Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have one?

Opinions?

How strong is the action? Accurate? Is the fit and finish decent?

Thanks for any information. I am having a look at one for sale this weekend and just wanted to get some views.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot one that had been restocked with a laminated stock from Boyds. The recoil was there, but it wasn't excessive. The owner told me that the heavier Boyds stock tamed the recoil a bit when compared to the original synthetic stock.

If I needed a 375 that was priced under $750, I'd be much more inclined to buy a Vanguard2 in 375H&H than a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got one a year ago, the cheapest model. It shot accurately and appeared to be strong and well made. It DID KICK!. It was like shooting my CZ550 416 Rigby. I've had several Ruger Hawkeyes in the 375, a short barreled Savage "Bear Hunter", and a Howa. None shot better than the Mossy, and the Hawkeyes, both blue/walnut, kicked almost as bad.

For a trim, fast, and light thumper I don't think you can go wrong. Mossy haters will never admit to the Patriot's merits just like Savage haters do that proven gun, but the Patriot was sound, accurate, and fast handling.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by windridge
I got one a year ago, the cheapest model. It shot accurately and appeared to be strong and well made. It DID KICK!. It was like shooting my CZ550 416 Rigby. I've had several Ruger Hawkeyes in the 375, a short barreled Savage "Bear Hunter", and a Howa. None shot better than the Mossy, and the Hawkeyes, both blue/walnut, kicked almost as bad.

For a trim, fast, and light thumper I don't think you can go wrong. Mossy haters will never admit to the Patriot's merits just like Savage haters do that proven gun, but the Patriot was sound, accurate, and fast handling.

While I rather like the Mossberg Patriots, I don't know that I'd want one to hunt dangerous game with or as the primary tool to protect myself from dangerous game. If you have to restock a Mossberg Patriot to obviate the recoil, you could buy a Vanguard2 in 375 H&H for around the same money and have a fully functional rifle with manageable recoil straight out of the box. There may also be some advantages in having a 375 H&H in terms of ammunition availability all over the World.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I purchased one just to satisfy my curiosity. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven’t bought a factory rifle in over 20 years. My 375 H&H is a user that cost 10x the price of the Patriot. The darned thing is really good. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it on a buffalo hunt. Functions fine.
It kicks because it is about 6.75# with the base synthetic synthetic stock. The factory laminate costs about $275 and adds a pound or so.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

While I rather like the Mossberg Patriots, I don't know that I'd want one to hunt dangerous game with or as the primary tool to protect myself from dangerous game. If you have to restock a Mossberg Patriot to obviate the recoil, you could buy a Vanguard2 in 375 H&H for around the same money and have a fully functional rifle with manageable recoil straight out of the box. There may also be some advantages in having a 375 H&H in terms of ammunition availability all over the World.

Its starting to soundlike 375 ammo is starting to spread in popularity. This from reading inet, not travel. But the Rugerr round gives evryman a chance to own an affordable 375 whereas most of the H&H forms are more costly. My SS Howa 1500 was fairly inexpensive when I bought it about 400$ less than any H&H I found.

As to the Mossy rifles, I have only one and it was an experience getting it all together. I bought it first to use as an iron sighted truck and barn gun. Now its the rifle to grab if you relly want to hit something. Outstandinly accurate. No issues with function, reliability, etc. There were teething problems, but it was the first year they had introduced the rifle.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rogn
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Its starting to soundlike 375 ammo is starting to spread in popularity. This from reading inet, not travel. But the Rugerr round gives evryman a chance to own an affordable 375 whereas most of the H&H forms are more costly. My SS Howa 1500 was fairly inexpensive when I bought it about 400$ less than any H&H I found.

As to the Mossy rifles, I have only one and it was an experience getting it all together. I bought it first to use as an iron sighted truck and barn gun. Now its the rifle to grab if you relly want to hit something. Outstandinly accurate. No issues with function, reliability, etc. There were teething problems, but it was the first year they had introduced the rifle.

My 375 H&H is a Winchester 70 and I don't have either a V2 in 375H&H or a Patriot in 375 RUG, but I own both V2s and Patriots chambered for smaller cartridges, so I'm familiar with both rifles. If I was looking for the least expensive 375 to use for dangerous game, I would pick the V2 over the Patriot every time. Another case of different people with different experience forming different opinions about the same product.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.