Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Look into the Sneaky Pete holsters. They look like a cell phone case and you wear them comfortably outside your pants. I have one that I put my Ruger LCPII in and no one pays any attention to it. They also have some with graphics that further disguise it as a holster. Your pistol hides in plain sight. It's a lot faster to get your pistol drawn from a Sneaky Pete than from your pocket and leaves you pockets free for keys, change, wallet etc. If you do go with pocket carry, don't put anything else in the same pocket and always make sure it's in a secure holster.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pocket carry for me daily too. S&W Bodyguard w/laser.

Don't know how some folks abide an untucked shirt, especially a T-shirt. Some days, for sun protection, I'll wear an untucked chambray type shirt and could get away with another style of carry, but once in the shade on a warm day that comes off.

Once I lose a bit more weight I'm considering an IWB, but for now, the pocket holster is always filled.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Look into the Sneaky Pete holsters. They look like a cell phone case and you wear them comfortably outside your pants. I have one that I put my Ruger LCPII in and no one pays any attention to it. They also have some with graphics that further disguise it as a holster. Your pistol hides in plain sight. It's a lot faster to get your pistol drawn from a Sneaky Pete than from your pocket and leaves you pockets free for keys, change, wallet etc. If you do go with pocket carry, don't put anything else in the same pocket and always make sure it's in a secure holster.

What position do you wear that in? Can you sit in a vehicle without taking it off? Sit in a chair at a meeting?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sig P238 in a Galco pocket holster works very well for me.

I once thought about a Sneaky Pete but they have been so well advertised there is nothing sneaky about them any more, everyone knows what they look like, you can spot one 50 yards away.

Last edited by jnyork; 06/22/20.

[Linked Image]
R
RJY66 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by cooper57m

That looks fantastic thank you!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jnyork

I once thought about a Sneaky Pete but they have been so well advertised there is nothing sneaky about them any more, everyone knows what they look like, you can spot one 50 yards away.

Sort of like the fanny pack carry in days of yore?

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MickeyD
While the smaller pistols are generally easier to conceal it is also true that he smaller the pistol, the harder it is to master.
That being said, my daughter who has nearly zero experience with a handgun recently bought a S&W m&p shield 2.0 (a sub compact) in 9mm and is shooting it surprisingly well with just a couple of weeks of practice. I find it (as did she) to be an amazingly easy shooting gun that is very concealable with just a loose hanging t shirt and iwb holster.
I believe that the Shield is a pistol you should strongly consider.

Just took a non-shooter young lady shooting on Saturday. Zero handgun experience. Started with 22lr, Smith 41, and within one magazine she was grinning and tumbling cans. Smith 317 next and cans continued to tumble. She shot several boxes before moving up. No human-size target would be safe and the 317 is about as tiny as they come.

Of course she had no bad habits before we started... and did not know tiny handguns are a problem.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by jnyork

Sort of like the fanny pack carry in days of yore?

For women the fanny pack is better IMO because the purse is usually the perp's target...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
As someone else said, the first rule in personal protection is to have a gun. And yes there are several ways to carry a gun. You need to consider the level of risk in the area you are in. Crime rate, BLM groups, etc. Having a small handgun in your pocket that holds a few rounds may be more than adequate. If you are retired and seldom go out, I'm sure it is. Sitting at home in front of the computer, I am carrying my Ruger LCR 38 special. Pretty sure I'm save. If I went out a whole lot, and live in a highly diverse area I might want more than 5 or 6 rounds. That gives you two options. Carry a larger handgun, or carry two smaller ones. I certainly agree that if you are going to carry one in your pocket it needs to be in it's own holster, for a number of reasons that have been stated here. In the area I live the crime rate is 1/2 the national average which isn't much either, but I frequently carry more than one gun. Drugs are everywhere, I don't care where you live, and as such so are the bad guys.

