Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by RemModel8
They are a solution to a non-existent problem.

I respectfully disagree, I have a Burris 2 3/4 on a Mosin Nagant 38 and it’s the easiest way to scope that particular action. Also have a post 64 Winchester 30-30 with the same scope. It also worked on an Ithaca 87 (the rear sight has cutouts for good .22 rings). If you shoot both eyes open they are a piece of cake but like others have posted is not the greatest option for low light hunting. Sometimes though it is the only option if a scope is necessary/needed vs irons.

It's ok to be wrong in today's society. In fact it's a badge of honor.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I respectfully disagree, I have a Burris 2 3/4 on a Mosin Nagant 38 and it’s the easiest way to scope that particular action. Also have a post 64 Winchester 30-30 with the same scope. It also worked on an Ithaca 87 (the rear sight has cutouts for good .22 rings). If you shoot both eyes open they are a piece of cake but like others have posted is not the greatest option for low light hunting. Sometimes though it is the only option if a scope is necessary/needed vs irons.

And its not against the law to be an a$$hole.. party on.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Huntz
My Son bought a Ruger Scout Rifle in 308 Win.It is set up with a forward Weaver type Scout rail.I was wondering if Scout scopes are easily used and easy to pick up the reticle with?Thanks ahead ,Huntz

i
I find scout scopes easy to use and easy to pick up the reticle. The reticle does look different, sort of like a pistol scope but that goes away with familiarity.

I like them best at 200 yards and under as I tend to carry them on 2-2.5 X. Unless I have a variable I would stay under 200 yards but that is just me. They are very easy to use on moving game.I shoot grouse withmy smooth bore Deerslayers and even a little trap just foor practice.

Most of my use has been on Ithaca Deeslayer shotguns smooth and rifled bores. I also have a 1892 /Rossi .357 Magnum and a Ruger SS Gunsite Scout, my second. My huinting partner wanted my first one worse than I did.

I have 1.5 x fixed (on a .22), 2.5x fixed Leupolds (2), 1.5-4x variable Leupolds(2) and a 2.5-7x32mm Burris on the Scout Rifle. The way I use the GSR I think that is the best available scope, It has a ballistic reticle and the user guide is pretty close.

Both my hunting partner and i put an XS rail on our scouts. It lets us put a red dot where we want it which then allows an offset light. It would also allow the use of a conventional scope while leaving a peep sight on the rifle at all times.

Some folks say they may not be as good as conventional scopes in low light but I haven't had to let any animals go during legal hours.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

And its not against the law to be an a$$hole.. party on.

Good for you, I'm sure you make someone proud.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

My existing problem was mounting a scope on an Ithaca 37 slug gun. A Burris 2 3/4 worked out very well for me in that application.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My Kimber Montana Scout is so easy to hit with, it’s like cheating. I usually hunt with aperture sights on rifles. Easy to hit with, easy to carry and very fast in the field. The Leupold 2.5 was sighted in twenty or more years ago and hasn’t moved POI. I hunt spring bear, pack it around all summer and hunt September through November. And I hike all winter with it, kills coyotes just wonderfully put past 126 yards and further.

Last edited by frank500; 06/17/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad

My existing problem was mounting a scope on an Ithaca 37 slug gun. A Burris 2 3/4 worked out very well for me in that application.

Sorry, I missed where the OP was talking about a shotgun. I also missed where you can't have a standard mount installed on a shotgun.

I'm also sorry that you don't think that they are a compromised way around the barn. Sorry if my thoughts on it offend you. I understand why you live where you do. Keep up the good work kissing liberal ass.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Sorry, I missed where the OP was talking about a shotgun. I also missed where you can't have a standard mount installed on a shotgun.

I'm also sorry that you don't think that they are a compromised way around the barn. Sorry if my thoughts on it offend you. I understand why you live where you do. Keep up the good work kissing liberal ass.

So you have owned and used a scout scope and found them lacking huh. My money says your another keyboard commando who talks a good game. And while you can drill and tap a shotgun receiver for a scope mount, it needs to be sighted in every time you remove the barrel, at least in my experience, troll on.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've used three different scout scopes, the 2.5X Leupold, the 1.5-4X Leupold and the 2.75X Burris. I didn't care much for the Burris, not bright enough and the reticle was not easily picked up. Either Leupold are much better. I find the 2.5X model has more eye box than the variable, BTW. The reticle shows up more easily as well.
I've killed game with various 2.5 - 6X scopes over the years. I have a 1.25-4X VXR, etc.
They all work if set up properly, that means the image is shows up easily which usually means one has his scope properly placed on the rifle for easy use. I find it works best if the scope has plenty of eye box.
They all have their trade offs. If you insist on low light performance, a heavier reticle and a 5-7mm exit pupil is the way to go. Scout Scopes do loose a little performance in this respect due to their eye relief. If you hunt on dark days in shady timber, they might not work well at dawn or dusk.
But they do allow one to easily carry a rifle with an encircling grip. And one can easily see around them when shooting with both eyes open. They can often be easily detached for use with iron sights as well.
Your call. E

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Biebs
I don't like them. Putting the ocular that far away from your eye just doesn't feel right.

+1 I hate em....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the Burris variable scout scope on an M1A scout squad. The jury is still out for me as I don’t have enough time with it yet to make a firm determination. Cooper obviously liked them and that carries some water. You do have to watch eye relief on the Burris, it is pretty sensitive to being too near/far.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes they are easy to use but they're absolutely pointless.

Especially if you consider all the optic options available today.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Easy to use, it can't get any easier. How its used, most try to use it in other than its intended use. It never was about the scope, but rather a component of a complete system in the form of a short, light weight, and quick to bear firearm. Actually it follows the standard forward mounted fixed iron sights of almost every bolt action rifle for some 100 years and modernizes it.

Phil

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have a scout rifle with a rear aperture sight, they make total sense. If not, then they don't really solve much. The GSR is meant for one, and I have been very happy with the the Leupold 1.5-4 scout scope mounted on it. That particular set up puts a scout scope about as far back as you can go and still say it's mounted in a forward position. Regardless, it allows the sights to remain in place at all times and is very quick. Mine is not my primary hunting rifle, but I wouldn't feel bad if it were. Like everything these days, scout scopes seem to be a very polarizing topic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.