Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I carry a DW 10mm commander in the woods often. Usually in a Galco pancake style holster. The pancake style works surprisingly well under a pack hip belt. The hip belt actually helps hold the holster in place. Second choice would be a Miami classic style shoulder holster. I can't stand the chest rigs, they almost create a clausterphobic feeling for me, and you can't use the chest strap on the backpack with them either. The leg holster...you go right ahead SWAT guy. I tried and learned that lesson 20 years ago. No way would I walk 100 yards with one of those dangling, flopping around on my thigh, creeping up and cinching the twins.

BP-B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
I’m taking my daughter on a week long backpacking trip in early June and wanting to carry my 1911 Commander...

Extremely poor choice of backpacking sidearm.

Backpacking demands you use your head regarding how much needless weight you carry. Choose something lighter.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
horsechit......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by efw
I’m taking my daughter on a week long backpacking trip in early June and wanting to carry my 1911 Commander...

Backpacking demands you use your head regarding how much needless weight you carry. Choose something lighter.

Good God you weight weenies kill me. I have been carrying a full size 1911 for years without any issues. There are better places to save weight if needed. I can't tell you the difference between my Glock G20 and my 1911, I know there is a difference but damned if I could tell.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
...I have been carrying a full size 1911 for years without any issues...

What does that have to do with backpacking?

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pal

What doesn't it have to do with backpacking????? Seeing it is what I carry when backpacking. And I am in the backcountry a lot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave at Diamond D makes beautiful leather chest holsters for about $175. He just opened a spinoff company making holsters for the nylon crowd. They're $89 each. He makes solid gear.

Leather

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Nylon

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 06/16/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure how my fat old azz packs these tanks into the backcountry. But I do love the Razco FHF combo.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

What doesn't it have to do with backpacking????? Seeing it is what I carry when backpacking. And I am in the backcountry a lot.

Thank you for clarifying your earlier post.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It was always pretty clear as we are in the Backpack Hunting Thread and the heading is 1911 Commander holster for backpacking!

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have had alot of success with Simply Rugged Chesty Puller System. I mostly use it to carry a Ruger Blackhawk or SW 69. It is compatible with most of their holsters to include those for 1911's.. I use their sourdough pancake holster for the revolvers and go back and forth between belt carry or attach to the Chesty Puller harness. Kind of nice that one holster gives you multiple carry options.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecomme...on-System.cfm?item_id=160&parent=672

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
-- Fred Bear
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Holy chest rig Montana, that's a lot of stuff on your chest. You can carry a sandwich and a gun.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Just Bino's and a Pistol. But I like sandwiches! smile

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 06/16/20.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know this post is a little old, but I personally use a Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 drop-leg rig for my 1911 commander frame (Kimber Pro CDP II). Being attached to my leg, it's still with me when I remove the pack for breaks or when I reach camp. Being a level 2 holster, I don't worry about it falling out of the holster if I trip, and it's a little more difficult for someone to try and take from me. You also have the option of attaching two more accessories (mag pouches, pepper spray holsters, knife holsters, flashlight holsters). About the only bad think about the holster is it really doesn't have room for any rail-mounted equipment if you have it. I have mine in coyote tan to look a little less obvious since I wear khaki or tan color pants when backpacking on non-hunting trips.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I carry a DW 10mm commander in the woods often. Usually in a Galco pancake style holster. The pancake style works surprisingly well under a pack hip belt. The hip belt actually helps hold the holster in place. Second choice would be a Miami classic style shoulder holster. I can't stand the chest rigs, they almost create a clausterphobic feeling for me, and you can't use the chest strap on the backpack with them either. The leg holster...you go right ahead SWAT guy. I tried and learned that lesson 20 years ago. No way would I walk 100 yards with one of those dangling, flopping around on my thigh, creeping up and cinching the twins.

Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

^^^This^^^

A pancake holster works well with a commander 1911.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by efw

Good God you weight weenies kill me. I have been carrying a full size 1911 for years without any issues. There are better places to save weight if needed. I can't tell you the difference between my Glock G20 and my 1911, I know there is a difference but damned if I could tell.

Yep. I’ve packed either a Glock 20 or full size Kimber 1911 in 10mm a lot of miles while bow hunting over the years.
Couldn’t tell any difference either.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 75 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.