Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14988394 06/22/20
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Finally found a new production Python and ordered, early release guns had issues. Hoping more recent production worked the bugs out, what is the experience with later released models, thanks.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sounds like a winner!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Colt claims that the only issue was that the side plate wasn't cinched down tight enough before they left the factory, and somehow a fully cinched down side plate is required to keep all the internal parts working right. All they did was make sure of that, and likely used some Loctite, too.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody care to weigh in with what the actual street price is running?

Thanks,

Tim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Really?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I paid suggested retail thru sportsmans warehouse.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

Really?

No.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Really?

No.

Yes, really. Check it out. That doesn't make it a bad gun, but the new Python is not made by Colt. It's made for Colt.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=TNrifleman]Manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms.

Really?

No.

Yes, really. Check it out. That doesn't make it a bad gun, but the new Python is not made by Colt. It's made for Colt.

—————————————

Speaking for myself only. IF it’s not made BY Colt, I would NOT give MSRP
and probably would not buy one.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hey All....have my 4" for about a six weeks now...paid MSRP thru Sportsmans Warehouse....its ok if you like a 11lb double action pull and a 6lb 8oz. single action pull...
also you can see the hammer move back as you squeeze the trigger in single action mode....indicates hammer & trigger angles are not correct....wish i had known this beforehand...
ithis is totally unacceptable.....useless for any kind of accuracy....have given up on it and it is going down the road....a shadow of what Colt used to produce.....my 1976 6" blue Python puts it to shame.....
Pete

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a four inch Colt Model 357, which was the Cadillac Colt revolver in .357 Magnum before the Python came along. Built to exactly the same standards as the original Python, only lacking the vented rib and full underlug. All the same attention to detail. I've had several Pythons since the 1990s. The Model 357 is every bit the gun the Python is.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=pdman]Hey All....have my 4" for about a six weeks now...paid MSRP thru Sportsmans Warehouse....its ok if you like a 11lb double action pull and a 6lb 8oz. single action pull...
also you can see the hammer move back as you squeeze the trigger in single action mode....indicates hammer & trigger angles are not correct....wish i had known this beforehand...
ithis is totally unacceptable.....useless for any kind of accuracy....have given up on it and it is going down the road....a shadow of what Colt used to produce.....my 1976 6" blue Python puts it to shame.....
Pete

X X X X X X

Thank you sincerely. I’m glad to know the facts.

I’m SO disappointed tho.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know the Python has a following.....Im just not sure why? They have never had a particularly good double action like the pre-lock S&Ws. I crossed over from 1911 style pistols for competition back in 1993 and went to revolver shooting, ICORE mainly but used it in all other disciplines too. In over 25 years of serious revolver competition, Ive never once seen a Python, or any colt revolver for that matter used in competition.
Im not a handgun hunter other than jack rabbits etc, so maybe that is the niche the Python inhabits, I just don't know? I do know that as a competition or carry revolver, they don't make a pimple on the azz of a nice S&W revolver.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
People like it because it's cool and tough looking. No different than the classic muscle cars or old motorcycles. There's not a practical reason to like them, modern equivalents blow them away in almost every category...but the coolness department.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Is it possible that the series Walking Dead started the crazy price rise in Pythons? Rick, the star, carried a six inch Python. First episode premiered ten years ago.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
We got one into the shop and I dryfired it several times. I actually liked the DA pull but the squared off edges of the trigger didn't feel right to my finger.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
I know the Python has a following.....Im just not sure why? They have never had a particularly good double action like the pre-lock S&Ws. I crossed over from 1911 style pistols for competition back in 1993 and went to revolver shooting, ICORE mainly but used it in all other disciplines too. In over 25 years of serious revolver competition, Ive never once seen a Python, or any colt revolver for that matter used in competition.
Im not a handgun hunter other than jack rabbits etc, so maybe that is the niche the Python inhabits, I just don't know? I do know that as a competition or carry revolver, they don't make a pimple on the azz of a nice S&W revolver.

About the time you started shooting revolvers, most renowned gunsmiths and armorers of traditional DA Colt revolvers were either dead or retired.
Charles Askins won a shidt ton of medals with Colt DA revolvers and probably shot a few comancheros with them too, despite preferring a 1911 after WWII. I think the Border Patrol of his era primarily used Colt revolvers.
True, you will see Smiths used more. Cheaper, easier to tune along with a faster trigger return, unless we're talking MKIII or MKV actions, which Colt fans dont hold in as high regard.
Ever fire a TUNED mkv/King Cobra?

