Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes. Spotting your own shots is a good thing.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
All three of my Tikkas in .223 wear Leupold FX-3 12x40 AO Target scopes.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Leupold M8 6x on my 223 Montana.
Pic in Image Gallery.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's all I have ever had on my .223. I have not seen an issue with it, other than prairie dogs out past 300 or so yards. Bigger varmints like coyotes and such isn't an issue to 500 or so. Maybe more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Leupold M8 6x on my 223 Montana.
Pic in Image Gallery.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an Excellent Zeiss 6x Diavari as an extra. It would be perfect for a short action .223. If interested send a PM as I'm willing to part with it to a new owner who can use it.

Last edited by stevevan1; 06/20/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by stevevan1
I have an Excellent Zeiss 6x Diavari as an extra. It would be perfect for a short action .223. If interested send a PM as I'm willing to part with it to a new owner who can use it.

6x Diavari?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Farm gun that lives on the ATV and tractor is a .223 Montana with a 6x SWFA. Kid's .223AI wears a 6x Meopta. RRA AR wears a 6x SWFA.

.223 and 6x42....peas n carrots......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fotis
Is this enough power for the 223 as a varmint gun?
What say you?

Fotis, for calling predators, yes. For buck toothed colony varmints, no.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ingwe
What say you?

Fotis, for calling predators, yes. For buck toothed colony varmints, no.

This.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Heavens no. You need at least 40x with an objective bell no smaller than 60mm, gathers a lot more light, you know, so you can shoot PDs in the dark, oh, and elevation turrets the size of baby food jars.

Note: The rings need 4 screws per side (total of 16) for that heavy recoil, and if the barrel twist is slower than 1 turn every 4 inches, chuck it in the dumpster with the other scrap metal.

Winner! LMAO

Last edited by silver78; 06/25/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What say you?

I have one 223. It is a bolt gun, a Savage model 10 with a Leupold M8 6x42. I don't use it for varmints, but rather general rifle practice, and the scope is fine for that.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
friend was varmint hunting 20 years ago and was using a low powered scope on a 22-250. he kept seeing a ground hog setting up at 350-400yards and everytime he would get ready to shoot the hog would go back down and out of sight. after 15-20 min a guy stood up right where he had been watching what he thought was a groundhog,he had been seeing the back of the guys head raise up and down as he trout fished the stream behind the field, pretty much broke him using low powered scopes. get a higher powered scope and see what you are shooting at instead of what you think you see. yes I called him stupid a thousand times after that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd of called him stupid for using his rifle scope, of any power to spot critters.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
A few years back I took a Kimber Montana with a 6x SWFA MQ to Colorado to shoot Richardson ground squirrels. I had a ton of ammo loaded for it so it got the nod when my buddy gave me short notice.

Now, I'm not saying the 6x would be my first choice, but my hit count was very impressive out to 400 yards + and the Milquad reticle a veritable rock star!

Granted, the Richardsons are pachyderms compared to the tiny sage rats Ingwe is talking about.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'd of called him stupid for using his rifle scope, of any power to spot critters.

That one aint about using your scope to spot critters as much as it is knowing your back stop and what's behind it.

Whew, hate hearing stories like that even when nobody got hurt.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m running a SWFA 6x MQ on an RAR .223 1/8.
It’s my range gun and general plinker. The first centerfire I use to introduce newbies to the sport.
It’s fine for ground squirrels to 200 yards or even rock chucks to 300.
But generally for colony varmint shooting I will use the .204 and 4.5x14 Leupold.
I think 6X is a pretty good match for calling coyotes or on any big game rifle.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higginez

That one aint about using your scope to spot critters as much as it is knowing your back stop and what's behind it.

That too, no doubt.
They're both dumb things to do but srwshooter never said there was or wasn't a safe background, just that his friend was trying to shoot a "groundhog" he'd "identified" through his low powered riflescope. There easily could have been a high bank to that creek that would have made the shot itself safe....assuming the target really was a groundhog.

It spooks me too to even read about such situations, even if the shot never happened.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higginez

That too, no doubt.
They're both dumb things to do but srwshooter never said there was or wasn't a safe background, just that his friend was trying to shoot a "groundhog" he'd "identified" through his low powered riflescope. There easily could have been a high bank to that creek that would have made the shot itself safe....assuming the target really was a groundhog.

It spooks me too to even read about such situations, even if the shot never happened.

That could be a major problem. I remember one time when a buddy and I went coyote calling and my buddy thought he saw a yote coming towards us. He was looking through his low powered rifle scope and after he fired, the doe jumped up and spun around and high tailed it out of there...
Originally Posted by srwshooter
friend was varmint hunting 20 years ago and was using a low powered scope on a 22-250. he kept seeing a ground hog setting up at 350-400yards and everytime he would get ready to shoot the hog would go back down and out of sight. after 15-20 min a guy stood up right where he had been watching what he thought was a groundhog,he had been seeing the back of the guys head raise up and down as he trout fished the stream behind the field, pretty much broke him using low powered scopes. get a higher powered scope and see what you are shooting at instead of what you think you see. yes I called him stupid a thousand times after that.

A lot of guys here are using low powered scopes on their 223's. Seems like a good idea, right?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's not very fun to have someone inadvertently shooting in your direction. That story makes me nauseated. Fuucking morons everywhere I go anymore. Apparently that isn't a new trend.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.