Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
I just got a SWFA SS 10X Milrad scope and I have to say it is as solid as Stick says they are. Took me a while to realize how much you have to adjust when the clicks are .1 mil , but once I got past that little understanding I am really liking this first of what I think will be several of their scopes.... I've also had good luck with the Weaver V16 scopes on several of my rimfires....

Bob

Once you shoot a scope that actually works,you are immediately ruined. While ANY scope can be gawked through,mechanics are that which matter most and once you can TRUST same,the whole enchilada changes. I reckon a few of them things,have come to fruition and a goodly portion of your larder is losing rapid luster,in extrapolation. It happens. Hint.(grin)

In actuality,the .1 mil erector graduation,is greater than either .25" per 100yds or .25 MOA,so it takes less adjustment to correct a situation. On the finite scale a .1 Mil "click" will move POA .36" at the 100yd line,which equates to 3.6" at the 1000yd line. The typical Reupold 1/4" at 100yd adjustment,will shift POA 2.5" at the 1000yd line,if they actually did track. That of course,if you are talking the lineal scale,as opposed to pissing up a rope and trying to duoble-dip and "convert" one scale to another(Mil's to MOA). You were supposed to call FIRST,as I've been through this a bajillion times and have long sorted THE Fast Track. Hint.

Cut to the chase and try to forget everything you think you "know" and start with CLEAN Slate. Simply run come-up's in .1 Mil graduations and factor wind as a Base 10 Formula,with range graduations in 10yd increments,starting at the 10yd line. Simplistic reaffirmation,will simply stare you in the face and there's NOTHING to "convert". Hint.

As an example in 22LR at sealevel,in current conditions,in the front yard. CCI Mini-Mag's if only for consensus and archaeic reasoning,meaning nobody has never not shot it and is familiar. Velocity 1235fps as an opening move and easily corrected without a chronograph,in but a coupla shots. 1.75" sight height,a 30mm mainstay on turnbolts. Only 500yds here,but it sets the stage and correlates principles. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bore sight,shoot a single poke at at any cited distance inside the 100yd line and simply gawk the correction. No thang to correlate,correct,apply and set zero. If you are at 90yds and factor a prescribed 50yd zero impacting 1.1 Mil's low,that is easily arranged in seconds,the turret set to the 1.1 correction,zero'd there and it will be NO "surprise" that it's dead nuts at the 50yd line and on "0". Sole malady,would be gross atmospheric calculations input,or an inordinate velocity,at said distance. Hint.

From there I wanna KNOW a coupla things. Firstly,where my reticle loses it's ability to correct both elevation and windage. The 270yd line is 9.9 Mil's and it takes but a second to confirm same,on the reticle alone. Secondly,I wanna know how much erector travel remains in the system,because everything below zero is 100% fhuqking USELESS. That constant,fhuqks alotta folks up,likely because it's too simplistic. The 10X MQ has 40 Mil's internal erector travel,on centered windage and I want to retain ALL of that,I can arrange. Thus the copious amount of 75 MOA 1913 extended rails for Anschutz 54's,at my house. No thang to incorporate 'Horn's in the fray,so as to coax PRECISELY and I've prolly a "few" rifles wearing same. Hint.

From there,it's just a simplistic matter to confirm come-up's,tune DOPE and apply same as per whim. Obviously in 22LR,favorable atmospherics will do some large favors,for making such initial determinations. Hint.

Wind is simply factored as Base 10,due the impetus being a 10mph right angle of flight path influence. A quartering wind,cuts that value in half and before you even know it,you have taught yourself more about Wind reading in 5-shots,than the previous portion of your life. Mainly because you now have a scope that measures same,by simply looking through the fhuqking thing...which really ain't that "novel" for an aiming device,but in actuality IS. Call a 330yd shot as "full value",but drift in actuality is 3 Mil's,rather than the prescribed 4 and you KNOW that it was a 7.5 mph impetus. Don't slight the magnitude,of that inherent ability and how the principle applies to ANY bullet,ANY chambering,ANY velocity and at ANY distance. All by just looking though the fhuqking scope,you are looking through anyways. Now what WILL change,is the distance you can correct same,on the reticle alone,as there's 5 Mil's left and right of center. I'll often get in a Real World LR Rimfire Condition and dial in at lull value,leaving myself 5 "fresh" Windage Mil's to chase on top of that mechanical input. It's ALL lineal and graduations can be stacked,in whichever manner of preference,to yield the sum requisite. Hint.

