B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Put in for a cow tag. Struck out.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always put in for Cali Sheep in Idaho, so I can't put in for the good deer or elk draws. I guess the 2nd draw is always an opportunity...

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by iddave
Nada for me as well.

I’ll be slumming it OTC again this year. I’m used to it. I’ve drawn one tag in 26 years.

Dave

Dave, everyone always touts Idaho’s draw system, I’ve applied for deer, elk and antelope, all 3 for 20 years, haven’t drawn a damn thing...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Jud,

I know many don’t like Idaho’s approach, but I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way. Preference points and bonus points are a pyramid scheme imho, and screw incoming hunters like my son and daughter.

Idaho’s system may suck....but it sucks equally for all of us.

I only apply for REALLY good tags (with low draw odds), so I can’t really complain and I’m certainly never surprised when I don’t. It is what it is. I usually manage to do okay with the OTC tags.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do Powerball or MegaMillions give preference points? Nobody seems to complain about that. You take your chances equally with everyone else who buys a ticket.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Idaho's system is the only fair one. I've been persistent and lucky. Points and bonus point systems are a cash cow for the F&G outfits, nothing more!
Just my opinion
Good Luck and Good Hunting
Lj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Nada for me as well.

I’ll be slumming it OTC again this year. I’m used to it. I’ve drawn one tag in 26 years.

Dave

Dave, everyone always touts Idaho’s draw system, I’ve applied for deer, elk and antelope, all 3 for 20 years, haven’t drawn a damn thing...

I got a lifetime license before I left the state...which means my name gets thrown in the hat with the residents. I always put in for a Cali sheep tag so obviously odds still suck but I'm running right at 20 years trying. It's frustrating but is what it is.....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
no luck here.

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1 Archery Antelope tag - haven't drawn a rifle tag for deer or elk in way too long. Open rifle deer hunts = shoot a 2 point on opening day or don't get a deer. Archery hunts have become extremely crowded. I'm lucky I'm as old as I am and got to see what it was like before the State's population doubled and the Idaho Department of Money (err Fish and Game) fixed the draw system.......

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I consistently draw elk tags in 3 different states. I WANT TO HUNT, i could care about big bulls, big, bucks or other "big" animals, I just want to hunt. So if you want to draw a tag and hunt, put in for cow tags, spike tags, late season opportunities. It's not about the size of the animal it's about HUNTING. There are numerous outlets online as well as on F&G websites that show you draw percentages, success ratios, and the like using them is easy, even for a computer idiot as myself.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
is there a lottery oversight for drawing? I think they should publish the result.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by centershot
1 Archery Antelope tag - haven't drawn a rifle tag for deer or elk in way too long. Open rifle deer hunts = shoot a 2 point on opening day or don't get a deer. Archery hunts have become extremely crowded. I'm lucky I'm as old as I am and got to see what it was like before the State's population doubled and the Idaho Department of Money (err Fish and Game) fixed the draw system.......

It's certainly not as good as when I started hunting Idaho in the mid-80s, but there are still a lot of good bucks and bulls to be killed in Idaho with OTC tags. Unless people stop having babies, that dynamic isn't fixable by anyone or any "system".

Most importantly to me (and most Idaho hunters I know), there still a LOT of OTC tags available. States like Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and the like might have easier hunts and bigger animals on average, but none of them offer the opportunity Idaho does for the "average" guy to simply go out and pursue bucks/bulls/bears year after year.

Any changes that decrease those OTC opportunities is movement in the wrong direction imho. You know what they say about opinions though.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Gonna have to be some management changes in several states as well, Washington, Oregon and Idaho for sure. States Oregon and Wyoming where the lions share of permits go to max point holders are flawed too, unless you got in on the ground floor, like I did in Wyoming a guy will never hunt one of the premier units more than once if he’s lucky. I’m still greedily holding onto my Wyoming points, waiting for the best units. Until then I’ll bitch about draw systems, or be happier than a pig in shiit when I draw!! Until then there’s several hunts a guy can do yearly if he’s savvy and snoops around a little.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot

It's certainly not as good as when I started hunting Idaho in the mid-80s, but there are still a lot of good bucks and bulls to be killed in Idaho with OTC tags.

Correct. Lots of them. Every year.
The average may be a 2x2 but that's because lots of folks shoot the first legal thing they see. There's nothing wrong with that, but plenty of mature deer and elk are in the general areas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 2x2 mulie will often be hanging out with a bunch of does his 1st year. Those who hunt near the roads will find him as the does are easier to find. The bigger bucks will be high and hidden, not with the does until the rut starts in Nov.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Younger boy drew the 55/57 youth buck tag for the Oct.5-31 timeframe. Have heard that there are some large-ish 2x2s in that neck of the woods!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of places have bigger 2x2s, but units 55 and 57 sure have some big 4x4s too. The genetics are there, no doubt.

Good luck with that hunt.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Lots of places have bigger 2x2s, but units 55 and 57 sure have some big 4x4s too. The genetics are there, no doubt.

I like 2x2's.😂😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Vek
Younger boy drew the 55/57 youth buck tag for the Oct.5-31 timeframe. Have heard that there are some large-ish 2x2s in that neck of the woods!

55 will be a great hunt.post pics.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I like 2x2's.😂😂😂

Killing Tomorrow’s Trophy's Today..... 🤣

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.