-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends somewhat on your hunting style and the condition of your .06. Will the pre-64 cause you to protect the rifle instead of concentrate on the hunt? A week of hunting is often good for adding character (ding or scratch) to whatever I'm carrying. I love everything about how my pre-64 .06 handles and shoots but it is about 99% condition and I have other, call them 'utility', rifles that perform well so my pre-64 doesn't go along for the rough hunts.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would vote for the 30-06 and use the 178gr Hornady ELD-X ammo. I don’t reload and those work very well out of my Tikka. The other option for loaded ammunition would be the Barnes TTSX in 168gr or 180gr.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In a pinch I'd run the SGK's. Given that you have 4+mo, I probably try to get a 180 Partition load sorted out.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
...what Saddlesore said.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When you top out on some knob somewhere, heart rate 150 plus, and an elk materializes out of no where, and you have three or four seconds to shoot, you just might appreciate the extra weight of that rifle.
As far as the 30/06 goes, 458 Win has a post on here saying that the quickest kills they have seen on big bears has been with the 30/06, 270 class. 458Win forgets more about guns and hunting while he loads his rifle than most of us will ever know.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Except that when you pop out on the knob with a heavier rifle, your pulse will be 180, not 150.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d grab the rifle you’re most comfortable with shooting.

Having killed elk with two of your three choices (30-06 M70 Fwt & Kimber 7-08), I’d absolutely be packing the Kimber 7-08. For the elk hunting I do, lighter is righter.

Conditioning and footwear are more important than rifles or bullets...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Wow. Thanks for all of the replies, gents. Until Brad posted I was thinking take the 06 and 338 Fed. The Fed is a Montana.

Brad, what bullet do you like in your 7/08? Of the three, that is the most enjoyable for sure, and not much heavier than the 338 Fed.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm not Brad, but a noted gunwriter that some have read on this forum seems to like the 140 TTSX in the 7mm-08 for elk, although at the modest muzzle velocity that cartridge produces, a 140gr Partition or nearly any well-constructed bullet should work well.

The cartridge is the least expensive item in your hunt. Don't be afraid of using premium bullets.

And, as others have mentioned, well broken-in boots, good binoculars and physical conditioning are far more important than the choice between a 7mm-08 and a 30-06 (which are both excellent choices).

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Wow. Thanks for all of the replies, gents. Until Brad posted I was thinking take the 06 and 338 Fed. The Fed is a Montana.

Brad, what bullet do you like in your 7/08? Of the three, that is the most enjoyable for sure, and not much heavier than the 338 Fed.

Jeffrey, until I started racking up a good number of elk kills (and seeing a lot of elk killed by others) I was pretty hung up on cartridges and bullets, so I have a lot of sympathy for those that have limited or no experience on elk killing. I started my elk hunting with a 338 WM and 210 Partitions... I’ve now “regressed” to cartridges like the 270 and 7mm-08. I’d happily hunt elk the rest of my life with the 6.5 CM and might just do that.

To answer your specific question, I used the 150gr Ballistic Tip on a 9.5 year old bull I took with the 7-08 (6.5+ yo is what is considered “mature” here in Montana). The bullet caught him behind the onside ribs, and angled forward through the lungs and was under the offside scapula. That’s about 32” of penetration. He died more quickly than any elk I’ve ever shot.

I used the 150 NBT because my rifle shot them so well. My first choice was the 140 gr Accubond or Ballistic Tips, but my rifle didn’t especially like them. Honestly, I’d be happy with most any 140 gr bullet in the 7-08.

I’d take either your 7-08 or 338 FED (I’d load that with 180 or 200gr Ballistic Tips or Accubonds, whichever it shoots best).

7-08 Bull:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
To everyone who gave input, thank you all. The emphasis on good footwear and physical fitness is not lost on me. At 34 I’m still lean and cagey, although cardio and strength training have been part of my lifestyle lately. I know the feeling of going uphill, winded, with seemingly not enough oxygen in the blood to keep the leg muscles pumping, although I haven’t been pushed to that extreme in a little while.