Looking at the above supplied chart,one can see that the 5 Mil windshield correction factor,ends at the 430yd line for a 10mph full value influence. Stadia gets bold on many things,though with even a barely trained eye,one can extrapolate beyond happily(especially in haste). 20.6 Mil's of "up" and a 5 mil wind hold,is kid's play. 'Course NONE of this can be realized at The Playground or with out actually SHOOTING,which knocks more than a few outta da' mix. Hint. LAUGHING!

Scaling up a wee bit and looking in contrast,a "lowly" 7-08 with a 180 at 2600fps in like atmosphere,burns well shy of 5 Mil wind holdoff to the 2000yd line,with a Base 10 factored. That one REALLY fhuqks with heads.(grin)

Hint.

Anywhoo,welcome to the World of schit that ACTUALLY fhuqking works!

Now as to the V-16's,they've barely 40" per 100yds of total mechanical erector(and nothing on the reticle),while a 10x MQ reticle will simply subtend at 36" correction at the 100yd line,by simply looking through it. Once mechanics enters the fray,magnification quickly goes away. As an aside,the 10x MQ will adjust 140"++ at the 100yd line,if only in "fairness". Hint.

Interesting topic,I've not thought much of this stuff before.

Laughing!

Thank me later..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I hear a loud silence around here. Has no one a comment on kintuky windage and knowing your 'holdovers' in the deer woods. I have done both and like it or not the bs is correct. Math actually works and is not that hard. If you own a rangefinder a reliable and consistent scope shooting is more fun.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, I'll PM ya later...

The scope is everything you said and more. Even a dummy like me could learn a few things on this scope and I am really digging the reticle arrangement on this thing. Hope to give it a workout this week on some sagerats- heading out Tuesday for a few days to tally some scope practice on live targets...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cummins just hung up his clamps ...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There’s more good info in Sticks post here than the sum total of posts in this forum in the last six months

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by 300MAG
Nightforce.......RUGGED, RELIABLE, REPEATABLE.....case closed!!

This^^^ ive also had good luck with SWFA ss fixed as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I hear a loud silence around here. Has no one a comment on kintuky windage and knowing your 'holdovers' in the deer woods. I have done both and like it or not the bs is correct. Math actually works and is not that hard. If you own a rangefinder a reliable and consistent scope shooting is more fun.

mike r

I use holdover on certain setups where they are less likely to ever be dialed and I don't intend to shoot them beyond 500 yards. an example is my AR 223's I still just them for colony varmints to 500 ish yards. but that isn't primary. So use holdover with a reticle capable of doing that.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Another vote for SWFA. Have three SS fixed. Turrets are bankable, every time.

Some of my Leupold VX3s, but not all. They have other virtues, and rifles they serve don't need turret fiddling on the fly.

My older Permacenter Lymans don't need rapping. Nor do my older-than-that Super-Targetspots......oh, wait.......those use external adj mounts smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If only in fairness,it has never been difficult to separate them who actually shoot,from those who TRY to talk like the do. That's a purty fhuqking Fair Warning. Hint. Laughing!

Not to steal any Playground or C-clamp "thunder". Hint.

I enjoy folks TRYING to talk well beyond their abilities,means and comprehension,while unknowingly schlepping Stupidity to places it's never been before...by simply doing their BEST. Some should read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Lineal Angular Scales,tend to be rather handy for everything. Doubly so,when the erector and reticle speak the same language and do same unerringly,throughout their adjustment latitude. A scope's job is to steer boolits and if your opening move is to make excuses for a scope's inability to do same,you just "might" wanna start taking notes and applying same. Hint.

Though I do very MUCH enjoy them that cain't connect a single fhuqking dot,or even use actual ammo in a REAL rifle,as a "test bed" for their "findings". The oblivious humor is simply offa the fhuqking charts! Hint. LAUGHING!

As an aside,mechanical shortcomings are not "virtues".

Hint.

Bless hearts for TRYING.

Laughing!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
There’s more good info in Sticks post here than the sum total of posts in this forum in the last six months

I believe this.....but I need a translation. It's over my head mostly.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
only way to know is test yourself. people say SWFA, SWFA, my 20x doesn't track correctly, the 3x9 HD did, the 10x did, the 3-15 DID NOT. that is a 50% failure rate. lots of myths out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'shaw,

Lotsa wind/rain today and I'm playing with a new Donor rifle and reloading,so I'll toss a lifeline. You point to that which is too Technical and I'll soften it up. Hint.

I'd not linger,or fhuqk the opportunity away.

Re-hint.(grin)......................

Myths and Wives Tales abound,due to the perpetuation of same by CLUELESS Fhuqktards,doing their "best". Which is of course THE funniest fhuqking part. Hint. Congratulations?!?

