J
Talk about toe-jam

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
what are you going to do with the money?

OP..........don't mind SL........

he's from TN.........blush

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BHays
I’ve been using Google which is how I ended up here.

You must have searched for racist right wing extremist deplorable by mistake.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Howdy! I’m new here and not sure whether asking for comments on the dollar value of a couple of rifles is appropriate, but here goes. I’m looking to sell two of my father’s rifles: a model 722 Remington, .222 w/ 26 inch barrel and a model 722 .257 Roberts. Both are in very good condition. Any advice, guesses, etc as to what they are worth sold in a private sale in Kansas, where such sales are legal?

That's a tough question to answer without seeing them. My advice would be to look at Gunsamerica and gunsinternational and see what others are asking for guns in similar shape. Armslist has a little bit of a reputation for having scammers on it, so I stay away from it. You can look at Gunbroker too, then list them here. That's the best advice I can give you. Good luck

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not really up on the older Remington's but .222 and .257 are desirable. I would sell the Lyman Super target Spot separately, In good shape they are bringing $750 to $1000.00.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It really depends. As was said Gunbroker and such give you a rough idea of what people think they're worth retail. But it's regional, it's what the buyer thinks it's worth. Ferinstance a nice center fire semiauto might show a good bluebook (or whatever) price but won't sell for anything reasonable around where I am because all semiautos get slandered as jam-o-mmatixs. I know a guy that buys/sells in addition to his other businesses. The guy has proven trustworthy and he knows the local market. His quotes are what he can sell it for locally plus a reasonable profit (doesn't do Internet sales). Find a guy like that. Not easy I know.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Since we doing what’s it worth....

What’s this worth?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Take that 12 gauge and blow those nails off,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Fishing for somebody to buy the next round? smile

Ah you know..sell everything dad own so I can buy a few 8 balls and throw a party.

One generation makes it

The next spends it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Your characterization of condition does not mean anything as we do not know you.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks! I’m going to use the $3 to buy a senior coffee and sausage biscuit at McDonalds. I’ve been using Google which is how I ended up here. I’ll probably offer them for sale on Armslist. The .222 has a 15x Lyman SuperTarget spot on it that I think would sell better on EBay. I’m tempted to keep the triple deuce. I used to shoot varmits and targets with my Dad. I had a .219 Donaldson Wasp, custom made by a friend. I bought it used. We did the hand loading together. I think it was a 30/30 brass necked down to .22. Or maybe a .30.06. Beautiful wood. Heavy duty bull barrel, Mauser action, set triggers, etc. Dad used to say it was “ the which to which there was no whicher.” I don’t shoot anymore so I’ve decided to pass the torch. I think I sold the .219 to buy a field grade 20 gauge Ithaca that I sold to buy bicycles for my kids. Well, enough reminiscing. Thanks again. More comments welcome.

I'd use some of the funds to take a night school class on the proper use of the return button / paragraph structure.

Pops would be proud.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.220, .221 whatever it takes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Fishing for somebody to buy the next round? smile

Ah you know..sell everything dad own so I can buy a few 8 balls and throw a party.

One generation makes it

The next spends it.

By the way, that was supposed to be an I'm just kidding icon. Something about Firefox, Windows 7, and this site makes frames not always render right.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GOD damn man trade that pump gun for an axe to trim them nails

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Musta been a full moon.

What’s this worth?

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks! I’m going to use the $3 to buy a senior coffee and sausage biscuit at McDonalds. I’ve been using Google which is how I ended up here. I’ll probably offer them for sale on Armslist. The .222 has a 15x Lyman SuperTarget spot on it that I think would sell better on EBay. I’m tempted to keep the triple deuce. I used to shoot varmits and targets with my Dad. I had a .219 Donaldson Wasp, custom made by a friend. I bought it used. We did the hand loading together. I think it was a 30/30 brass necked down to .22. Or maybe a .30.06. Beautiful wood. Heavy duty bull barrel, Mauser action, set triggers, etc. Dad used to say it was “ the which to which there was no whicher.” I don’t shoot anymore so I’ve decided to pass the torch. I think I sold the .219 to buy a field grade 20 gauge Ithaca that I sold to buy bicycles for my kids. Well, enough reminiscing. Thanks again. More comments welcome.

