Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I might be thinking of getting something for an old Browning A-bort that I've got laying around.

What's the deal with B,C.?
And/or some other inexpensive replacement stock.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
They are a little clubby(some models) but they absolutely stand behind their product.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock on my JC Higgins model 50 ( FN 98 action) 30-06. I am very happy with it. Perfect eye alignment (comb height) for scope use. Nice aluminum bedding area. Nice recoil pad. Nice build quality, and "feel" in my hands. Buttstock does not have a hollow feel. The pistol grip area feels trim and svelte to me, not clunky at all. Maybe the Medalist has different (trimmer) proportions than other models. (?).

I would not call a B&C Medalist stock "crappy" in any way. It is a well-made product, and looks good. Bought mine from stocky's stocks. I wouldn't call it a "cheap " stock. I think it was about $225 ~10 years ago. I was looking for a high-value synthetic stock, and I found it with the B&C Medalist stock.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Ive got four of their Alaskans...obviously dont consider them crappy...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
They are a little clubby(some models) but they absolutely stand behind their product.

Same experience as noted by OE.

They’re a good stock, just a smidge on the big girl side.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a few of them with the aluminum bedding block / frame, and a few McMillans and H-S Pecision.

I have no issue buying more Bell & Carlson. I like the ones on my rifles.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Well, that's all quite positive... other than being a bit chunky sounds like a solution.

Thanks gentlemen.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive got four of their Alaskans...obviously dont consider them crappy...

Me too.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I ordered one yesterday for an Abolt I inherited from my father. They make a good product. This is my third stock from them.

“Lighten up Francis”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I only have one customer service related incident dealing with B&C. I purchased a weatherby ultralight built in 2000 a few months back. that was not bedded at the lug by Weatherby.
I bedded it and not knowing my superhuman strength cracked the stock ahead of the recoil lug. I called B&C and explained what happened and they told me to send it in. I had a new replacement in 5 days as well as a handwritten note from the CEO of B&C thanking me for my honesty.

That is customer service.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found them to be a good solid stock, not much lighter than factory wood but no issues whatsoever.

If you want a lighter stock, you have to pay a lot more but you won't be getting a better stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that B&C stocks are generally pretty good, but there aren't nearly as many options as those offered by McMillan.

I particularly like the Weatherby-style Medalist for the Howa 1500 and the now discontinued stock for the Mini Mauser.

The caveat being that stocks are probably the most personal component of a long gun, since it is the interface between the human and mechanical components. The point being that a stock configuration that one guy really likes might make the next guy gag.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had one since the late '80s. It has the moulded in swivels for the sling like the old Millet stocks had and came with the nylon super sling with no aluminum bedding block. A friend brought over a new one for me to mount his Husqvarna in. His was very much slimmer compared to mine and I was impressed with it but, the Husqvarna would not fit in it without major modification. The next day he contacted them and they said the stock was for a Zestava action and to send it back. Good customer service!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don’t think there’s many options for the abolt. B&C is a nice upgrade for the money. I ordered one directly from them for a 700 yesterday

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Medalist with the aluminum chassis inside is a well made stock at a reasonable price. Because of the aluminum they are a little chunky and can't be made really light. They offer some versions in the 28-30 oz range which is pretty close to most factory stocks. Most of them are closer to 32-36 oz which is a bit heavier than factory. If putting together a rifle where weight isn't a concern, or if you have a rifle that you consider too light the heavier stock could be an advantage. I like them for certain uses.

They make some without the aluminum chassis. The original Ti stock and the Alaskan. They tend to be much little lighter and trimmer, but without the metal insert are a WEAK stock. They will snap like a dry match stick if used in harsh conditions. I'd rather stay with the factory Tupperware stock, they are a much tougher stock at about the same weight.

If you want light weight and a tough stock save your pennies and buy a McMillan Edge.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just got my first one on a Model 7 stainless and it settles in the hands well for off hand shots and fits ME like a glove.

I will probably try McMillan in the future just because I like the McSwirly patterns, but I wouldn’t hesitate to run the B&C!

Last edited by BrowningGuy88; 06/23/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The one I ordered yesterday in the dark timber color, shipped today. It showed back ordered but a one day turn around is awesome.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've put that alum bedded medalist on a weatherby and a howa. My next medalist will go on my tikka t3 lite LH ss.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m seriously considering one for a Ruger american 22-250

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I’ve got several B&C stocks and think they are the perfect size and fit. I’ve had better luck with them than the overpriced and overhyped McMillan edge fill stock.

I’ll buy a B&C again before I’ll ever buy another McMillan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,344 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.