Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I Live in WA and bought a TC System 1 about 25 years ago and had fun shooting it. I mostly just shot round balls and “plinked” with it. I never got to hunt with it and let a buddy borrow it for a special hunt. He didn’t clean it, it got trashed. I kept hunting modern and archery and never got back into it.

So, I’m interested in getting back into it. I’m more interested in the modern rifles because I live on the wet side of WA state. I know the rules have changed since I last shot a muzzleloader 25 years ago, and there are a lot more options in rifles. I’d like to find a rifle with open sights, using a reliable ignition in wet climate. I’m interested in the rifle as a tool, not a lifestyle.

What say all? A friend has a Knight ultra light and seems to like it. I’ve looked at Knights, Encores, and CVA. I just don’t have the experience to know what features to value over others.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A little pricey, but you know I like the Knight UL

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up one of those Bighorns for less than $300 and hunt a couple years before I dump $1k on the UL. Midway has the CVA Accura V2 for under $400 as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a Knight fanboy myself, slightly older crop. I do a fair amount of IL deer hunting with the M-L, kinda a free for all with the regs there.

I don’t know the regulations in WA State. I’d go with a modern inline if allowed. A scope is no biggie, though I use one if able.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 50 cal CVA wolf and with 100 gr BH 209, Federal 209 primers and Harvester Green Sabot/ Hornady 300 gr .458 jacketed pistol bullets it shoots 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I have $125 in the ML rifle and $100 in the scope but I don't think you can use a scope where you hunt.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a great rig.

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
I have a 50 cal CVA wolf and with 100 gr BH 209, Federal 209 primers and Harvester Green Sabot/ Hornady 300 gr .458 jacketed pistol bullets it shoots 1" to 1.5" groups at 100 yards. I have $125 in the ML rifle and $100 in the scope but I don't think you can use a scope where you hunt.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a great rig.

Tracy

Tell us your secret on how you get a 458 bullet in a Harvester 50x44cal sabot. I would love to hear it. I did not even know Hornady made a 458 PISTOL bullet. Even if it is a .452 it must be a real trick getting it in a Harvester 50/44cal sabot.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I got outta muzzleloading 10-12 yrs ago! Two yrs ago I decided to pick it up again. I found a 50 cal CVA Optima V2 LR, 26 in stainless fluted, 209 primer at Wally World during their "clearance" sale madness. Regularly 400 bucks, for 164. Also found 5-6 bottles of Blackhorn 209 for 9 dollars per. Bought all they had. I use 300 gr 44 and 45 cal XTP bullets in Harvester Green and Black sabots. It shoots either one really well!

I guess what Im trying to say, check out the line of CVA rifles!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It isn’t difficult to keep a flinter’s lock dry in rain. They figured that out over 300 years ago.

BP substitutes are gay.

Good luck,

Lord Black

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I guess I'm old school. I still shoot a 50 caliber T/C Renegade with No Excuses or Hornady Great Plains conicals, 2F Goex black powder and I've switched out the #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple. Because my 63 year old eyes aren't what they used to be, I've added a Williams Fool Proof peep sight and a green fiber optic front sight. I've always thought the muzzleloader hunt should be, at least, kinda primitive. Probably the same reason I shoot a recurve bow and cedar arrows. I never could get used to compounds. Hell, they have training wheels on them.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well thats super you 2. Maybe you can start your own topic about "anti inline" crap. The OP however asked about modern MLs. Oddly your "opinions" did not seem to even remotely apply to his topic.

Knights are great rifles and capable of several ignition configurations. Im not a fan of the FPJ but they are quite resistant to bad weather.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I tried to order a CVA Accura V2 and had some issues getting it delivered. Ended up with a T/C Encore Pro Hunter FX .50 cal. put a Williams peep on it and plan on shooting it this week. I will also pick up a traditional rifle of some sort, hopefully a .54.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Small world. I lent out my TC Hawken to my friend Bud. He returned it a year later,he hadn't cleaned it, barrel ruined.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Overkill45
Well thats super you 2. Maybe you can start your own topic about "anti inline" crap. The OP however asked about modern MLs. Oddly your "opinions" did not seem to even remotely apply to his topic.

Knights are great rifles and capable of several ignition configurations. Im not a fan of the FPJ but they are quite resistant to bad weather.

He asked about inlines/modern guns due to concerns about living on the wet side of the mountains, no? Implies he thinks old school BP guns are vulnerable to rain. That isn't the fact of the matter. Just sayin'. I didn't post here to start a riot, we already got enough of that going on here in America.

I live here in Floriduh, the Rainshine state. Hunting with conventional BP guns in our weather is no big deal. Doesn't matter if they are caplock or flinters. Simply to grab a piece of soft leather, tie it to the wrist/barrel on the bottom side and flip it over the top. Don't point your muzzle to the heavens and carry on. Flip the leather off and kill something when it suits.

FWIW, I've not used BH209 and won't comment on it, but 777 and Pyrodex left uncleaned will trash a barrel right quick after firing if the air is wet/humid and it's not cleaned properly. One of my lazy friends found that out the hard way. Real BP is easy to clean contrary to popular myth and with all that said, I merely wanted to offer and alternative. Yeah, I know, BP guns aren't accurate and are old school junk.
50 yards offhand:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hope that helps get the knot out of your shorts.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have and use both types. Either can fizzle in damp weather, or work just fine. First thing our OP need to do, IMO, is learn the rules in WA. If he goes traditional, no problem. If he wants an inline, Knight makes models that meet the Western regs, as may other makers.

When I ordered my new Ultra Lite, I specified Colorado Legal, which has sights and legal breeching for that state, and is also D&T'd for optics. A percussion bolt and plug would, I think, make it WA and OR legal, not that that's ever gonna happen. I just wanted every option on the table. i also got the nitride over SS finish. Replaced the rear leaf with an aperture, which may not be legal on the coast. No question about Knight quality,if you're willing to spring. If one of the less pricey ones will meet the regs, go for it. Midway has, or had, good deals on Knights. You order through them, the rifle is built and drop-shipped by Knight. I saved maybe $200.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I dont think he gives a rat's ass if you can keep your boat paddle dry. The OP asked about 3 specific makes and none on them sell rock scratchers. He went as far to say he wants a tool and not a life style. So if you like playing dress up and scratching rocks to ignite your powder ....have at it but nothing you offered is remotely close to the topic or even what he was asking about.

BP subs are gay huh? WTF does that mean exactly? So to be manly you got to play dress up and scratch rocks instead of a 209 with a far less corrosive powder like BH209?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You think they're gay?
Been a weirdo all your life, hey?

GFY,

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I can tell you that if you are hunting in wet weather you need a barrel condom at a minimum. I am going to order a Caldwell allweather fast case and try this also as our muzzleloader season typically has rain or snow. A cousin used to wrap his action in saran wrap before he left the truck in a rain also.
I have had a number of CVA muzzleloaders and think pretty highly of their Accura's for the money. Blackhorn is a world of difference from pellets or 777.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had a Knight original disc rifle for 25 years. Bought it for $150.00 with a metric ton of bullets, powder, sabots, cleaning supplies and accessories. Killed a pile of deer with it. Bought an encore last year, and will go back to my knight this season. Screwing the kid and letting him have the Encore

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Must be that time of the month.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Knight is running a special on their Wolverine's right now. Dynatek coated Green Mountain barrel, Timney trigger, Williams fiber optic sights, all for $199. I picked one up myself even though I didn't need one.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 82 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.