Brad, the idea of the ballistic tips in the 338F never occurred to me, but I am quite interested in that idea. At this point I’m probably overthinking and I think the 180 SGK and 30/06 would do just fine, but can see the merit in a premium bullet. The 30/06 is a shooter and I have a lot of kills with it, for me anyway. Some of them crawling to get the shot. A nice rifle, but one with character and a reputation for killing.

This, like most campfire discussions, shows how much opinions and experiences can vary. What is a gun nut to do with 5 months to go to his first elk hunt. Thanks, gentlemen.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd go with a bonded bullet and not over think it.
Your guide may well tell you to shoot for the shoulder, they don't like to blood trail elk evidently, they can go a long ways if wounded.
Take that lung /heart shot and be sure of your target.
Get yourself prepared to set up quickly and get a good shot off. Many first timers just take too long to get set and shoot. You need to practice getting your breathing down after say a taxing hike in and you jump a bull. Get practice using your pack or bipod as a rest and taking a steady shot.

Good boots are really important for a mountain hunt, get them broken in early and have a spare pair to wear when yours get wet.
Have some gaiters to help you keep your legs and pants dry, no rain pants needed.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=Jeffrey At this point I’m probably overthinking and I think the 180 SGK and 30/06 would do just fine, but can see the merit in a premium bullet. The 30/06 is a shooter and I have a lot of kills with it, for me anyway. Some of them crawling to get the shot. A nice rifle, but one with character and a reputation for killing. . [/quote].

I have killed a lot of elk with the 180 gr Game King in my.06 and quite a few years ago,several with the 160 and 175 gr GK in a 7 mag until I figured out that the 7 mag only burns more powder and thumped my shoulder more than the .06 and the .06 killed them just as dead.
The only reason I switched to the 180 gr partition was I was getting low on the GK's and SPS had 180gr Partitions blems for $13/box so I bought 200 of them.

I have actually killed more elk with Sierra's 220 gr round nose loaded for my .06 at about 2500fps Doc said that with my replaced right shoulder, I needed to take care of it and not bang on it so hard. So I put a brake on the .06 and use the partitions now.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will just repeat some of the info already suggested.
Either rifle should do fine, getting the rest of your equipment might be more advantageous.
I would find a pack board of some kind because if you kill a bull you will take it out in pieces, a good meat hatchet or meat saw. Conditioning should be easy for ex marines, get your mountain legs early on and it will make things so much better for your hunt.
Break in your boots over the summer.
Elk terrain can vary alot but expect lots of downed timbered, underbrush, sliderock.Most drainages / basins have drinking water ( around here)
If you are in your 30's , you are in your prime for these hunts....good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We’re going with a guide out of Stevensville, MT. Hunt area is in unit 270.

Any reservations on shooting through shoulders with the 180 gameking?

Yes. That said, most bullets will work most of the time.

My preference would be any of several other bullets including Barnes TTSX or LRX, Nosler Partition or AccuBond, Swift A-Frame or Scirocco II or Federal's new Terminal Ascent or its predecessors. I'd even go back to a Speer Grand Slam bullet, which has dropped more elk for me than all other bullets combined.

My group has yet to recover a Barnes TTSX, LRX or Nosler AB from elk or deer. About 50% straight down DRT results with one cow going about 25 yards after being hit with a 225g AB from a .338WM at 400 yards. A 150g AB from a .30-06 went through a cow broadside and she was on the ground before I recovered from the recoil, about 280 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Got some 180 Accubonds coming for the 338 Fed and I’ll probably stick with the Gamekings in the 30/06. I’ve got a good load for the 160 TTSX but can’t seem to find any right now, so I’ll be seeing how the Accubonds do. I’ll take both rifles.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A little jealous that you are starting in your 30’s and have all the fun of elk hunting in great shape looking forward.

Your rifles will work fine but I like a premium bullets, Barnes TTSX specifically based on one BT failure & lots of Barnes successes Killing stuff & breaking bones. Likely 9 times out of 10 it makes no difference but better to avoid Murphy’s law.

