Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's priced in NZ dollars, so about $545 US. Still too much, but not as outrageous as it seemed at first blush.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Doesn't exactly float my cup of tea but it seems like a worthy effort for an E. I had one in 308 and had crossed my mind to do something functional with it until I decided no more 99 projects for me and sold it to a forum member.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first word that came to mind was WHY?

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldotter
Ok, time for me to get tar and feather treatment. Normally I do not gravitate to that sort of Tom-foolery, BUT for some unexplainable reason I can't soberly justify, I kinda like it. I would like to see it in darker wood, I having a clairvoyant moment that tells me not to post this, but I've done more stupider things in my time. crazy

Oldotter, is the key word in your post "soberly"? laugh

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This may get me run off the site but I've been toying with the idea of a similar stock for a Ruger 77 that I own. Boyds Gunstocks has it, they call it Coyote Laminate. That said, I don't think I'd like it on a 99. But I think their nutmeg laminate would look good. On this 99 though, those huge white flats right behind the receiver really turn me off.

I wonder if someone figured out how many layers and what thickness to get that white layer right there?

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Me thinks it looks great!

If it was in a pawn shop nearby......I would make an offer....I like it.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by Fireball2
If I had a fine pre-64 WInchester featherweight 270 and that Savage, I'd hunt the schit out of that levergun.

Saw that coming from a mile away...

Here's the Model 70 and it sits in the safe while I hunt the Savages.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd hunt a laminate stock. It's just the color choice doesn't match up with what I like. Too much white. Personal tase.

It is what it is.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
nothing a coat of paint wouldn't take care of. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Loggah
nothing a coat of paint wouldn't take care of. grin

Or nice warm fire on a chilly night.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm all for experimental woodworking and sustainable wood use. Engineered wood is the way of the future. Pretty walnut stocks on field-grade guns have already been replaced by plastic.

My problem with plywood gunstocks is that they are 50% heavier than walnut, so the hogged out forearm and V-block is a creative solution to lightening-up this stock.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So what's up with the weight of plywood stocks? Is it the type of wood used or the glue or all of the above that makes them heavy? I always though an E done up in a fiberglass or plastic stock painted green or brown with webbing (something along the lines of what Remington does) would have looked about as good as it gets for modern field guns. And then having the gun hard chromed with a satin finish would have taken it to the next level for durability. Plywood is okay but not my first choice in terms of aesthetics for today.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
So what's up with the weight of plywood stocks? Is it the type of wood used or the glue or all of the above that makes them heavy? I always though an E done up in a fiberglass or plastic stock painted green or brown with webbing (something along the lines of what Remington does) would have looked about as good as it gets for modern field guns. And then having the gun hard chromed with a satin finish would have taken it to the next level for durability. Plywood is okay but not my first choice in terms of aesthetics for today.

Did I ever show you guys photos of the ceracoated guns? grin grin

LOL
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Remember back, when those uglies at the bar started looking good at 3am? That's never gonna happen here.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by S99VG

Did I ever show you guys photos of the ceracoated guns? grin grin

Yes, and I often quote you on the "clubability" of the 99R! Your observation on the weight of the R summed it up better than anything else I have ever read or heard.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it is the color that I object to the most. I have 10-22's in laminate stocks and don't object to the looks.

Here are the other colors available...
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We all have different tastes. I defend anyone's right to pick out something ugly.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now this guy has very, very different tastes... but it started out his grandfathere's 1899H in 22HP that came out of a fire, so he didn't hurt anything.

But... wow. Would NOT be my style choice.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Not mine either. Camouflage is an interesting thing. As I understand it, camo isn't intended to mimic any particular environment but more so to break up the lines of the thing or person it is hiding. It does so by masking the the object so it doesn't appear to have the recognizable patters, sizes, geometry, shapes, mass or what have you to the observer. And in that vein camouflage attempts to deceiver the observer into thinking the thing he is about to run into isn't even there. But that is one butt ugly 99!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's ugly too.
What S99VG says is correct. The people in Scotland developed plaid clothing to break up their outlines so the limey soldiers couldn't spot them in the shadows. Those red and black wool shirts and jackets we all love do the same especially for critters that are color blind like moose, elk, deer, wildebeast, etc. There is some debate about whether proghorns are color blind.
When we hid our deuce and a halfs in the woods on Camp Pendleton, we had to throw camouflage over that big black hole at the back of the bed cover so it wouldn't show to the enemy. Even negative spaces need camouflage since there are very few big black holes in nature. OK, there are cave openings.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.