Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I had a Chevy with that, my main current ride is a Subaru Forester. (go ahead, bring on the gay jokes...LOL)

The Chevy mileage calculator was about 10 % optimistic. Subtract about 10 % of the reading and you were in the ballpark.

Subaru is in the 5-8 % range over what is achieved in real life.

If the Chevy said 30 MPH, it was more like 27. Subaru says 36, more like 34 or thereabouts. Most people are too lazy to figure the real mileage out.
Not to mention there would be some variance between gas pumps. I drive like the old man that I am, so it doesn't really matter with the 45 miles I drive per day during the week.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

It’s irritating that Ford has the ability to make these readings accurate but chooses not to but at least they provided us the means to correct it.

There's a lot of variables in play and it's not surprising that calculated mpg differs a bit from actual mpg. A 6.7% error is not bad for the default setting. It's good that you can adjust the reading to make it a closer match. In order for Ford to get it closer, they'd have to do what you did; run a couple of tanks of gas through it, calculate actual MPG and then do the adjustment. Needless to say that's not practical for every vehicle they make with an MPG computer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ignore the computer and Google "internal combustion engine thermal efficiency."

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Side question: How did you like your Tundra? I’ve read their mileage sucks, not as capable for hauling heavy load as Ford or Dodge, but is much better on maintenance. Is this match your experience?

I had two different Tundras, a 2007 with the 4.7L and a 2010 with the 5.7. With the exception of the same major problem on both of them, they were extremely reliable. Both had air injection pump and air injection valve problems. The ‘07 was covered under warranty but the ‘10 was past that coverage so I traded it in on the F-150. Only 7300 miles on the F-150 so far so I don’t really know anything about its reliability but I can say that the 3.5 Ecoboost has more balls than the 5.7 Tundra did and pulls noticeably harder and gets noticeably better fuel milage. So far, so good.

Back to the Tundra reliability. We’re it not for the air injection problems, I’d have nothing bad to say about them. Neither consumed or leaked a drop of fluids between oil changes all the way up to the 185,000 miles where I parted with them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The mileage calculator in my 2014 with the 3.5 Ecoboost is accurate if you fill up, then drive on the freeway and get off and fill up again. It doesn't calculate in idling and winter warm ups.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a plain jane XLT -2013 3.7 and never seemed to sniff that >20 mpg as advertised. My current tires are a bit larger than factory so I am wondering what I really am getting?

BTW- I got Cooper MTP's that are ridiculously good in mud but as loud as they are good. Gonna have to change em out.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"My current tires are a bit larger than factory so I am wondering what I really am getting?'

Why didn't you have your speedo corrected when you got larger tires (or do it yourself)?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2five7
Even hand calculations have a variance in accuracy, the pump doesn't always stop at the exact same amount every time, even on the same pump. Hard to say which method is actually more accurate without some seriously accurate testing equipment.

States sometimes have someone who goes around to verify that a gallon sold is actually a gallon...
They check what once a year?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Does calculating or reading it actually change anything? When it gets low you fill up. When it’s below zero you fill up at half a tank. Simple. Ed k

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have the baby eco-boost motor. Mine reads 19.4 MPG and my hand calc'd MPG is 19.2. So, it's either pretty accurate or someone did your steps already. I've tried to find reasons to not like this motor. But so far, I can't.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ERK
Most of the good old trucks never made 100000 miles and some of the new ones make 300000 plus. Old is old. Ed k

Correct.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by ERK
Most of the good old trucks never made 100000 miles and some of the new ones make 300000 plus. Old is old. Ed k

You're right about that old is old but those classics sure look good and are still fun to drive. Here's mine, and I dont calculate the gas mileage, I just dont pass up a gas station.

Love your truck sir!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 45 invisible), 2,960 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.