Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
going up the beeline, if you can access facebook, just wild the fire

Translation into English?

if you can access the links on facebook, it's pictures of the fire on both sides of the highway from phoenix to payson, also known locally as the beeline highway. the video's of the area are really quite something to see. the whole highway was shut down.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron, my son is down there fighting the Bighorn fire just outside of Tuscon. Couldn't imagine 107 temps with a 50 lb. pack and gear on. Wild lands fire fighters are pretty tough.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Ron, my son is down there fighting the Bighorn fire just outside of Tuscon. Couldn't imagine 107 temps with a 50 lb. pack and gear on. Wild lands fire fighters are pretty tough.

winds as i understand it are causing multiple issues.
this is the season for the state to burn.
that area going up to payson is a favorite for offroaders, people were caught in there as i understand it from the fast moving fire.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw where there was an evacuation order for Punkin Center and Tonto Basin for the Bush fire.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6773/

There is also the 24,000 acre Mangum fire on the North Kaibab, 12AW
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6748/

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I called the Bighorn in at first light Saturday morning as I was on a roof. I'm sure it was already known but it was just a smoldering patch at that point.

Hope your son stays safe. Really appreciate those guys. Crazy to see what it's become. It's burning uphill towards Summerhaven. If it crowns up there it's gonna be bad. Insane the manpower I've seen on it...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
God bless them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the the kind words guy's. My wife never should have watched Only the brave. She gets pretty nervous when he in on the bigger fires. His crew just got asked to stay an extra week. 12 to 14 hour days without any time off would be brutal in that heat.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the the kind words guy's. My wife never should have watched Only the brave. She gets pretty nervous when he in on the bigger fires. His crew just got asked to stay an extra week. 12 to 14 hour days without any time off would be brutal in that heat.

i was sitting on my front porch in prescott, when that went down. the area is happened in was south of prescott little place called yarnell. i commented to some of the other porch sitters, maybe big issue as i had hunted that area multiple times. lots of very thick overgrown brush, high winds, knarly country. i had to walk out of that place one time over ten miles in the summer limited water, almost killed us. anyway it went down, and there is a memorial there now for where the bodies were found. multiple page reports on what happened, and blame shuffling. my own opinion is mgt screwups from a lay person's perspectives, should have gotten out. consequently, those killed who had signed agreements temp workers, no insurance, etc. had families etc. the lawsuite started, public sympathy, the city of prescott ended up agreeing to pay out a heck of a lot of money. I am not commenting if that was righteous or not. but in one case a woman as i understand it hit the lottery, was in divorce proceedings with the guy, still got the payout. Their marshalling yards were just down the street from my house. the memorial service they had people from all over the country there. the fourth of july parade which is traditional in prescott was a tearjerker, everyone crying at the entry to memorialize them. There is a "P" on the hill entering prescott, been there for years. Sincer that happened, every year there is a "19" placed up there to commemorate the dates. I can see it from my porch. There was a fire up there too that week, i was wondering if it was gonna roll into town.
It's like this bush fire, i have a number of friends living in the pumkin center area, probably already ou t.
people unfamilar with arizona don't know the ruggedness of that country and how you can get trapped pretty easy. no low risk job for sure.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 06/15/20.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm up here a Christopher creek, I need to be home in mesa tomorrow evening. If they don't open 87 it'll make a 90 minute drive into a 4 hour via Young or Showlow. Hearing 188 is closed through Tonto basin.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the bright side, its burning out the COVID........................................ grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Damn hate to hear this. Hoping the firefighters stay safe!

Camp several years back with the Arizona and other campfire folks. Tonto basin. Not far from Punkin Center.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
going up the beeline, if you can access facebook, just wild the fire

Translation into English?

The Beeline Hwy is AZ state route 87 between Mea and Payson.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I spent some time in your state last spring coming down from Utah through the Kaibab, slowly making our way to Phoenix to fly home.

Gorgeous state...

Arent the fires a natural way to rejuvenate the fauna? I realize the obvious negatives towards the houses etc etc.... its not something we see back east so Im unsure, but did notice lots of areas on our tour that seemed recently burned, in fact I think from Flagstaff to Sedona on 89A was all charred up if I recall properly.

Hope everyone is safe.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep, fires suck.

My good bud, Daniel Laird died in a chopper crash in Texas........

Soooooo...... his kids
mom died 2 weeks ago. Ughhhh.
Thought I’d share that. Think about the young girl if you got a moment.

Last edited by fester; 06/15/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AZ and NM feature some interesting firescapes from year to year, and often annually. The very low deserts rarely burn very far due to sparsity of fuel, but the high deserts often go roaring fueled by dry grasses, mesquite, then manzanita and juniper. It becomes even more intense up higher with the mix of juniper, cedar and pinyon. Add those in the high elevation ponderosa/conifer forests in more steep terrain, when dry and with wind, and the fires become very intense and fast moving. Very difficult to control/extinguish - much appreciation to those who do that work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Those guys define tough. Strong thoughts to you and your family.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Sir!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Saw where there was an evacuation order for Punkin Center and Tonto Basin for the Bush fire.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6773/

There is also the 24,000 acre Mangum fire on the North Kaibab, 12AW
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6748/

Mangum fire progression map for you Kaibab Hunters

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/6748/0/98078

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 43 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,513
Posts18,452,664
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.