No matter. The Python fans killed them off too; I think its mostly cosmetics and some Boomer nostalgia that makes Pythons desireable.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Colt put in all the effort they were capable of putting in to make the best revolver they could make with both the Model 357 and the Python, and this in an age devoid of investment casting, CNC, and MIM. They are worthy of their status.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is it possible that the series Walking Dead started the crazy price rise in Pythons? Rick, the star, carried a six inch Python. First episode premiered ten years ago.

No.

I offloaded mine around 2006? People were getting stupid money for them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Colt put in all the effort they were capable of putting in to make the best revolver they could make with both the Model 357 and the Python, and this in an age devoid of investment casting, CNC, and MIM. They are worthy of their status.

My 8in. Brite Nickle Python , even before the deluxe trigger job, it shot superbly accurate. Trigger job 6 mos. after I bought it. Even better then.

I have a Smith Mod. 19 , with a tricked out , smooth and light action. Comparing the two ...The Python wins .

Never judge a man..till you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way... you will be a mile away from him... and you will have his shoes.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
My Python arrived, overall very pleased. No function issues, beautiful, well built handgun. Slight negatives that I will have fixed, rear sight has no tension on adjustment screw, concerned could self adjust under recoil, grooved trigger uncomfortable during double action use and single action pull unacceptable. Pleased with Colts re-introduction of this classic handgun, well worth the price to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
mark -

As long as you are satisfied and happy.......that's ALL that matters. (seriously)
I'm glad that you like it and hope you have many years of happy service from it.

I say those things because that is MY perspective about MY guns - shotguns, rifles, handguns. I don't lose a MINUTE of sleep over what someone else thinks of MY gun.

Happy Shooting, Hunting, Killing

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimZ
Anybody care to weigh in with what the actual street price is running?

Thanks,

Tim

Went to the actual Buds gun store in Lexington Kentucky, Not their internet sales ,they had a brand new 4 inch Python ,asking $2,000 dollors for it , I skipped by on it

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
mark -

As long as you are satisfied and happy.......that's ALL that matters. (seriously)
I'm glad that you like it and hope you have many years of happy service from it.

I say those things because that is MY perspective about MY guns - shotguns, rifles, handguns. I don't lose a MINUTE of sleep over what someone else thinks of MY gun.

Happy Shooting, Hunting, Killing

Jerry

Post of the decade right there.
Why does this escape so many?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Really?

No.

Can you tell us where you got the info from?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My local gun store has an original Colt Python (four inch barrel) in excellent condition with a price tag of $3,000.00. You could likely talk them down to $2,900.00. Were I in the market for one, I'd spend the extra $900.00 and get a real one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by markak338fed
..... grooved trigger uncomfortable during double action use and single action pull unacceptable. .....

Sounds like it's great as long as you don't use the trigger? Having a hard time ciphering how you got from there, to very pleased? I guess I would prioritize the trigger on a revolver well above most everything else save reliability. Especially on an above average priced "prestige" gun.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
RufusG, I'm sure someone else may love the grooved trigger, not a major issue for me, easily fixed. as for the single action trigger pull, I believe that is due to light hammer strikes/failure to fire with some brands of ammo in the early production Pythons and Colts fix for that adding a heavier spring. As soon as some pistolsmiths get some experience on the new Pythons I'll be getting a trigger job as I do with any new revolver. That said I'm still very pleased with my new revolver and like the changes Colt made in beefing up the frame and simplifying the trigger system. Others may feel different and to each their own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, that makes it a little clearer. I guess I would have described the single action as "less than ideal" or "not quite there" based on what you said rather than "unacceptable", or maybe "needs a little work to be perfect" lol.

And I have little experience with Colts, but have the same opinion on grooved triggers. I absolutely hate hate hate the Smith target trigger. I have to wonder if anyone actually shoots DA revolvers in double action. I'll take the smooth combat trigger, especially the extra wide one, every day. It seems like much less of a hindrance shooting SA than the target trigger is shooting DA.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Call the folks there at Colt and ask them.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

You are the one making the claim. Are you telling me if I call Colt they will say Charter Arms makes them for us?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave

No.

I offloaded mine around 2006? People were getting stupid money for them.

I had a few of them over the years and regret selling them. Not because I think they are the holy grail but because I would have cashed in for more money.

