L
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
L
I’m ready to go home

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad is still alive. He'll turn 80 on August 14th of this year. He's the youngest of 3 remaining children of a brood of 9. He's a lifelong tobacco user and his lungs sound like chitt, but he's still sharp and somewhat active, and not afraid to turn a wrench or dig a post hole, but it would take him longer than it would have even just 5 years ago. He's a good man and I've told him so, telling him that he's my hero, but he's too humble to really accept the title.

He buried his second wife almost 2 years ago and he's been sort of drifting ever since. Sold his home and bought a used RV and planning to bounce around between staying with one of his kids or step-kids.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the thread, (sobering as it is) because it gave me the nudge I needed to call my Dad yesterday evening after weeks of meaning to do so, only to put it off to another day.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Died in his sleep between 330am an 0630am, was staying with my sister, he was up walking around the house at 330 when she told to get back to bed ...she was up a 6am making coffee for him , went to wake him up ...gone ... heart attack . Sister said that dad was saying early in week prior..... that he was " seeing" family , brother's ,mother etc....but all had died years before.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's been 5 years and one week since he passed, and today is his birthday. It's still as raw to me as the day he passed. His last words were 2 days prior to the end. I was telling him some things about our business and I thought he had replied. I asked him and he said, almost imperceptibly, "I didn't say nuffin." with his characteristic smirk. That was the last he was able to get out. His service was attended by well over 1000 people and that, to me, confirmed what I'd always known; that he was truly someone special.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I got something in my eye.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Died in his sleep between 330am an 0630am, was staying with my sister, he was up walking around the house at 330 when she told to get back to bed ...she was up a 6am making coffee for him , went to wake him up ...gone ... heart attack . Sister said that dad was saying early in week prior..... that he was " seeing" family , brother's ,mother etc....but all had died years before.....

Death bed visions are common.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye

But it does bring up the question.....what words will you leave w your kids.

Say something nice n fluffy, be nice to those that dont deserve it? Give words of wisdom or just fuggin shut up and leave?

How about "I hope y'all know where I hid all the cash"

Nope...I wouldn't do that to them. I'm proud of every one of my boys! I hope and pray that when my time comes, I can show them how a Christian man should leave this life, as I have tried to show them how a Christian man should live his life. My Dad showed me how it was done...

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad had his first heart attack in February 1975. His health was never the same but he liked to be doing something so he got a job being a janitor. It wasn't truck driving but it was the best he could do.

I was in the garden hoeing between some corn rows. It had been a wet spring and when the sun came out it made the clay soil hard as a rock. He was on his way to work and he walked out to the garden and saw me hoeing the ground. He said, "you have to keep oxygen to those roots if you want them to grow" and "I'm going to work, see you later". He went to his car and I saw him drive by the garden and I thought to myself "I sure hope so". It was June 13th 1976. He had his second heart attack as he was waking up the morning of June 14th. He was talking to mom still in bed when it hit him. He was one day short of his 52nd birthday.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not sure, he passed alone watching TV sometime during the night. His cousin who was in the early stages of Alzheimers found him the next morning and went up the road to my cousin's work to ask her to call someone. Being with the Alzheimers he forgot why he went up there and was making small talk for 15-20 minutes before my cousin asked how Dad was doing, Answer" "Oh chit, he's laying dead in the floor that's why I came up here".

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
About 16 years ago, my Dad stopped by the house on his way through headed to Idaho. I was going through a really bad stretch in life. In fact, a half hour before he arrived at the house, my wife at the time had just filed for divorce. I didn’t bring up that she filed with him - I wanted him to enjoy his evening with my daughters who thought the world of him. They were 5 and 6 at the time.

He told me to make every day count. Don’t piss them away. Drink good coffee. Drink good beer - but don’t drink too much. Enjoy my kids and life. Enjoy each sunrise. Because you only live about 30,000 days. I asked him where he got that number. He said easy. Math. 80 years times say 400 days per year. So figure 30,000. That’s 30,000 dinners. So don’t piss away life.

The next morning, He told me he loved me, and he’d see me on his way back through town. He left my house and was killed about 5 hours later in a car crash. He was forced off the road when someone tried to pass on a double yellow no passing zone.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by las
What? Not one "Hold my beer and watch this"?

I was going to respond "I can't breathe" but thought the better of it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As far as I know: "Yes, that sounds good."

I was in his home office and said I'd make us a pot of coffee. When I got back from the kitchen he was slumped over his desk.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He had cancer and was supposed to live a while longer.
I lived 800 miles away.
Called him several days before Easter and said I’ll come see you Easter Sunday.
He said, wait a few days as your brothers and sisters will be here Easter.
He died a couple days after Easter 1992 at age 66.
I still think of him often.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I didn't have a good relationship with, nor a lot of respect for my father. I can remember some good times when I was really young, being taken fishing, the first time I shot a .22, sitting on his lap. Those good times got less and less frequent as I got older. He never failed to remind me how much I disappointed him. Like many men in our family, alcohol ruled his life. I don't remember the last time we talked about anything. I can probably speculate pretty accurately as to his last words....he died one afternoon in Surfside Beach, SC. He was doing his usual afternoon routine, cruising around, making the rounds of his favorite bars, when he sailed through an intersection where the traffic controls had recently been changed, right into the path of a mixer with a full load of concrete on board. Pretty spectacular from what I heard. When I got the news that night, I felt a big relief pass over me...I wouldn't have to deal with him any more. Over time I've lost my anger and resentment, I feel regret that he didn't have a better life than what he did.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by hanco
Never knew my real father, saw him twice. My step fathers were “ You graduated high School. Get the Fuuck out of my house! “

My friend Greg had a step father like that. Greg graduated from high school on June 1, and when he got home after the ceremonies, step father gave him the graduation present, a 3 piece set of matching luggage, and said "Get the Fuuck out of my house!"

Greg never spoke to him again.

One of my brothers was married to a girl who had a brother and a sister. Their parents' policy was, once you graduate high school, you've got a week to get out of the house.

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Not sure, he passed alone watching TV sometime during the night. His cousin who was in the early stages of Alzheimers found him the next morning and went up the road to my cousin's work to ask her to call someone. Being with the Alzheimers he forgot why he went up there and was making small talk for 15-20 minutes before my cousin asked how Dad was doing, Answer" "Oh chit, he's laying dead in the floor that's why I came up here".

I laughed. Hope that's not the wrong thing to do. wink

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
My farther drowned while fishing Wabigoon Lake, a nice Sunday afternoon, 19 August 1984.

I've no idea what his last words were.

sorry to hear that...tragedy

i was up the street at a friend's, age 11...i heard my dad returned from work and was headed up the street to the store, and ran off the road. i remember looking down the street to my house seeing a big car in the driveway, it was our doctor there to inform ma that he had a heart attack...have minimal recollection of him, some good, some bad

Last edited by sse; 06/18/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My father said, 'There are two things I like naked, and the other one is malt whisky.'

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He simply said this: "Continue to be the man you already are". That, was pretty damn final.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by Kellywk

I laughed. Hope that's not the wrong thing to do. wink

I laughed as well. Sorry.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,655
Posts18,455,579
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.