For what ever reason, when I go to church I feel the urge to carry my high cap 9mm with an extra mag. Or if I go to an area that is crowded I also carry likewise. I have a fair number of personal defense guns. What's important is that what ever you carry, try to carry it in the same place every day, so you reach for the same place then the balloon goes up. I carry what ever I'm going to carry at about 3:30 under my shirt. If I'm carrying a 2nd gun it's in my left rear pocket in a Nemesis holster. I have arbitrarily set 10 as the minimum number of rounds I want to have on me at any given time, if I'm out and about. That will vary for all of us.

I carry more depending on the situation. You are on the right road to figure this out. One can certainly be discreet if they suspect danger to casually put their hand in their pocket and have a hold on the grip of your gun. Once the danger passes you can discreetly remove your hand from your pocket. See Jeff Coopers 4 levels of danger. Depending on your build and how you dress carrying on your belt isn't a problem for most of us. If you have a little roll on the side that goes along ways to concealing a gun. If you are very slender IWB might be more appropriate. The important thing is. GET SOME TRAINING, and GET A GUN YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. Then get more training. There are also a lot of good books out there, but don't confuse reading the books for training.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
RJY66 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, in Georgia you can open carry with a license. So I could strap my 45 on and go out looking like Matt Dillon and be legally fine but its a little too citified with too many little old ladies in tennis shoes running around that might panic and call the cops not knowing its legal. If some gun guys know about the sneaky pete its probably not going to be a problem unless they are the bad guy.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Interested in where this thread goes. It seems the IWB proponents all go untucked. Not everyone is an untucked kind of guy; maybe by choice, maybe by necessity. I know there are "tuckable" IWB holsters, how do these compare with pocket carry?

Hope this doesn't constitute hijacking the thread.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ive tried to get used to pocket carry but it just plain sucks compared to IWB carry for ease of access to your weapon

a compact 9 like Sig 365 , Shield , or such is easily hidden IWB under a lightweight shirt

I was one who always liked my shirts tucked , but you just need to get used to a slightly different mode of dress

its not like you will stand out from the crowd , seems like probably 80% of folks have their shirts untucked in the summer

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 06/22/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone seems to think they are going to get in a quick draw competition with a bad guy... that already has a gun in his hand... bad mindset IMO. Think about distracting him and sneaking it out.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Everyone seems to think they are going to get in a quick draw competition with a bad guy... that already has a gun in his hand... bad mindset IMO. Think about distracting him and sneaking it out.

good point but try sneaking your gun out of the pocket if you are sitting down.........

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I find the P90 scary, from a style standpoint.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
A golf or polo shirt, untucked, is all you need. I can conceal a full sized 1911 that way, and a compact gun like a Glock 26 or Glock 43 virtually disappears under such an arrangement. I carry IWB at the 4:00 position.

That said, you should avoid pocket carry. Most of the time when you need your handgun, you need it quite quickly, and you have to be able to go from a relaxed posture to having your hand properly positioned on the grip of the gun pretty near instantly. That's just not possible with pants pocket carry.

Sure, it's a lot better than nothing, but belt carry is a lot better than pocket carry. A lot better.

^^^^THIS^^^^

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a mouse gun that hides behind wallet.
I'll carry that way sometimes (rubber wallet, kinda acts like a sticky holster)
or drop the pea shooter in a little Fobus paddle.

My back is fugged so OWB for me.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/22/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever you put it in practice, practice getting it out. Standing up, sitting, bent over, on the ground and, most all, practice drawing from that position you have not thought of. That will be the one.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was actually looking at ...ccw breakaways... pants and shorts today.
Anyone on the fire use these and have a review on them?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by superlight17b
I was actually looking at ...ccw breakaways... pants and shorts today.
Anyone on the fire use these and have a review on them?

I've considered them for years, just haven't been able to justify the expense for everyday wear. I'd be changing pants all the time. Around the place here, and around town, it's Wrangler Riggs Ranger cargo pants or their shorts.

If you try them please post a review. Perhaps I might try out a pair of their cargos and hope they're as tough as the Wranglers.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.