Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just wanted to ask about the back of the rack.

I've got one Ruger American. I like it.
I've shot a Mossberg Patriot. I like it.
I've shot a Savage Axis. I like it.
I saw a TC Venture the other day for $250. Dang!

How do they all stack up? Best? Worst?

Honestly, as far as hunting-level accuracy is concerned, I haven't seen a whole lot of difference. The only thing I've seen that seems to be a turn-off is the propensity for cheezy stocks.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I own some of these.
Ruger American- had problems with rotary magazine. Ruger later made staggered type magazine. Rifle is very accurate with good trigger.
Savage Axis- mine did not have Accutrigger. Stock was little flimsy. Replaced trigger with a Timney. Glued trigger guard housing to stock, which helped to stiffen it. Rifle actually shoots pretty well.
TC Venture- I have 2 of them, A .270 Weathershield and a .308 carbine. Both are accurate. The trigger on the .270 needed an aftermarket spring to make it usable. The .308 had the magazine come apart while loading it one morning as I was going out to hunt. Grabbed back-up rifle to continue hunt. Later I repaired magazine by reassembling with some cyanoacrylate. This past fall I shot a nice 8 point with the .308. In 2016, I took an antelope buck in Wyoming with the .270.
Savage 10, 11, 16, 110. These 4 Savage rifles all shoot well and have been trouble-free. I sold the 1961 vintage 110 in .30-06 to a good friend who did not have a centerfire deer rifle.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
try the used rifle rack for some used treasures that are not made with plastic

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman

Honestly, as far as hunting-level accuracy is concerned, I haven't seen a whole lot of difference. The only thing I've seen that seems to be a turn-off is the propensity for cheezy stocks.

I have the Ruger, Mossberg, and Savage.

I like the accuracy of the Ruger, but don't care for the stock.

I like the "feel" of the Mossberg.

I don't like the Savage at all and can't think of a scenario where I'd own another one.

If accuracy was paramount, I'd probably buy the Ruger.

If quick to the shoulder handling was paramount, I'd probably buy the Mossberg.

The Savage cost me $215, used but not abused. I hope to get my money out of it at some point in time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife has a Winchester XPR Compact in 7mm08 that definitely outperforms the $200+ investment. I like the Ruger American and the T/C Compass. No experience with the others.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had 2 Ventures. One was a 25-06 that was stupid accurate, dont know why I sold it. The other was a 30-06 and it was accurate enough for deer hunting, I just never got attached to it. A friend has one in 7-08 that is very accurate as well.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have had several Ruger American centerfires, taking antelope, whitetails and axis deer with them. The stocks have improved since they were introduced, being considerably stiffer, though I still sometimes have to rasp the front of the barrel channel to get them really free-floated. The cartridges have included the .223 and .22-50 Remingtons, .243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 and .30-06. They have all shot well, but the most accurate was a 6.5 Creedmoor Predator. Loaded up some 140-grain Berger Hunting VLDs with H4350, using some charge around 42 grains, and the first group at 100 yards put 5 (not 3) into .33 inch. The triggers aren't as widely adjustable as they were at first, but it's easy to take 'em apart and clip off one coil of the spring; they then can be adjusted about like the originals, from around 2.5 pounds to 4. I have several Velcro-attachable cheekpieces that can be easily adjusted for the correct scope height. I haven't had much trouble at all with the magazines, and only one has been the new box magazine.

Have had one Savage Axis, which did not have an adjustable trigger, though I managed to modify it enough to work OK. It was originally a .22-250 and shot very well, without any fiddling with the stock. Put a Shaw .250 Savage barrel on it for a while, which also shot very well; in fact it may have been the most accurate .250 I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. But the detachable magazine needed to be really whacked to stay in the stock.

Have had a couple of T/C Ventures, a .243 and .308, and both shot very well with just about any load. Probably should have kept one, but have several .243s and .308s.

Own one Mossberg Patriot .308, which shoots at least as well as the T/C Venture and RAR .308s I've had. Killed a mule deer buck with it a while back, but it's now on loan to the daughter of a friend.

