Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

All DOT approved tires won't pull worth a crap in gumbo mud, marl or baby yellow. Chains are a must have for anyone who ventures off road.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Horse1,
Yah the all terrain with a three peak snowflake rating is the way to go, value wise. One set of tires for all season here in Alaska.

BFG AT, Goodyear Duratrac and Falken AT3W all have it. Of those three, the Duratracs are the best in mud. Falken are ok, but mine are made in Taiwan.

BFG AT ko2, though good on ice and snow, are terrible in the mud. With front and rear differential lockers engaged on an 80 series landcruiser, they still sucked on my muddy road that has no state service. Could barely get out even with lockers in spring.

Nitto Exo Grapplers outperform the BFG KO2 and DuraTracs on a 3/4Tn truck in slippery (ice/snow) and muddy conditions.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

All DOT approved tires won't pull worth a crap in gumbo mud, marl or baby yellow. Chains are a must have for anyone who ventures off road.

Chain a 4wd in snow/ice and it's amazing how good you can get around.

Even just the front end makes a hell of a difference just dont try to set any speed records.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Chain a 4wd in snow/ice and it's amazing how good you can get around.

Even just the front end makes a hell of a difference just dont try to set any speed records.

If ya got the clearance on body parts......

this is the way to go in mud

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Utah mud.......as most others.....

Chains........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don't have the clearance on the front of a 4x4 and you chain up the back; do you run in 4 wheel drive???

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Reba
If you don't have the clearance on the front of a 4x4 and you chain up the back; do you run in 4 wheel drive???

Sure seems like you'd be putting a lot of bind/chattering into the system. Sometimes you do what you've gotta do, but, I sure wouldn't do it often or for very far. YMMV

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Reba

Sure seems like you'd be putting a lot of bind/chattering into the system. Sometimes you do what you've gotta do, but, I sure wouldn't do it often or for very far. YMMV

I there is enough snow, ice or mud to need chains you will get enough tire slippage/spin at each individual tire that binding should not be a problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had Coopers on my 2002 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 since I got wise and got rid of the Firestone POSs that came on it. I have been in mud in New Mexico, Wyoming, Arizona and here in CA and the Coopers have done well. They clean out while driving, throwing mud everywhere. I bought the truck new and it is used mainly for hunting and occasionally for towing our toy hauler. I think this is my third set. I live in the high desert near the Mojave Preserve and the truck gets out there, rain or shine or snow.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.