Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We've always used regular walkie talkies but had a conversation the other day about whether being able to reach someone from a rig (or camp/lodge) with a antenna, higher ground, etc. would be useful, especially is someone was overdue. I'd imagine weight & cost (and the need to share 27 mhz) are disadvantages.

Anyone used CB handhelds in the field?

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it works, then it works. It won't hurt to try.

I get maybe 3/4 mile with my GMRS Motorola radios. That's enough to cover from camp out to any of our blinds. This used to be a MUST, because cell coverage was so poor. Nowadays, it's more about nostalgia for us.

I was big into CB back in the heyday. I was reaching out 25 miles at times on my mobile-- normally about 2-5 miles. However, a hand-held walkie talkie is probably not going to cut it.

If these are static locations you're talking about, you can rig a unit with an elevated antenna and blast away. Your only worry will be keeping it powered, but a deep discharge battery and a solar panel will be fine. Will you be able to talk to the base? It's all about height, distance and conditions and tuning the rig properly.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
If you have coverage, nothing beats a cell phone in today's world.

Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scratcherky
If you have coverage, nothing beats a cell phone in today's world.

+1

I assumed the OP was dealing with a cellphone hole.

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scratcherky
If you have coverage

I don't.

Murphy was a grunt.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might check out the marine hand held radios. I hunted with a charter captain who had the license to operate those and they have lots more range than any CB or GMRS radio. Back when I was a kid, one of the guys in dad’s group had a radio supply store and he thought that we should all be walking around with a big CB radio with a whip antenna. Between the squelch and Byron checking in every twenty minutes to ask us if we’d seen anything, we didn’t see much. That and listening to the skip of a couple of guys poaching alligators, those things were entertaining, but not real useful. Make sure that they are even legal where you hunt. They are here, but not in some other states.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We don’t have coverage on a few places on our place by Marble Falls. It’s great when it works

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The common handiest talkies go up to 5 watts, which is also the maximum for CB. One big issue is that the HTs have a captive antenna. You can't change it out for a better one.

The UHF HTs have smaller antennas than CB because the frequency is higher.

It would be illegal to buy a Wouxun or Baofeng HT that can be programmed for the same frequencies and also puts out 5 watts, and which has a removable antenna. It would also be illegal to hook one up to a large external antenna.

Be not weary in well doing.
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton
The common handiest talkies go up to 5 watts, which is also the maximum for CB.

Everything I read on CB is 4 watts max.

Murphy was a grunt.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's probably right. In the old days, it was 5 watts input power. I expect that it's now 4 watts output if that is what you are seeing.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Where we hunt even walkie talkies don't work much of the time. We have to go to certain spots on a couple ridges to get cell phone coverage. Our cabin is at the bottom and surrounded by hills.

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think GMRS is what is probably best given my needs (e.g., being able to talk with "regular" FRS walkie talkies). Need a FCC license for $70, though.

Murphy was a grunt.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As of May 2017, GMRS radios less than 2 watts are now considered FRS radios, no license required.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get by with GMRS, then this is preferable. However, I'll have to say that in my part of the world, a GMRS hand-held never gets more than about a mile.

If you need more, there are $35 CB units that you can possibly use at the remote sites with Base Station-type antennas ($55) and then a nice $140 unit for the main camp with the same type of antenna. A lot of the extra reach will be determined by how high you can get the antenna, and how well it is tuned.

One other proviso: Make sure none of this has anything to do with a for-profit enterprise. FRS, GMRS, and CB are all meant for normal non-business activities. FRS (Family Radio Service) CB(Citizen's Band) , etc. The FCC won't mind a family deer camp using these frequencies, but if you're outfitting for pay, you need to move to another band. I've caught warehouse managers trying to use CB Walkie Talkies and FRS radios, and went straight to their boss. In one instance, we were close enough to Kings Island amusement park and the manager called me in to figure out how to keep the family chit-chat off his warehouse system. He'd bought FRS radios for all his fork truck drivers. Yikes!

Legality: I'm just going to speak to what's legal in Kentucky. That's what I know. I've been swimming in this pond for close to 40 years. It used to be that no walkie-talkies were permitted. Then they loosened up and said that it was okay to call back for a ride or to ask when lunch was being served. You just could not use a radio to do things like organize a deer drive or to say "There's a big buck headed your way!" I've used FRS/GMRS for 20 years without a problem, but I warn folks to never talk about hunting per se, only the logistics. Cellphones really muddy the waters, and you're going to have a devil of a time getting cited for using texting or Zellow or WhatsApp. However, I'd warn you to look at your state law before breaking one-nine and announcing to the world that you see a Booner buck in the field.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,103
Posts18,464,194
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.