-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
V
Very useful thread. Every year I am part of an organised group of 50 or so hunters who hunt on a large, semi desert farm in North West Province of SA. Previously everyone was requested to check their zero on a 100 meter range. We now request them to hit an 8 inch gong at 200 metres. Big diference!

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Vlok
Very useful thread. Every year I am part of an organised group of 50 or so hunters who hunt on a large, semi desert farm in North West Province of SA. Previously everyone was requested to check their zero on a 100 meter range. We now request them to hit an 8 inch gong at 200 metres. Big diference!

Is that working out well?

My son and I normally practice on 9" paper plates at 100, 200 and 300 yards, firing our 30-06 rifles from field positions. Often I'll put a steel gong at 300 yards for our practice as well.

Seems to work out well in Washington and Wyoming, I've not yet hunted Africa.

Regards, Guy

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
On three trips to Africa I have fiird one shot only for sight-in. Right on. On the third trip, after 18 days the lions were hitting our bait and the PH suggested verifying the zero--Leupold scope on .375 H&H. It was 3" off at 60 yards. Must have been bouncing around in the bakke.

At the end of that trip, I commented to the PH that he had never had to look in my muzzle. He agreed and said that was unusual. A year later a client of his dropped a .500 NE which discharged and shot one of his appie's arms off.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

At the end of that trip, I commented to the PH that he had never had to look in my muzzle. He agreed and said that was unusual. A year later a client of his dropped a .500 NE which discharged and shot one of his appie's arms off.

I don't know what an "appie" is, but that doesn't sound good.

Guy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
An "appie" is short for Apprentice PH. In Zim, and I'm sure elsewhere, a guy that wants to be a PH has to put in a few years as an "apprentice" PH before he can become a full fledged PH and hunt on his own without further supervision. An apprentice has to get his experience and learn how to hunt, how to handle different situations, and how to work with the client, so usually goes along as an extra hand with the PH and trackers while hunting. In this case, the appie was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by test1328
An "appie" is short for Apprentice PH. In Zim, and I'm sure elsewhere, a guy that wants to be a PH has to put in a few years as an "apprentice" PH before he can become a full fledged PH and hunt on his own without further supervision. An apprentice has to get his experience and learn how to hunt, how to handle different situations, and how to work with the client, so usually goes along as an extra hand with the PH and trackers while hunting. In this case, the appie was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thanks! Was unfamiliar with the term.

Ya, pretty awful danged accident.

Guy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good shooting and good story. Never hunted that continent and probably never will. Have found zeroing for maximum point blank range is pretty effective and efficient for hunting.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1_deuce, 308ld, 257 mag, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 30 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,169
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.