Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14988394 06/22/20
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Finally found a new production Python and ordered, early release guns had issues. Hoping more recent production worked the bugs out, what is the experience with later released models, thanks.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
sounds like a winner!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Colt claims that the only issue was that the side plate wasn't cinched down tight enough before they left the factory, and somehow a fully cinched down side plate is required to keep all the internal parts working right. All they did was make sure of that, and likely used some Loctite, too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anybody care to weigh in with what the actual street price is running?

Thanks,

Tim

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms.

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TNrifleman

Really?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I paid suggested retail thru sportsmans warehouse.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

Really?

No.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Really?

No.

Yes, really. Check it out. That doesn't make it a bad gun, but the new Python is not made by Colt. It's made for Colt.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=TNrifleman]Manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms.

Really?

No.

Yes, really. Check it out. That doesn't make it a bad gun, but the new Python is not made by Colt. It's made for Colt.

—————————————

Speaking for myself only. IF it’s not made BY Colt, I would NOT give MSRP
and probably would not buy one.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Hey All....have my 4" for about a six weeks now...paid MSRP thru Sportsmans Warehouse....its ok if you like a 11lb double action pull and a 6lb 8oz. single action pull...
also you can see the hammer move back as you squeeze the trigger in single action mode....indicates hammer & trigger angles are not correct....wish i had known this beforehand...
ithis is totally unacceptable.....useless for any kind of accuracy....have given up on it and it is going down the road....a shadow of what Colt used to produce.....my 1976 6" blue Python puts it to shame.....
Pete

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a four inch Colt Model 357, which was the Cadillac Colt revolver in .357 Magnum before the Python came along. Built to exactly the same standards as the original Python, only lacking the vented rib and full underlug. All the same attention to detail. I've had several Pythons since the 1990s. The Model 357 is every bit the gun the Python is.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=pdman]Hey All....have my 4" for about a six weeks now...paid MSRP thru Sportsmans Warehouse....its ok if you like a 11lb double action pull and a 6lb 8oz. single action pull...
also you can see the hammer move back as you squeeze the trigger in single action mode....indicates hammer & trigger angles are not correct....wish i had known this beforehand...
ithis is totally unacceptable.....useless for any kind of accuracy....have given up on it and it is going down the road....a shadow of what Colt used to produce.....my 1976 6" blue Python puts it to shame.....
Pete

X X X X X X

Thank you sincerely. I’m glad to know the facts.

I’m SO disappointed tho.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I know the Python has a following.....Im just not sure why? They have never had a particularly good double action like the pre-lock S&Ws. I crossed over from 1911 style pistols for competition back in 1993 and went to revolver shooting, ICORE mainly but used it in all other disciplines too. In over 25 years of serious revolver competition, Ive never once seen a Python, or any colt revolver for that matter used in competition.
Im not a handgun hunter other than jack rabbits etc, so maybe that is the niche the Python inhabits, I just don't know? I do know that as a competition or carry revolver, they don't make a pimple on the azz of a nice S&W revolver.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
People like it because it's cool and tough looking. No different than the classic muscle cars or old motorcycles. There's not a practical reason to like them, modern equivalents blow them away in almost every category...but the coolness department.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Is it possible that the series Walking Dead started the crazy price rise in Pythons? Rick, the star, carried a six inch Python. First episode premiered ten years ago.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
We got one into the shop and I dryfired it several times. I actually liked the DA pull but the squared off edges of the trigger didn't feel right to my finger.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
I know the Python has a following.....Im just not sure why? They have never had a particularly good double action like the pre-lock S&Ws. I crossed over from 1911 style pistols for competition back in 1993 and went to revolver shooting, ICORE mainly but used it in all other disciplines too. In over 25 years of serious revolver competition, Ive never once seen a Python, or any colt revolver for that matter used in competition.
Im not a handgun hunter other than jack rabbits etc, so maybe that is the niche the Python inhabits, I just don't know? I do know that as a competition or carry revolver, they don't make a pimple on the azz of a nice S&W revolver.

About the time you started shooting revolvers, most renowned gunsmiths and armorers of traditional DA Colt revolvers were either dead or retired.
Charles Askins won a shidt ton of medals with Colt DA revolvers and probably shot a few comancheros with them too, despite preferring a 1911 after WWII. I think the Border Patrol of his era primarily used Colt revolvers.
True, you will see Smiths used more. Cheaper, easier to tune along with a faster trigger return, unless we're talking MKIII or MKV actions, which Colt fans dont hold in as high regard.
Ever fire a TUNED mkv/King Cobra?

No matter. The Python fans killed them off too; I think its mostly cosmetics and some Boomer nostalgia that makes Pythons desireable.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Colt put in all the effort they were capable of putting in to make the best revolver they could make with both the Model 357 and the Python, and this in an age devoid of investment casting, CNC, and MIM. They are worthy of their status.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is it possible that the series Walking Dead started the crazy price rise in Pythons? Rick, the star, carried a six inch Python. First episode premiered ten years ago.

No.

I offloaded mine around 2006? People were getting stupid money for them.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.