A few thoughts about selling the rifles:

1) Personally, I would use Gun Broker as the auction venue.
2) Pictures. LOTS of pictures. Good quality pictures.
3) Set the auction up for at least for 10 days duration. Preferably two weeks or one month. Longer time for potential buyers to see the listing before it ends.
4) Set the auction up to end on a Saturday evening or Sunday evening. Higher potential for "last minute" bids, or a potential small bidding war.
5) Do not use a "reserve". Set the minimum bid price at the lowest absolute price that you are willing to accept. Some bidders will not bid on a rifle with an undisclosed reserve price. With the minimum bid price set and no reserve, bidders know that they will win the auction if they are high bidder at the end of the auction.
6) If you are feeling really sporty, start off with a one penny opening bid and no reserve. You will find the true value of the rifle. This has the potential to result in a higher final bid price than #5 by virtue of attracting a larger group of interested bidders while the price is still low.

Regardless which path you take, good luck with your sale !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000

A few thoughts about selling the rifles:

1) Personally, I would use Gun Broker as the auction venue.
2) Pictures. LOTS of pictures. Good quality pictures.
3) Set the auction up for at least for 10 days duration. Preferably two weeks or one month. Longer time for potential buyers to see the listing before it ends.
4) Set the auction up to end on a Saturday evening or Sunday evening. Higher potential for "last minute" bids, or a potential small bidding war.
5) Do not use a "reserve". Set the minimum bid price at the lowest absolute price that you are willing to accept. Some bidders will not bid on a rifle with an undisclosed reserve price. With the minimum bid price set and no reserve, bidders know that they will win the auction if they are high bidder at the end of the auction.
6) If you are feeling really sporty, start off with a one penny opening bid and no reserve. You will find the true value of the rifle. This has the potential to result in a higher final bid price than #5 by virtue of attracting a larger group of interested bidders while the price is still low.

Regardless which path you take, good luck with your sale !

Come on, man...you know this is WAY too much work! Someone should just come along and offer the OP $3000 each and pay for the packing and shipping.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

What’s this worth?

Your Old Lady needs a pedicure...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I’ve been using Google which is how I ended up here.

You must have searched for racist right wing extremist deplorable by mistake.

As opposed to the flip side of that coin? Yeah, I’ll take it...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As has been suggested by others regarding auctions.....Gunbroker is a great site. I’ve sold hundreds of firearms on Gunbroker and was extremely impressed by the buyers, for the most part they were competent and informed.

I never used a reserve price. I priced the firearm at my bottom dollar and let the market dictate what it sold for. I don’t think I ever sold a firearm for my bottom dollar since they always seemed to get multiple bids, maybe once or twice but it was nothing special. Most times it sold for what I had expected and many times it sold for considerably more than I expected. A dozen or 2 dozen times it sold for substantially more than I expected. I didn’t use the buy it now function unless I was selling new stock.

I ran most auctions for a week, sometimes 5 days. I found that the longer auctions didn’t get the views or the bids that the shorter auctions received. Gun guys usually want immediate satisfaction and don’t like to wait so the shorter auctions saw more action IME. If you had something unusual, rare or hard to find then the longer auctions might increase exposure but for a nice, older hunting/shooting setup like yours I think a 7 day auction is the way to go. In my experience most of the bids from serious buyers were placed in the final hours of the auction, no matter if the auction was for 3 days or 30 days.

I had a fixed price for UPS ground shipping of long guns which I think was $30. Sometimes shipping was less and sometimes it was a little more but by having a fixed shipping cost it took some of the trepidation away from the buyer. Buyers don’t want surprises or hidden costs so being upfront with the fixed shipping price alleviated those worries.

Welcome to the Campfire and good luck on your auctions. 👍

PS.....I would strongly advise you to use Gunbroker NOT Armslist.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
+1, good advice from orion and aces.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.