J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JDK
Great zone. Congratulations

Grouse season typically isn’t open during the September hunt.

Yup, I am 100% incorrect. Small game now opens on the 26th as said above.

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
After 20yr unsuccessful years of applying in Maine and New Brunswick I finally hit. I was selected for a bull tag in Maine's WMD 14. Not the hottest hunting area but I'm still pretty excited to be able to hunt moose in Maine. I've taken a few bulls in Newfoundland but always wanted to hunt in the timber with a 45-70. This will be the year!

Last edited by Charlie-NY; 06/17/20.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
After 20yr unsuccessful years of applying in Maine and New Brunswick I finally hit. I was selected for a bull tag in Maine's WMD 14. Not the hottest hunting area but I'm still pretty excited to be able to hunt moose in Maine. I've taken a few bulls in Newfoundland but always wanted to hunt in the timber with a 45-70. This will be the year!

You could also try to swap your zone on moosepremitswap.com I drew zone 19 a few years ago and was able to swap for zone 4 witch was a much better zone. He charges $35 bucks to sign up, well worth it. Good luck with your hunt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just found out that I drew a tag for the Sept hunt in zone 3. My son has been applying for both of us for the last couple of years. I guess I’m pretty lucky. I sure could use all the info I can get.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats to you fellas who have those moose tags. I hope you all have great hunts, with lots of memories.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is just wonderful to be going on a hunt with your dad! I had an emotion when I read your post of what I would give to go on another hunt with my Dad.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by skinner
I just found out that I drew a tag for the Sept hunt in zone 3. My son has been applying for both of us for the last couple of years. I guess I’m pretty lucky. I sure could use all the info I can get.

I have a friend of mine that guides up in that zone. Send me a PM if you want his name and number, I can give it to you. Even if you didn’t go with him he would point you in the right direction. He puts a lot of time in scouting and has killed a lot of big bulls in that area.

Last edited by lone wolf; 06/20/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks Lone Wolf. I sure will.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Skinner , we have hunted zone 3 a couple of times , check out the beaver brook road below portage lake . That section of route 11 is crazy with moose , check local town office they can point you to some local camps . If it’s hot and thing slow down go to the eastern side of the zone it’s agricultural , locate the broccoli fields and get permission from a farmer . Just like hunting deer over beans and the farmers are glad to have you . Though it’s like out west , get permission , that farmer can be your friend .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maine Rifle,

Thanks for the heads up. I sure hope this COVID mess doesn’t screw things up.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We've shot moose in the broccoli in zone 3 before. My bull was no 13 in Maine in 2008 out of that zone. Go to the tagging station up there and find Sarah. She's the owner and state biologist there too. I would also find a farmer named Andy Ayer if memory serves. Nice guy with a big broccoli operation.
September is the rut and they will come to the call. Guides are a good way to go. Good luck. If in the broccoli bring a.scoped.rifle.as.well to compliment that 45 70.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Congrats! Totally happy for you and your dad!

By BIL and I have been trying for 20 years now to get drawn, without success, But we are both out of staters and the chances are only about 1% of getting drawn. He's got 80 preference points though - one of these years!

There is a combo of points & age where you are guaranteed a tag. You may want to look into that.

I finally scored a Maine tag after 20 years. I don't have the best area or week but I'm excited all the same. Good luck to all.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Charlie-NY
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Congrats! Totally happy for you and your dad!

By BIL and I have been trying for 20 years now to get drawn, without success, But we are both out of staters and the chances are only about 1% of getting drawn. He's got 80 preference points though - one of these years!

There is a combo of points & age where you are guaranteed a tag. You may want to look into that.

I finally scored a Maine tag after 20 years. I don't have the best area or week but I'm excited all the same. Good luck to all.

According to Maine's website, if you are 65 years old (or older) and have 30 points, you are guaranteed a tag.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.