24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a nice piece. Also installed Bilstein 6120/5160 and coachbuilder shackle on mine. I have and do haul around 1700 or so pounds in my doublecab.

https://www.toyteclifts.com/tun-07-01-rci-metalworks-2007-tundra-front-skid-plate.html

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4Runner has the same silly filter. Mine was not hard to do the first time, but it does take longer, and there is no good reason for the design.
Well maybe more guys get pissed and just take it to the dealer, that is the reason.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
That stupid sheet metal 'skid plate' is my biggest gripe in changing oil on my 2020 Tundra. One of these days I'll do the hole saw modification and give myself an access hole.

I like the housing with the drain cap to drain the filter before removing the filter. That part has worked slick for me on this truck as well as a 2007 Camry my wife used to drive.

At least your's is steel. Mine's plastic. But, the Highlander wasn't intended for much off road stuff.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
4Runner has the same silly filter. Mine was not hard to do the first time, but it does take longer, and there is no good reason for the design.
Well maybe more guys get pissed and just take it to the dealer, that is the reason.

for me......its only an annual chore at 9-10K miles

might feel better changing filter at 5K though

GX 460 with the 4.6L holds 8.2 qts

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That stupid sheet metal 'skid plate' is my biggest gripe in changing oil on my 2020 Tundra. One of these days I'll do the hole saw modification and give myself an access hole.

I like the housing with the drain cap to drain the filter before removing the filter. That part has worked slick for me on this truck as well as a 2007 Camry my wife used to drive.

Hey Cheesy - I didn’t know you got one, Congrats - **. This is the last year of the Tundra as we know it they are changing up big time for 2021.

The oil filter change is half the reason I made the change to the TRD plate (It has the access hole in it)... the rest is the cheapo skip (actually scrape, not good for much more) plate that it comes with.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
and why call a pickup with a 6.5 foot bed, a 'TRUCK'?......

Thank you.

I just traded my 13 Tundra Crewmax in for a 3/4 ton PICKUP because at 6 MPH and a 22 gallon usable gas tank pulling my toyhauler, I had to know where every gas station was. But I really liked my Tundra, can't say anything bad about it other than the fuel consumption and size of fuel tank.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Hey Cheesy - I didn’t know you got one, Congrats - **. This is the last year of the Tundra as we know it they are changing up big time for 2021.

The oil filter change is half the reason I made the change to the TRD plate (It has the access hole in it)... the rest is the cheapo skip (actually scrape, not good for much more) plate that it comes with.

Bought a crewmax last fall. One of the reasons I went with Toyota was the 'old design'. The truck forums and facebook forums are filled with guys bashing them for being old. Out of date. No technology like the Big 3. That is exactly why I bought mine. Tried and true. Parts availability. Salvage availability. Aftermarket availability.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on your new truck, Spot. My '16 Tundra has been great. Aiming for another 10-15 years out of it.

Personally, I like the Toyota filter setup. Especially after getting the tool to drain the housing before unscrewing it. Motivx? Also, a Fumoto valve is a Gamechanger for the big old 5.7. Pair those with the TRD skidplates and you're set for no mess oil & filter in 10 mins.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Nice trucks just can't put a snow plow on them with the avoidance system behind the Toyota emblem in the center of the grill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim2914
Nice trucks just can't put a snow plow on them with the avoidance system behind the Toyota emblem in the center of the grill.
The one on the Highlander can be turned off with a dash button as it can't be used with a trailer either. I don't know about the Tundra.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BluMtn

Thank you.

I just traded my 13 Tundra Crewmax in for a 3/4 ton PICKUP because at 6 MPH and a 22 gallon usable gas tank pulling my toyhauler, I had to know where every gas station was. But I really liked my Tundra, can't say anything bad about it other than the fuel consumption and size of fuel tank.

Small tanks and half-ton towing suck. When you fill up somewhere in SD and are looking at the gps for the next gas station before you pull out, you know you are in trouble. But 1/2 tons ride nice and are better than driving a car, plus they do most non-HD outdoors activities fairly well. At least you can sleep in a 6.5’ bed as opposed to the stupid sub 6 foot beds that seem so popular.

Last edited by K1500; 06/18/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My old Tundra had the small tank, and that was one of my biggest gripes. Worse I hate to run below a 1/4 tank, so I was at the gas station twice a week. I drive 25K a year, so tank size was a big deal. Larger tanks come as part of an option package.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Tundra's biggest market is suburbia. Their capability isn't used as they're bought for grocery and golf club haulers. They don't need the big gas tank or some of the stuff that outdoorsmen or working men consider essential. They've never made a 3/4 ton or a big diesel just for that reason. Their prime clientele wouldn't buy those options.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 2020 Tundra has a 38 gallon tank. Not sure if that is standard or not. Fuel light comes on and it takes 32 gallons to fill it up.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Well my Chevy Duramax has a 6&1/2 ft bed that I haul a 1500 pound camper in and pull a 3 horse slant with 2 mules, hay,water, all elk hunting gear and total weight is right at 17,000. I'd say it qualifies as a truck. I sold my 22 ft flat bed tri axle gooseneck today which I hauled 15 3x3's this week, but still have a 14 ft dump trailer to haul stuff in.
My last truck a 98 Dodge also had a 6. 5 bed in it and I never lacked for hauling capabilities either
These 6.5 beds are pretty handy when towing a 20-22 ft gooseneck getting into places and turning around.Got to watch though ,Dodge cut their short bed down to 6'-3"

Toyota doesn't make a heavy duty truck though of course.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/19/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My comment was totally in agreement of not being 'heavy-duty' enough to deserve of the word 'truck' being typed in all caps. All lowercase letters would be more like it......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2020 Tundra has a 38 gallon tank. Not sure if that is standard or not. Fuel light comes on and it takes 32 gallons to fill it up.

The smaller tank is ~26 gallons, and the light comes on with ~6 gallons left.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Nice truck. I have a '19 Cavalry Blue Limited double cab. Just turned over 8k miles.

[Linked Image]

That's my next truck...same color but non-TRD.
I'm hoping a few of my stock investments pay for it, time will tell.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
My comment was totally in agreement of not being 'heavy-duty' enough to deserve of the word 'truck' being typed in all caps. All lowercase letters would be more like it......

I’d say RAM’s were trucks if they didn’t rust out so bad, and have major issues with their fuel pumps smile

The Tundra isn’t a heavy duty beast, but doesn’t break down, and has plenty of power... but I’ll give you the fact the axles could be heavier... I grew up with Fords on the Farm... back then I only classified the Power wagon’s as worth a second look.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Bought a crewmax last fall. One of the reasons I went with Toyota was the 'old design'. The truck forums and facebook forums are filled with guys bashing them for being old. Out of date. No technology like the Big 3. That is exactly why I bought mine. Tried and true. Parts availability. Salvage availability. Aftermarket availability.

+1

And the fact it can go over 200k without having to loose sleep over it breaking down. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.