set up... very few people would see and appreciate the free cooling power. and free flow of the water for the cattle...

I really wanted that place.... couldn't get the bank to come down to my level...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
T
trplem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mikieb
I looked at a farm house for sale just west of Sunset Curve a few years ago... the farm once used the artesian well to cool the milk cans before the invention of bulk tanks... a very cool set up... very few people would see and appreciate the free cooling power. and free flow of the water for the cattle...

I really wanted that place.... couldn't get the bank to come down to my level...

Might could have driven near by the place you're talking about yesterday. That is one fine looking part of our state, whether seen from a fifteen year old pickup or thirty year old Trek bike. I've the great good luck of having a dad that bought a place with his buddies that has a clear spring down around Richland Center. Us young kids still haul water up to the cabin when we're about the place. It has gotten to be a bit harder on us since the '80s, I have to admit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While not an artesian well we have a spring that provides us with great water 7 or 8 month's a year! It's dug into the hill behind our house and the water is theraputic according to the summer peeps who take some.We drink lake water when the spring freezes or occasionlly dry's up to no ill effect!

Last edited by waterrat; 06/13/20.

I tend to use more than enough gun
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My uncle had one on his farm on south central Mississippi. Don’t know if it’s still running but it had the metallic taste and was nice and cold.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pretty much everywhere in Maine. Can’t throw a rock and not hit a spring there...

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Lots of running springs here where I live.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The city of LaCrosse has one, but Auroralville is closer.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Plenty of them in Jackson Mich. area

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.