T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Roger, Kent & 'Kid;

I've literally filleted a bazillion fish in my 54 years & never used, or thought I need one.

Can you explain to me, the why ?

it's so much quicker when you have a lot of fish to do, you can do 36 big snapper pretty quick.

Yes what Roger says, speed. A good high rpm electric will melt through bones and float right across the skin to give you a skinless fillet in seconds. I can do both sides of an average 12” crappie in under half a minute. I do still use a small fillet knife to cut the bones out of the filets after they’re all done. And I don’t use an electric on catfish, I’m not very good at it and even if you are there’s meat that you can’t get with the electric knife.

I will not clean fish other than catfish, trout, or salmon if I can’t use an electric. Too much work and I can’t do nearly as neat a job of it.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I started using one after I caught 48 crappie and hand filleted them as usual, took forever and my back killed me, I'd rather butcher a deer than that many fish with a knife. That was in the 70s. The back issue was a low table, I picked up an old wood top ironing board that's higher, folds nice for taking to camp.

Often I clean 50 to 100 fish at a time, as the kid stated, once rolling it's 30 sec a fish, 100 fish take about an hour with prep and someone cutting the ribs off.

Ocean fish I still use my Dexters, the are big and fillet a bit different.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/19/20.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
When that Mr Twister one dies (in the near future) get an American Angler knife. Mine is a 110-v model, and I carry a small inverter I can plug into my car's 12v outlet in case there's no house power available.

This is your answer. American Angler. Better blades, better motor, better knife. I don't have an exact number, but mine has done couple hundred reds, and near a thousand speckled trout.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
As a side note, krp reminded me with his ironing board, I have a 16”x40” piece of 1” UHMW that I set on top of the trash barrel for a filet table. I have a smaller piece that stays in my truck for a bait board when catfishing. If you can get your hands on some it’s amazing for a cleaning table, 30 seconds with the hose and everything just slides right off.
I put the big one on the dining room table to butcher deer, elk, or pig quarters in the fall and winter. One of the best things I ever dug out of the scrap bin at my old job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Roger, Kent & 'Kid;

I've literally filleted a bazillion fish in my 54 years & never used, or thought I need one.

Can you explain to me, the why ?

it's so much quicker when you have a lot of fish to do, you can do 36 big snapper pretty quick.

Yes what Roger says, speed. A good high rpm electric will melt through bones and float right across the skin to give you a skinless fillet in seconds. I can do both sides of an average 12” crappie in under half a minute. I do still use a small fillet knife to cut the bones out of the filets after they’re all done. And I don’t use an electric on catfish, I’m not very good at it and even if you are there’s meat that you can’t get with the electric knife.

I will not clean fish other than catfish, trout, or salmon if I can’t use an electric. Too much work and I can’t do nearly as neat a job of it.

Originally Posted by krp
I started using one after I caught 48 crappie and hand filleted them as usual, took forever and my back killed me, I'd rather butcher a deer than that many fish with a knife. That was in the 70s. The back issue was a low table, I picked up an old wood top ironing board that's higher, folds nice for taking to camp.

Often I clean 50 to 100 fish at a time, as the kid stated, once rolling it's 30 sec a fish, 100 fish take about an hour with prep and someone cutting the ribs off.

Ocean fish I still use my Dexters, the are big and fillet a bit different.

Kent

Thank you to all 3 gentlemen !

Guess I'm just used to doing it the old school way.

As a kid on holidays, I used to fillet hundreds of fish a day.

Kent - Table height is a big thing !

I bought one of these 5 years ago - perfect height & running water on hand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Best $70 bucks I ever spent.

I guess after the fishing fun, I don't mind doing a little work, to put food on the table !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My daugher bought me one of those without the sink last year, i now keep it in the mountais and the ironing board at home. I can still hand filet and have for a couple fish.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Many times I've gotten home at 9 or 10 at night and have 50 to 100 fish to clean and working at 5 the next morning, speed it important.

Kent

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would not go back to a fixed blade fillet knife and don't think I know anyone who would.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One would think, by reading this thread, that some states have no daily or possession limit on fish...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
No limit on crappie or yellow bass, both great eating fish, I don't care for catfish, if I don't have a stash of crappie or yellows I will keep smallies and even largemouth if I need a bag of fillets, limits on those.

Kent

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Once wife and I took her sister and BIL to apache fishing, didn't catch much until right before dark, stripies came into the flats in pods... we call them stripies, yellow bass smallest of the striper family, look like a striper with a yellow belly when mature...

Anyway you couldn't get the bait in and they'd hit, BIL was baiting the girls hooks, I would net both their fish at one time and unhook, by the time I put them in the live well the girls would have 2 more fish.

2 hrs from home and I had to work the next morning early... come on girls we have to quit... No way they were catching and we were staying... thought we had maybe 60 in the well so was throwing their catch off the back in the dark, I didn't want to clean 100 fish.

Finally quit and got home about 11 and unloaded fish, we had 115 to clean.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/19/20.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I would not go back to a fixed blade fillet knife and don't think I know anyone who would.

This

Still use a fixed for de boning and skinning, but the electric does the heavy lifting. Reason? Easier, especially on bigger fish.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
One would think, by reading this thread, that some states have no daily or possession limit on fish...

There isn’t when we’re crappie fishing in our own 8 acre pond. We cleaned 288 one Memorial Day!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mister twister saltwater series with the fine blades

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have filleted thousands of salmon, halibut, and catfish. The only electric knife I tried was a Mr Twister. So far so good. No way in hell would I ever go back to a non electric knife.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
No limit on crappie or yellow bass, both great eating fish, I don't care for catfish, if I don't have a stash of crappie or yellows I will keep smallies and even largemouth if I need a bag of fillets, limits on those.

Kent

Wow. That would be sweet if you're really getting into them.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Mister Twister. Get the 11" blades with the more agressive teeth for going through big ribs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 3,215 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.