24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been looking at the new 2020 6.7 with 10 speed. Supposedly it make a huge difference. A couple of my buddies are diesel mechanics, and they love the Ford 6.7 engine. The problem is price. I just cant make myself spend $60k on a truck. That's what a XLT goes for around my neck of the woods.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I wouldn't be worried in the least about buying a truck with 150k miles on it. Why anyone would need to add a tunner to a new truck is beyond my comprehension. I can see using a tunner to delete emission codes for a delete. The 7.3 and 6.0 need to be tuned to pull and pass but all the newer diesel trucks have plenty of power. IMO

Last edited by TrueGrit; 06/18/20.

Life is good live it while you can.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have an '11 6.7L F-250 w/167K. The "auto" function of the front hubs quit working as there was a vacuum leak. Tracked that down to passenger-side front hub. Had the upper/lower ball joints done and the vacuum leaking front hub required an all new lockout, apparently it came out in pieces. Driver's side was good and got new O-rings, both corners got new U-joints, alignment, $2100.

I have owned the truck since 100Mi. Got a new radiator and EGR valve under warrantee @ 80K and 90K give or take. My AC will still freeze you out. Brakes right around 100K. My idle time stays a pretty steady 21% of total engine hours. I changed every fluid the truck has as well as the serpentine belt @ 130K. 5K mi oil changes, 10K Mi fuel filter changes. Engine and transmission run like new.

You can check idle hours, and I would. Exhaust-related issues are the only you're likely to encounter and idling is a good indicator.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
the problem isn't the engine per se, its all the complex systems around it. DEF system, regen system. EGR system, just look under the hood, the space shuttle was less complex. All those systems are expensive to fix. just a bunch of crap to go wrong, the mileage is right at the point where you will start seeing issues with these things.

The EPA put me out of the diesel truck driving and owning experience. while it hasn't been like this lately. diesel was running as much as $1/gallon more than gas. I have to ask do you need diesel for heavy loads. unless you need the load capacity there is not need to own a diesel truck anymore IMO. my ecoboost f150's will pull a #6000 trailer over the major mountain grade in my area actually faster than my 2011 6.7 PSD would. what I am saying is ecoboost is going to pull the crap out of loads up to its max weight, I am only buying a superduty if I pull loads over 8000# on a routine basis. I have towed 12k a couple times with my f150 ecoboots and power was never the issue. weight and suspension yeah, but not power.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My biggest issue with the 6.7 is the high pressure fuel system. If you aren't careful with fuel quality and maintenance it can get very expensive.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
My biggest issue with the 6.7 is the high pressure fuel system. If you aren't careful with fuel quality and maintenance it can get very expensive.

Isn’t that the case for all of the “Big 3”?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1

Yes, my 18 RAM came with a double filter/water separator from the factory. Water in the fuel will kill these newer injectors.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have an '11 6.7L F-250 w/167K. The "auto" function of the front hubs quit working as there was a vacuum leak.
Ford still has problems with those.. Especially in very cold weather..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Does the radio work?

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I thought one of them still used the CP3 instead of the CP4, but honestly don't keep up with the new ones. My next one will likely be a gasser.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I thought one of them still used the CP3 instead of the CP4, but honestly don't keep up with the new ones. My next one will likely be a gasser.

Unfortunately for 2019 Cummins is using the CP4, and the failure rate has spiked. GM apparently ditched the CP4 in favor of a Denso pump because of the high failure rate. The CP3 is no longer.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by badger

Unfortunately for 2019 Cummins is using the CP4, and the failure rate has spiked. GM apparently ditched the CP4 in favor of a Denso pump because of the high failure rate. The CP3 is no longer.

however , if you buy a 2018 Cummins or older , you still get the CP3 pump and its much better track record

which makes it my choice if I needed a late model diesel at this time.........

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We had a little rain shower this morning so good time to go bug the local Ford dealer.

Got the keys, took it for a 20 mile spin down the road and it drove like a new pickup. 1700-180RPM and 70mph, 2k makes 80mph. 16 mpg according to the computer, little faster gears than I'd like but close enough.

Newer tires(Falken Wild Peak A./T's), batteries are from 10/18, maintenance maintained. The company guy that drove it for work was going to buy it back for his teenage son but the kid wanted a crew cab. That was the story anyway.

Looking at it I'd say it has 30-40k miles. Clean engine and underneath looks new. Cab is nice, vinyl floor.

Made an uber deal, I think we stole that thing.

Heads to Chinook next week for a new Hydra.

(if you're still with me...)

This one has 150k miles and 3897 hours, 900 of those idle hours.

Our '11 bale bed has 90k miles and 5615 hours, 2257 idle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All it really needs is the bed, a bumper grill guard, delete and maybe a set of 'running boards'.

Tires are in way better shape than the ones on my daily driver. Looks like a decent tread pattern.

Last edited by SamOlson; 06/18/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you doing with the old pick up

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Congrats on the new ride Sam.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ben, we traded it in on this one.

That was the best part of the deal.

And the dealer has full knowledge about all the issues. We told him and his shop guys know all about it.

I think he was just doing us a favor, great guy to deal with.

But the shop side of it makes good money when they break down so....

Gringo, never thought I'd be so happy to be getting a 'new' pickup with 150k miles on it!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nice looking rig Sam!! About the exact match of my buddy's. Put you a Ranch Hand guard on it and you'll be plowing through everything.

He went over yonder way
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heeler, I'm gonna research the grill guards some more and hopefully find something that doesn't stick out too much on the bumper.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Great looking truck Sam. I bet it runs like a song for many years.

Congrats.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.