Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Not helpful, sorry.

Yeah, it's helpful. I was asking for these kinds of opinions.

Yah, it's all good. Have you handled them?

I was NO WAY NO HOW when they first came out, literally laughing. Then, as positive reports came in, I turned to maybe, then OK I'll try it, then back to NO, over the past several years. Darn little field time as I just don't like the rifle. The scallops on the forearm are gross, to call that American? What the hell American stock was like that? Put it in a classic shaped slim stiff stock, even just the same poly, it'd be closer to serviceable, like the Kimber Hunter. Duhhhh Ruger.. Still have a 223....

Cheap accuracy is something desirable. Good luck.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 06/19/20. Reason: changed da words

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I liked the Marlin X guns better and would have preferred if Ruger had put the RAR barreled action into a stock that was like the Marlin, along with the Marlin's blind magazine. I don't care for detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, don't need the magazine capacity and don't care for a magazine that protrudes below the stock.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I liked the Marlin X guns better and would have preferred if Ruger had put the RAR barreled action into a stock that was like the Marlin, along with the Marlin's blind magazine. I don't care for detachable magazines on bolt action rifles, don't need the magazine capacity and don't care for a magazine that protrudes below the stock.

Preach it! Amen! Oh yah! Hallelujah!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the RAR in the .223 compact model. It's a right handy little rifle.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have 3 of the Predators in 223, 6.5 CM, and 308. Paid $389 OTD each. I'm not gonna say they are 1/2 MOA all day long, but sub 1" groups at 200 are pretty common. I don't even bother shooting them at 100 anymore. I can't recall ever shooting a group over 2" at 200 yards.

I've thought about upgrading to a better looking stock, but anything I'd be interested in is $300 and would be 1/2 lb heavier. They shoot just fine in the stock they come in and if I've got $700 to invest in a Ruger + stock there are better $700 options.

The detachable magazine is the key to the accuracy at a budget price. The Ruger uses an action with a solid top that is much stiffer. Plus a massive bolt. The enclosed action requires a detachable magazine, no other way to load it. Plus traditional internal magazines make it harder and more expensive to get extreme accuracy. Not that it can't be done, but it adds to the cost and complexity of the rifle. Using detachable magazines is cheaper and easier to manufacture and eliminates one problem.

It took a while the magazines to grow on me, but once you figure out the advantages they offer and the cost savings I can live with them. Most of them use flush fit 4 round magazines. They do not protrude below the stock and offer no mag capacity advantage. But that is an option on some of them.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good write up.

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have 2, one in a 17 HMR and 1 in the 1:8 twist .22-250 special run for Whittakers. I seldom use them. The 17 is an expensive plinker, but the rifle is fine for what it is, I just dont shoot that caliber that much. The 22-250 has never been fired by me yet. Had it a few years. One of these days I will shoot it. They are a little too cheap feeling to me to purchase, when I can get used Tikka rifles for $400 or $450 and even the new T3x Superlights for under $600 on sale at Sportsmans. I much prefer the Tikka to the cheaper rifles of all brands.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
I have 3 of the Predators in 223, 6.5 CM, and 308. Paid $389 OTD each. I'm not gonna say they are 1/2 MOA all day long, but sub 1" groups at 200 are pretty common. I don't even bother shooting them at 100 anymore. I can't recall ever shooting a group over 2" at 200 yards.

I've thought about upgrading to a better looking stock, but anything I'd be interested in is $300 and would be 1/2 lb heavier. They shoot just fine in the stock they come in and if I've got $700 to invest in a Ruger + stock there are better $700 options.

The detachable magazine is the key to the accuracy at a budget price. The Ruger uses an action with a solid top that is much stiffer. Plus a massive bolt. The enclosed action requires a detachable magazine, no other way to load it. Plus traditional internal magazines make it harder and more expensive to get extreme accuracy. Not that it can't be done, but it adds to the cost and complexity of the rifle. Using detachable magazines is cheaper and easier to manufacture and eliminates one problem.

It took a while the magazines to grow on me, but once you figure out the advantages they offer and the cost savings I can live with them. Most of them use flush fit 4 round magazines. They do not protrude below the stock and offer no mag capacity advantage. But that is an option on some of them.

