-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My buddy and I were in a similar situation on our first elk trip to central Montana. We debated for months if our 300 mags would be enough or if we should go get classic 338 elk killers. What if we had to take a 400 or 500 yard shot and so on. We went with the 300's since we already shot them well. Once we got there we found out the outfitter didn't want any of us shooting over 250 yards, so my 300RUM with a big Swaro scope turned out to be a little overkill, but I was lucky enough to take a nice 6x6 that didn't complain about being too dead.

During sight in I asked the outfitter (with 30+ years experience guiding) what he preferred for caliber, bullet and so on. He told me if every hunter would show up with a well worn 30-06 with a good 3-9 or even 2-8 scope, shooting 165 or 180 partitions his life would be a whole lot simpler. While I don't have near the experience with elk as many of the others here, I have gone on a few more trips since then, mostly cow hunts for meat but with the exception of last years 445 yard kill I could have easily gotten by with a 308 and 165 partitions or accubonds. I put the same question about caliber/bullet preference to all my outfitters, a couple of them wanted 7mm as a minimum but they all agreed that a 30-06 in good hands will kill any elk that walks. I did have one that said he liked his clients using 30 calibers but he personally used a 270wsm for everything.

Like others here have said, take the two that carry and shoot the best, put the absolute best glass on top (you can't hit what you can't see) as well as really good bino's that you don't mind looking through for several hours per day. Throw in a good pair of sturdy, well-worn boots and go have a blast.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I remember a few years back I had a chance to go on an elk hunt before my finances fell through that year. One reason my finances fell through was that everybody on the forum I was on was telling me I would need a 7 mag minimum. So I went and ended up buying both a 7 Remington Mag and a .300 WBY (long story about the two but really stupid of me for falling for all the magnum hype, I knew better). Then I come on here and for the last year I've read 50 people or more tell me they elk hunt with a .270 or 06 and even .308 and you just need a good bullet and have the skill to place the shot where it needs to be, both common sense and something someone who's hunted as much as me should know. WOW! What common sense is this? Anyway, after almost a year here I feel very confident in either my .270 or one of my .30-06s for elk. What can I say? If you've never been there-done that, you're at other people's mercy and really don't know what to believe if you're not comfortable with your knowledge.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/07/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Jeffrey--good luck. Lots of pressure in that unit. If you see a branch antlered bull, you better be prepared to pull the trigger.

Last time I was there, I went through the Darby check station on something like the 8th of November (+ or -) and they had had 2400 hunters, 120 elk. And they are only open on the weekends!

It's not very high there, so oxygen shouldn't be an issue.

I love playing the rifle games too, but have realized that it isn't as important as we like to make it. Any of your choices will work.

I love that valley. Maybe I'll get back there permanently one day.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The only suggestion I would offer is on the choice of bullet, as you stated. Personally, I won't use a Sierra for any hunting purpose. I have shot Nosler quite a bit, am absolutely confident in them, and would use a Partition or Accubond. I have never been disappointed. The bullet would no longer be a worry, and you could then focus on the really hard part of finding an elk and working into a shooting opportunity. Any sensible caliber will get the job done. Your 30-06 or 7mm-08 are great choices. Charlie Sisk coined the phrase, "Load Partitions, shut up, go hunting"

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Oh, one more thing, can't believe I forgot...Semper Fi brother!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jeff, thank you for you service!

I can’t imagine your old 06 wouldn’t get it done. I’m partial to Barnes tsx/ttsx and might suggest one of those in 150-180 grains if you are concerned about your 180 Sierra. My mom took a 21” barreled 7/08 to Africa a few years ago with 140TTSX I loaded for her. It killed kudu, wildebeest, gemsbok and a very large zebra very handily. Good luck!

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tater74
Your 06 with 180s will do just fine. Don't overthink it.

This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’m all over the place. I ordered some 180 Accubonds for the Federal since I couldn’t locate any 160TTSX. At any rate I’ll be shooting a bunch with all three rifles between now and then. I’m sure I’ll come up with the pecking order eventually. I’ll order some of the 200 partitions for the 06’ and something for the 7/08. Really looking forward to this trip.

There are certainly "better" bullets you can pick for all-around elk hunting on unfamiliar ground with lots of unknowns than 180 grain Sierras in a 30-06. The problem isn't that they don't work. The problem is that they don't check all the variable boxes as well as some other bullets, like Partitions (and many others). I carry 200gr Partitions at 2600 when I carry a 30-06 after elk these days. It's sort of a "do it all" load for both the timber and open country shots. I'm fairly confident in the bullet, and very confident I can shoot it well.

All of your rifles will work just fine, so take what you want to hunt, and pick the bullet that sounds the coolest to shoot your elk with. Then shoot to kill, as in aim to hit the elk square in the vitals. Elk fever is still a big factor for me, and I've been hunting elk since I was 14, over 3 decades ago. I see other long-time elk hunters get it bad too sometimes. Handling your nerves and shooting well will be a bigger factor in preventing a rodeo than what caliber and bullet you pick.

For me, as it has always been, elk hunting is most about the boots and my physical endurance level. I've never shot one from next to a road. Others I have hunted with have had better luck than I have this way.

I hope yours is a successful hunt, with lots of great times and special memories. Hunting elk has been and continues to be one of the driving forces in my life, year-round. I love it, and got addicted to it a long time ago.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd be toting the 7'08. Not even close.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for all the advice. Been shooting all three a lot. Liking the idea of the 338F a lot. Narrowing down to a load with 180 Accubonds at 2800 with H322. Have loads in all three rifles that are performing so I’m feeling good about all that. 180 Partitions in the 06 are good and have 140 Accubonds doing well in the 7. Now I just have another 3 months or so to figure it out.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As you heard from others great to have confidence in your rifle, better to be able to catch your breath & be steady at the shot after running 200 yards uphill to get into position. Good boots & Best possible conditioning will have more to do with success.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can probably guess which rifle I would use. Here's my Pre64 M70 30Gov't06. Was shooting Hornady 180gr SP's on this bull.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by tater74
Your 06 with 180s will do just fine. Don't overthink it.

^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by centershot
You can probably guess which rifle I would use. Here's my Pre64 M70 30Gov't06. Was shooting Hornady 180gr SP's on this bull.

Love that pic.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.