I hunt public land in Colorado a couple of places border ranchers who hate public land hunters & do everything they can to keep them from recovering animals that cross the property line so I shoot a 300 Weatherby that I’m confident hitting targets to 700+ yards & elk out to 600 with no wind. We averaged about 300 yard shots mostly cross canyon so that is what we prepare for. Also a little jealous of big bulls on flat accessible ground - haven’t found that yet but heck half the fun is the challenge & adventure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good morning, y’all. I’ve got a pretty basic question that could probably be answered with a little searching on my part, but where is the fun in that?

Me and a couple of my Marine buddies are going on our first elk hunt this fall. We had one set up 3 years ago that wound up getting cancelled, so here we go for our second attempt. My problem is deciding which rifle to take and what to load it with. I have a plethora of rifles that are chambered in what suitable cartridges (according to my campfire research) but now I am second guessing my choice.

As of right now, my choice is a pre-64 Model 70 30/06 loaded with 180 grain Sierra Gamekings. I know, the rifle is heavy by today’s standards, but I figured I should give it a shot while I’m still young and still have some piss and vinegar left in the tank.

After reading the 300WM v 338 Mag thread, I’m really starting to second guess my bullet choice. My hunting experience has been limited to whitetails and pigs on the high end of the size scale, so I have no experience shooting anything heavier than about 250-300 pounds. My general philosophy has been choose a “heavier” for caliber cup and core at moderate velocity, so up to around 2900 or so tops. I’m partial to SGKs and have been happy with this approach, BUT, how foes that translate to elk? Should I ditch the cup and cores altogether?
Interestingly, I had a bullet failure this year on a nice 9 point out of my 338 Fed. Bullet was a Hornady 200 grain SP. shot was through the ribs at 220 yards. The jacket departed on impact and the core was in the offside hide.

We’ll be hunting in SW Montana. Public land. bull elk. 3rd week of November. The rifles I would consider are;

30/06 pre-64 Mod 70
338 Fed Kim 84M
7mm/08 Kim 84M

Of these, the 7mm/o8 is the most pleasing to shoot for obvious reasons, but I can and do shoot all three of these rifles just fine, regularly. I guess what would help me is, if you were to choose either of these rifles, which one and what bullet? Real experience would be greatly appreciated.

For me, it would be a toss up between the 7mm08 and 30-06. However, I'd switch bullets in your 30-06. I use gamekings in my 338, but I go heavy for caliber (meaning 250gr in the 338wm). This is general practice when considering the gameking bullet on elk. If you load your own, go with a 200gr Nosler partition. Wait for them to go on sale at SPS and you'll be good to go. If you need a good mild load that easily pokes clean through elk, shoot me a pm. I'd be glad to help you out there. I'm pretty familiar with the pre 64 model 70. As of right now, I have 2 fwt 30-06 rifles. I actually prefer these for hunting over the std wt pre 64, but a standard weight will work. If you use your 7mm08, use a good stout bullet. I believe Pharmseller here uses a 150gr Hornady ELDX for his elk hunting. That would be my choice, or a 150gr Nosler partition, if you can get it to shoot well in that Kimber. Practice quite a bit with each rifle, with the load you intend to shoot an elk with. After doing that, the decision may get easier for you, as to which one you prefer. Practice a lot of offhand and field positions, after finding that sweet load. Good luck with your elk hunt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m all over the place. I ordered some 180 Accubonds for the Federal since I couldn’t locate any 160TTSX. At any rate I’ll be shooting a bunch with all three rifles between now and then. I’m sure I’ll come up with the pecking order eventually. I’ll order some of the 200 partitions for the 06’ and something for the 7/08. Really looking forward to this trip.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Take the .06, but stuff it with 180gr Partitions and H4350 powder. A Game King at 30 yards out of an .06,might not give you the desired results/. As for the pre 64 being a might heavier, I am 76 and I still tote mine around at 10,000-11,000 feet. Surely a young marine won't have of much problem.

When you get down to the serious stuff, it doesn't make much difference what the head stamp on the cartridge is as long as you can hit what you aim at and select the appropriate bullet. Elk are not hard to kill.Those that claim they can soak up a lot of lead, more than liklely, are putting the lead in the wrong place.

Listen to this guy. He actually knows what he's talking about.

If your .338 was a real .338 WM I'd say stoke with some 200gr NBT and H4350, but the '06 with 180gr PT will take care of business.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.