I've had 3 RARs and 20 RAR-Ps. Have thought about buying a RAR-Ranch Rifle in 6.5G or 7.62x39, but have never gotten around to it.

I still have 2 of the RARs, one of the 1-8" ROT 22-250s from Whittaker's special limited run and a Cerakoted limited run in 6.5CM.

I still have 16 RAR-Ps in 204, 223(x3), 22-250, 243(x2), 6CM, 25-06, 260(x3), 6.5CM(x3), and 308.

Most of mine have flush fit magazines that don't protrude below the stock, but Ruger seems to be moving away from them and toward the AR-style magazines. Of the 17 different RAR-Ps listed on the Ruger site, 8 come with flush fit magazines and 9 come with AR-style magazines.

I don't know if the detachable magazine is the key to accuracy at a budget price. The conventional blind magazines in the Marlin X guns and Savage 110 family were known for their out of the box accuracy. The Marlins X guns were always budget priced rifles and the Savage 110 family always had a budget prices option somewhere in the line, either branded as a Savage or a Stevens or, in rarer cases, as a house-brand.

I would agree that RAR-Ps have earned a reputation for accuracy, but accuracy is only one aspect to consider when exercising the decision making hierarchy.

I still like the Marlin X guns better and think that they were a superior platform when compared to the Remington 783 that replaced them. But like the old Yamaha motorcycle ads said; "Different strokes for different folks".

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oakster
I can get used Tikka rifles for $400 or $450 ...

If it wasn't for the 14" twist in the .22-250, they'd be a lot more interesting to me.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Oakster
I can get used Tikka rifles for $400 or $450 ...

If it wasn't for the 14" twist in the .22-250, they'd be a lot more interesting to me.

Tikka makes a 1-8" twist 22/250

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-Lite-22-250-Rem-224-1-8-Rifle-JRTXE314R8.aspx

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/100638

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well, that is a surprise. The R8 isn't on the Tikka website I looked at.

Thanks.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been looking at a RAR with the threaded muzzle in the green stock with new style box mag chambered for 6 Creedmoor. They want $470 and I guess it just seems like too much $$$ for what you get. Especially so when you see nice quality used guns for a lot less. It's the 6 Creedmoor that is the attraction not the rifle. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One day a Ruger product designer said” We need a $300 hunting rifle”. The American Rifle concept is born.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah but I haven't seen one for 300 in a long time most seem to be between 370/500 MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Been looking at a RAR with the threaded muzzle in the green stock with new style box mag chambered for 6 Creedmoor. They want $470 and I guess it just seems like too much $$$ for what you get. Especially so when you see nice quality used guns for a lot less. It's the 6 Creedmoor that is the attraction not the rifle. MB

I bought a slightly used RAR-P in 6CM out of the free classified ads on this site back in 01/20 for $365 delivered to scratch that itch myself. The rifle is accurate with the Federal 107 grain Sierra Matchking factory loads that I've shot through it and with a comb riser installed my right eye aligns with the ocular lens of the Bushnell 10x40 scope that I installed on it. I don't know what I'm going to do with it in the near term. I'm not going to the Rosebud to shoot pdogs this year, 'cause none of the rest of the regulars want to go.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hear you loud and clear 260 what I really need to do is find and xs-7 in 243 wear the barrel off it and rebarrel with a tight twist ss 24" length on 6 Creedmoor chambering. JB did a review of a 6 Creed back in Dec of 18 in the Handloader mag with the old style mag. He didn't mention any negatives, but the whole article lacked the enthusiasm for something he really likes. Maybe I ought to just finish wearing out my old 243 700 bdl's barrel and do the 6 on it.
MB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You might find a Savage take-off barrel that would be an easy barrel swap.

EDIT: I think that I was a ad for an EABCO Savage 110 specs barrel in 6CM for around $250.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 06/22/20. Reason: Added comment
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No complaints really, I know what it is and just shoot the chit out of it! Accurate and cheap, now to just find the ammo for it!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Still know of a few Marlin XL7s on the shelf. One stainless and a couple blued.

--- Kid Rock 2022

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah but I haven't seen one for 300 in a long time most seem to be between 370/500 MB

They were about $299 (probably a promotion) at Dicks about 5 years ago. Of course they raise the price after the demand shot up. Last I checked , Ruger wants to make a profit.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.