One of the inexpensive rifles I'd definitely add to the list is the Mauser M18, which these days can be found for $400 to $450 new. A very fine "cheap" deer gun.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost all tbe pricepoint rifles shoot well nowadays. That said, if I was looking for a reasonable deer rifle, I'd look for a .270 or .30-06 that somebody had traded for a .300 magnun or Creedmoor. Seems to be a lot of 'em on the used racks lately.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
New stuff is all ways interesting but ,I sorta look at the rifle rack for the nicer used stuff like mooshoo mentioned. 2 springs back I spotted a Marlin xl 7 in 2506 bought it for $200+ tax. I have yet to see one of these Marlins that wouldn't shoot well. Maybe it's my location but over the last few years I've picked up more than a few 03's and 03A3's that were partially sporterized from the 50's to 60's for 200 to 275 bucks. Used FN actioned rifles and their clones seem to be springing out of closets also for under $300. Thing is you can't jack around till August/September and expect to find these better used guns. You literally have to be visiting your LGS VERY often to score these deals. Good deals and good guns aren't allways easy to find especially when you want them together. Last weds morning after getting supplies I needed at Menards I stopped at box type sporting goods store to check out the used gun rack. There was a trim walnut stocked bolt action 22lr with a Vari x llc 2x7 on it.so I roll it over to read the barrel markings Savage Anshutz m164 next I looked at the price tag $379 had them pull off the stupid trigger lock so I could view the bore. I wasn't born yesterday and learned long time a go when in the gun shop and you see something you interested in you don't never ever let go of it or let someone else handle it. You damn well may lose it on the spot..The 164 came home with me I figured if it didn't shoot I'd bone the Leopold off it and sell it down the road. And no I don't need to worry on how well it shoots. Allways look at the used stuff never know when someone is gonna get stupid. That 164 got put in the rack 1 hr before I got there. MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 06/21/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like to do the same thing Bob! I also look at Gunbroker often for the same things.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's amazing the accuracy that these "cheap" rifles offer today. In not the too distant past a 1 moa rifle was a real shooter, and you might have to go through a handful of rifles to find one. Today 1 moa gets a ho hum yawn. Kudos to the gun companies that are making a better product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Want cheap?

Look for a H&R handy rifle on the used rack.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had several Ruger Americans in calibers 223, 22-250, 243, 7-08 and 308. All shot great but I had problems with all the magazines except the 7-08. I had a Mossberg Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was exceptionally accurate, magazine fed fine but rattled like a tamborine I have 2 TC Compass rifles in 6.5Creedmoor and 223 that are very accurate, the magazines feed slick as snot and do not rattle. I did have to do a M*CARBO trigger job on them but that was it. The stocks on the Compass seems stiffer that on the other rifles in that class that I have used.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Personally if I was in the market for an inexpensive rifle, I would look for a JC Higgins Model 50, which was a Belgian FN Mauser action. They seem to pop up here and there, and at reasonable prices.

Another option is the Ithica imported Tikka LSA 55 (short action) and 65 (long action). These were produced by Tikka prior to their merger with Sako, and are superb rifles. They are not expensive and I have yet to see one that was not a shooter.

Either will last a couple generations (at a minimum) and have more pride in ownership than some of the economy junk they are putting out these days.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I bought a Savage Hog Hunter, because it had a threaded barrel. That thing flat out shoots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lately in my area I see plenty of second hand deer rifles for sale and the prices arent bad at all and nobody seems to be paying any attention to them. Everyone wants an inexpensive handgun or a tactical rifle

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Personally if I was in the market for an inexpensive rifle,

Another option is the Ithica imported Tikka LSA 55 (short action) and 65 (long action). These were produced by Tikka prior to their merger with Sako, and are superb rifles. They are not expensive and I have yet to see one that was not a shooter.

Regarding the LSA, A spare magazine is getting close to 1/2 the price of the whole rifle. What a shame as they are a fine rifle indeed.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman

I cannot speak for the TC Venture as I've never owned one, but I'd prefer an older used M-70 or M-700 to any of the others listed. I've also been pleased with the Howa and Weatherby Vanguard that I've purchased for under $300 delivered....yes….used, but still excellent rifles.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I picked up a Marlin 336 a year ago in 30/30, built in 1979, that shoots cloverleafs at 75 yards with Winchester 150gr Power Max bonded bullets.

$199 out the door at the Pawn shop for a walnut/blue piece of work. It will cover just about 100% of the deer hunting I do locally.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Personally if I was in the market for an inexpensive rifle, I would look for a JC Higgins Model 50, which was a Belgian FN Mauser action. They seem to pop up here and there, and at reasonable prices.

Either will last a couple generations (at a minimum) and have more pride in ownership than some of the economy junk they are putting out these days.

Do many people in the first half of their lives value the concept of "pride of ownership" anymore? If so, I'm not seeing it very often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.