Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Three dead in a hail of gunfire.

Charlotte Observer Logo3 dead, 11 hurt after over 100 shots fired at big crowd at outdoor Charlotte party | Charlotte Observer
SIGN IN
SUBSCRIBE

3 dead, 11 hurt after over 100 shots fired at big crowd at outdoor Charlotte party
BY MARK PRICE AND LAUREL DEPPEN
JUNE 22, 2020 05:53 AM , UPDATED JUNE 22, 2020 05:22 PM

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department investigate the aftermath of a shooting along Beatties Ford Road near Catherine Simmons Avenue during an impromptu street party on Sunday night. The incident left 3 dead and 11 injured. BY DAVID T. FOSTER III

Three people were killed and at least 11 hurt early Monday after a multi-day street party erupted in lots of gunfire in northwest Charlotte, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police.

Five of the injured people were struck by cars as they began scrambling across streets away from the chaotic scene, police said. Three of the people who were injured are fighting for their lives, police said.

There have been no arrests, no suspects and no indication of a motive for the killings yet.

At a news conference Monday, investigators said that as many as 400 people were attending the celebration at the time, and at least 100 rounds were fired into the crowd. No CMPD officers fired their weapons, officials said.

The three people who died were identified by CMPD as Kelly Miller, 29, Christopher Antonio Gleaton, 28, and Jamaa Keon Cassell, 39.

“It was a very, very chaotic scene,” Deputy Chief Gerald Smith said at the news conference. “This was a mass casualty incident.”

He lamented that no witnesses had come forward yet, saying, “400 people in one spot, we have not one witness.” Smith said, and urged people to provide police with information about the shooting.

Keith Bailey told the Observer he was at his home a few blocks away when he heard bursts of gunfire.

“It was kind of like a little war,” said Bailey, who served in the U.S. Army from 1979 to 1984, and saw combat in Grenada.

“It sounded like it was when I was back in the service,” Bailey said. “When you hear gunfire like that, it’s kind of scary.”

Investigators say there is evidence “several different caliber weapons” were fired simultaneously, indicating more than one person was shooting. It was not clear who they were targeting or why they started shooting, Smith said.

Jennings described the outdoor event as a multi-day “impromptu block party” for Juneteenth that had been running off-and-on since Friday.

The official Juneteenth celebration included a March through the neighborhood Friday but continued in several unofficial celebrations throughout the weekend, Smith said.

Juneteenth celebrates the events of June 19, 1865, when the last of the nation’s enslaved people learned they had been set free by the Emancipation Proclamation.

Witnesses told WBTV the neighborhood’s Juneteenth affair had been “a happy, peaceful celebration” prior to the violence. Street racing and drivers “doing donuts in the road” had been part of the celebration, witnesses told the station.

A CHAOTIC SCENE
The incident began around 12:30 a.m. in the 1800 block of Beatties Ford Road, police said, near Catherine Simmons Avenue. The area runs parallel to Lincoln Heights Neighborhood Park.

Police were called to the area in connection with a pedestrian struck by a vehicle shortly after midnight, CMPD Deputy Chief Johnny Jennings told news outlets at the scene. As officers were responding, they heard gunshots, police said.

Soon after, police said, they found a woman with a gunshot wound lying on Beatties Ford Road. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene by Medic, CMPD said.

Five people showed up at local hospitals and said they had been struck by vehicles, CMPD said. Police believe one of those people was the original victim that officers were responding to, and the other four were also struck by fleeing vehicles.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
on a related note, none of the victims will need to call off work.

My diploma is a DD214
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Air drop Ammo and AR's into the area.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A little less welfare going out!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mogadishu here we come!

Just need some jeeps and mounted machine guns.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Notice how they hide the fact that this was a Juneteenth party.
This story has been buried by the news. It was not mentioned on ABC Evening News last night. It didn't even make the tv news here in Asheville NC, a hundred twenty miles away.

Imagine if there were a midnight MAGA rally and you had 3 dead, 11 injured, a hundred shots fired from multiple gunmen.
It would be the lead story on all the networks.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They are totally incapable of acting in a civil, peaceful manner. Even a damn funeral often turns to a shooting.
But, it's all the police's fault

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hood rats in a housing project???

They aint got nothing else to do except for paaaaaaartaying and breeding.
Surely they werent worried about going to work monday morning or doing summer trigonometry classes online to graduate college early and join the work force as soon as they can.....

Weekend long party and not a single witness outta 400 people.

Go figure....

If it was white crackers maybe that did the shooting, betcha witnesses would be pushing each other outta the way to get in front of a camera and tell their story to the media and the Po- Po.

JMO.......

Last edited by renegade50; 06/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont know who wrote that article that the OP posted, but they need to get their facts straight....

The 'Emancipation Proclamation' speech was made by Lincoln on Jan 1, 1863 and it did not free the slaves. It was just a speech, nothing more.

Juneteenth was started in Texas. June 19, 1865 is the day that a Union general announced, in Texas, that the Lee had surrender on April 9, 1865, and he (the union general) declared the war had ended and the slaves were free. But it wasn't true. All states still had legal slavery until the 2nd 13th amendment to the Constitution was ratified on Dec. 6, 1865, approximately 6 months after the generals announcement. Also, Lee's surrender did not end the civil war..... the fighting, for the most part, stopped, but some of the South's armies were still fighting. The Civil War was not 'officially' over until August of 1866, although there had been no fighting for months.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Mogadishu here we come!

Just need some jeeps and mounted machine guns.

Call in the Rat Patrol!

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Damn it! 6/19 is not a bad holiday date. Need one or more in late July and August too. And October. Especially October.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why did the cops even respond ?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Driving thru Charlotte is a deadly enough experience, not recommended for the faint of heart.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Driving thru Charlotte is a deadly enough experience, not recommended for the faint of heart.
I avoid Charlotte like the plaque. I'll drive 100miles out of the way.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KenMi
They are totally incapable of acting in a civil, peaceful manner. Even a damn funeral often turns to a shooting.

The hood about 45 minutes away from me has a drive through funeral home. After ol Ray,Ray gets shot they roll the casket up in front of a drive through window for the homies to drive through po out a little liquor, yell and carry on a bit in hood fashion and then it’s off to Popeyes all without ever having to getting out of the “Cadillac truck”

Black lives matter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
100 rounds fired, and only 14 hurt?

Either it's BS, or we have less to fear than some people think.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I avoid Charlotte like the plaque. I'll drive 100miles out of the way.....

I had a few trucking episodes that required me to go Charlotte to Atlanta back to Charlotte then Atlanta before I finally got headed north. My black tolerance was maxed out on those trips. Had enough of it to form opinions.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by KenMi

The hood about 45 minutes away from me has a drive through funeral home. After ol Ray,Ray gets shot they roll the casket up in front of a drive through window for the homies to drive through po out a little liquor, yell and carry on a bit in hood fashion and then it’s off to Popeyes all without ever having to getting out of the “Cadillac truck”

Black lives matter

Hah! There used to be a drive thru in the burg about 25min from me. I'd tell some folks about it and they'd tell me I was full of chit.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's crazy. Hadn't heard about that cultural particularly.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.