(4) scopes that never saw a live round,under the auspice of "testing",is simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Read that again. Now one more time. You Melting Snowflakes are a hoot! Hint.

I've "only" shot welllllllll over a hunnert SWFA's and only own 70+,unless I'm sandbagging.(grin) The only one of which hasn't seen actual trigger time,is setting in the box it was shipped in,which I've yet to open. Am waiting upon a coupla builds,which will rectify that situation. Hint.

Now as to the 3-15x in particular,I can only speak to them in the first hand ala MQ FFP's and DMR SFP's,none of which has begun to waiver under actual use and shooting confirmations. I realize that prolly ain't "fair" and I couldn't begin to formulate how'd they do mounted on a swing set,at The Playground,while yelling "Bang!" and "Get some!". I tend to actually flog upon wares and am more than a touch fluent in actual use,atmospheric influences and obscene round counts...in no particular fhuqking order. Blueprints run the gamut,mainly because I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

My Playground,pardon the live rounds. Hint. LAUGHING!

Typical outing. Hint.

Bless your heart you poor poor Retarded DUMB Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
lots of myths out there.

... and statistical significance from a playground test, n of 4, with multiple uncontrolled variables; is one of them.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I videoed the 3-15. It returns to zero magically there is no way the test is bad you [bleep] tard. It’s impossible. If it can’t track when it’s not being shot. It’s not going to start when you shoot it. Keep living in bliss. Keep parroting the same bull$hit you hear on line that the tracking of swfa scopes are infallible. Some might be but not all.

Big stick. It hurts my head to read your posts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cumsincowboys,

Ain't it a fascinating constant,that the only fact you can offer in the first hand,is the pain associated with your pointy head being so chockfull of Incredible Fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint. Congratulations?!?

It'll only come as a "surprise" to you,that quivering lips,trembling fingers and copious drool,ain't "Test Equipment". There's NO slighting that your Melting Snowflake Routine,sure in the fhuqk is no "act". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

In fairness however,now you can say you've "seen" a 3-15x mounted on an actual rifle,instead of a swing set,which makes it a VERY Big Day for you. Hint. LAUGHING!

Mighta' been a "fluke" though. Knowing me,I prolly have a "few" more. Hint. LAUGHING!

Typical outing,though only .243" bores here. Hint.

Bless your heart,for doing your best.

Hint.

LAUGHING!........................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
I'm really getting tired of having scopes that need to be beat with a screwdriver, or tapped on the side when adjusting to get the adjustments to settle in. Why is it so hard to make a reliable erector system that goes up or right or left or down 1" at 100 yards when it says it will?

Which scopes that you own are reliable to just adjust and shoot and you get the adjustment you need? 1" up is 1" up and not 1" up and 3/4" right, adjust again, and again, and again, until you get where you need to be. And this is just to sight in- what if you have to dial in the field for a long shot? Can you trust your scope to get you where you expect to be when you take that shot you've been preparing for, possibly for years?

I find my Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb Elites to be about as close to what I expect as any scopes I own as far as being on target when I dial and adjusting where I expect them to go... my Leupolds always seem to be a fight to get adjusted where I want them to be...

What has been your experiences and which scopes have you found reliable.... and forget the Vortex fan boy nonsense- I've adjusted enough of my cousins, nephews, friends of son's Vortex scopes at the range on sight in days to know they are one of the worst I've dealt with..... Are the Meoptas, Swarovski's, Zeiss, etc... any better in this regard?

I do know that some of this is because of the scopes setting around, the lubrication inside gets gummy and interferes with the smooth function. But even with practically new scopes lately I can't seem to get an adjustment where I want it on the first couple tries to save my life on at least 50% of my scopes....

Okay, rant over and coffee is starting to kick in..... so, what say you?

Bob

NF
SWFA
S&B
Bushnell Elite Tactical line card
Zeiss V6 & V4

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll join in with the others, the plain old 6X SS is a sweet set up if you wanna learn and run an optic that does what it'll supposed it. Same for the 10X and 3x9's.. Those are the three I have ran

NF's and the Bushnell 4.5x18 and 3x12's have been pretty great as well with their G3 reticle.

Still, if the 6, 10 or 3x9's fit into your shooting they are a pile of goodness for not alot of money. I'll gladly take the weight penalty for knowing my stuff will work.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big Stick,
Have you ran any of the HD models?
This one caught my eye.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U
Any advantage?
I got a couple builds in the pipeline.
Thinking I need to pick up a couple.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
they are a pile of goodness for not alot of money.

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be nice if the japs started making them again.....

dave

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,103 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.