There is no way in hell I would pay what the going rate is now. Nice guns for sure but I am way past the mystique having owned a few.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

You are the one making the claim. Are you telling me if I call Colt they will say Charter Arms makes them for us?

Yes, if you get someone on the phone who is honest and actually knows what they're talking about.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok45 just posted his review of the four inch model this morning.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hickok45 just posted his review of the four inch model this morning.

Good to know. I'll be checking this out in the next day or so.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I know the early reviews of the New Python...wern't always complimentary....and I have not kept up. That is the reason I clicked on this thread.

Back when cops were carrying wheel-guns, there were a number of pistol teams, with a lot of cops shooting Pythons. Several years ago, I bought a 6" from a cop friend, that owned a gun shop. He was a long time target shooter and has ,for many years now, shooting a number of semi-autos, including 1911's and various striker fired pistols.

I like the Smiths and own quite a few. In my limited , but long time, experience , I prefer the Pythons. The weight of the Python is more steady, accurate for me.

I think one thing overlooked is the second "hand" that locked up the cylinder as it was fired. I also know the "hand" accounted for Pythons to get out of time , quite easily rectified.

The Smiths were 1: 18 twist...the pythons stabilized slugs better with a 1: 14 twist. Another thing is the "gain" bbl. on the python. if the new Pythons have that , I have no idea.

I have shot my 6 " a lot and it is quite accurate . I wish I could do as well with the new pistols. I recently bought a new Sig P 365 and a S&W 2.0. Even though , not the same class as the Pythons or Smiths, for that matter I have a harder time with all the semis'. I have a couple 8" pyhons , haven't shot them much. One not at all.

I don't reckon I will be too interested in the new ones.

I also need a scope for my Camo Anaconda.

Just my experience.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not a handgunner, hence the stupid question...if you had Python, the best Smith, or a Dan Wesson and a Ransome Rest under identical conditions...which would be likely to take the honors?
Accuracy only, no ergonomics, no cosmetics, no personal bias.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Not a handgunner, hence the stupid question...if you had Python, the best Smith, or a Dan Wesson and a Ransome Rest under identical conditions...which would be likely to take the honors?

Couldn't draw a conclusion from a sample of one each. Testing 100 or better yet 1000 of each might show a trend. Change loads and it's all up in the air again. I doubt the average user could realize any slight advantage one might show over the other.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke

I would take one not mentioned: the Colt Officers Model Target (pre war) or the Officer's Model Match (post war).

The pre war guns were specifically wadcutter guns and the forcing cones were abrupt specifically for their use. The later models are a bit more forgiving with many bullet shapes.

These guns were dimensionally .358-.357 throat, .356-.357 groove as well.
Pythons and Smiths post war were often tight for throat diameter and Pythons were also 9mm ish for groove.
A friend of mine was a half scale champion and he preferred the Python he had to all others, but it was also dimensionally sound. .358 throats, .356 groove.

DWs were/are often in need of a gas check. They shoot great but are a bit rough for lead.

I have a Smith 41, 17, 18 and 48s here, along with several 14s,15s,38-44s, 36s, 67s and 10s.
Even several other Colt guns. The OMTs and OMM 22/38's and probably the 32 Colt NP in the same if I had one are consistently the most accurate production revolvers Ive come across.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks Mr Hawk. If I am reading your post correctly...any well constructed revolver that has a throat that fits the bullet, and rifling depth to correspond, you probably will have an accurate gun regardless of name brand? So, if you went shopping, maybe the best thing you could take along (seller willing of course) would be a mike, lead slugging kit and maybe a few gage pins?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yes, especially with lead bullets, but jacketed bullets benefit too. I agree, the make is probably down the list.
Thread choke also hinders some production guns and has become more prominent as barrels are no longer pinned or fire tightened (think left hand twist).

Timing, forcing cone shape and finish, end shake all add up.
Freedom, MRI and many custom makers generally make dimensions about perfect; the Python definitely is not in their class in regards to throats for sure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Everybody knows Colt DA revolvers are the best, that's why Ed McGivern and Jerry Miculek used Colts.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Don't use or carry revolvers much anymore, mainly auto's. Still have 2 Smith k frame 4 inch 357's which I love. but there still is something about the Python that's special. Been putting a lot of rounds thru mine and am impressed, lock-up is very tight, very accurate and I believe it will hold up to a lot of heavy 357 loads very well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.