L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.ajc.com/news/pelosi-ord...its-from-capitol/n9yZQHnHllBp3vkD3JmyRI/

WASHINGTON —
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday she is ordering the removal from the Capitol of portraits honoring four previous House speakers who served in the Confederacy.

In a letter to the House clerk, Pelosi directed the immediate removal of portraits depicting the former speakers: Robert Hunter of Virginia, James Orr of South Carolina and Howell Cobb and Charles Crisp, both of Georgia. The portraits were to be removed later Thursday.Calling the halls of Congress “the very heart of our democracy,″ Pelosi said, “There is no room in the hallowed halls of Congress or in any place of honor for memorializing men who embody the violent bigotry and grotesque racism of the Confederacy.″

Pelosi noted that Friday is Juneteenth, honoring the day in 1865 when many African Americans learned of the end of slavery after the Civil War. She called Juneteenth “a beautiful and proud celebration of freedom for African Americans” and noted that this year’s celebration comes "during a moment of extraordinary national anguish, as we grieve for the hundreds of Black Americans killed by racial injustice and police brutality, including George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and so many others.”Orr, who served as speaker from 1857-59, swore on the House floor to “preserve and perpetuate” slavery in order to “enjoy our property in peace, quiet and security,” Pelosi said in her letter. Hunter, who served at nearly every level of the Confederacy, including as Confederate secretary of state, served as speaker from 1839-41.Cobb served as speaker from 1849-51, while Crisp served after the Civil War, from 1891-95.Earlier this month, Pelosi urged the removal of Confederate statues from the Capitol and the renaming of U.S. military bases that honor Confederate Army officers.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif., speaks during her weekly news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, June 18, 2020.

Casey Burgat, director of a legislative affairs program at George Washington University, said Pelosi's action was a clear response to the Black Lives Matters movement and protests regarding racial injustice. Removal of the portraits "is one of the few immediate and unilateral actions she can take to illustrate her stance that former Confederates do not deserve to be memorialized within the halls of Congress,'' Burgat said.In the Senate, Democrat Cory Booker of New Jersey, one of three black senators, unsuccessfully pressed for immediate passage of a bill to remove statues of Confederate notables such as Jefferson Davis of Mississippi, president of the Confederate States of America, from display in the Capitol.“The continued presence of these statues in the halls is an affront to African Americans and the ideals of our nation,” Booker said.The chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., said he is open to holding a hearing on the bill, but he opposed immediate action because it would upend a process set in law governing the display of state-sponsored statues in the Capitol.Blunt, a member of the GOP leadership team, said he is heartened by states such as Arkansas that are replacing Confederate statues on their own.

Last edited by Lennie; 06/18/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You could tell her that the Capitol belongs to the people. And that the portraits were part of bringing people together after a war. But you might as well be talking to a wall.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nan, GFY.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And every one of the portraits was of a Democrat. Imagine that.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the sort of things that make me tolerate blacks less and less. Sooner or later another civil war is going.to happen. I'm locked and.loaded. Almost all my friends and family are also. They need to stop this sort of nonsense or its going to happen sooner than later.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those in the Kremlin graveyard are smiling up from #ell.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lawsey, Miss Nancy, dat sho nuff gwinna make us ole Darkies feel good

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Why don't we have Obama removed from the list of presidents. He gave a bad name to all the other half-black homo crackheads

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texczech
This is the sort of things that make me tolerate blacks less and less. Sooner or later another civil war is going.to happen. I'm locked and.loaded. Almost all my friends and family are also. They need to stop this sort of nonsense or its going to happen sooner than later.

I’m with ya. This crap is starting to get old. Reminds me of the joke that went around during the 1964 election. What’s the shiniest thing in the world? A negroes azz, washed in Goldwater and shined with Johnson’s Wax.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Time for Pelosi to be removed! She’s a brain dead, drug & alcohol addled Libertard Commie Traitorous POS.
She needs to be charged with Treason for an attempted coup on a sitting POTUS. And various other crimes against the American people and the USA.

Time to charged, arrested, prosecuted, convicted, and hanged by the neck until she can no longer committ crimes against America. 😡

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/18/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I never heard that before James. Its hilarious! I am Texas proud but am ashamed of Johnson. He is like a boil on your right butt cheek, he's dead and gone but we're still dealing with his stupid decisions.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I dont want her prosecuted I want to see her executed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
And I ask it again.

What does this solve?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing is ever good enough for them and by her own words it follows that removing presidents off of our money is coming. When they’re all done nothing about this land will look like our country. Washington will be removed from the dollar bill and replaced with MLK or Malcom X.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 06/18/20.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

They have to prosecute before they can execute.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by montanabadger

They have to prosecute before they can execute.

Two movies come to mind when I think about politicans is "Magnum Force" and "The Star Chamber".
It's what is needed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Violent bigotry and grotesque racism???

Wow hope she doesn’t read up on Sherman’s take on Black folks.

Or Sheridan’s, as well as the other 99% of the entire US Army officer’s corps feelings for the Native Americans.

Pick and choose, pick and choose my oh my!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
If the Republicans had any guts, the next Republican speaker should order the removal of the portraits of all Democrat speakers.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My question is this: are all former speakers of the house memorialized with portraits in the halls of the capital or only certain ones?

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Just wait till they rename military bases like they have been saying.
Buncha PC political driven bullschitt.

4 cops and a boot lipped groid started.........
All on vid for the fugging world to see......

JFC.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,841 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.