Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I watched the movie again last night and still have some questions for you hard core fans.

Early in the movie, Ramius meets with the Soviet political officer. Ramius asks "how many KGB agents are aboard". P.O. tells him "I'd be the last to know". Is that foreshadowing?

Next Ramius stages the PO's death, and has the ships doctor and a cook witness him taking the nuke key from the PO.

Ramius obviously has a plan to stage a "nuclear accident" to evacuate the crew.

I am still unsure which events were planned by Ramius and defecting officers and what the cook does.

- Is the cook a KGB agent put aboard? Is he just a nobody worried Ramius will attack the US?

- The first meltdown of the caterpillar drive. Was that staged by Ramius or sabotage?

- Radiation "accident" Ramius and Officers, or saboteur?

- Cook seemed to be very handy with a pistol at the end and somehow knew how to "hot-wire" the missiles. KGB?

Your take?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
s the cook a KGB agent put aboard? Is he just a nobody worried Ramius will attack the US? No, just a die hard commie

- The first meltdown of the caterpillar drive. Was that staged by Ramius or sabotage? Sabotooge

- Radiation "accident" Ramius and Officers, or saboteur? sabotoogee

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Huh?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coast to coast...No papers...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have read only the initial post, so I am not cheating, but I will bet that it takes no time at all for someone to jump in with a denunciation of Baldwin's politics.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
It's kind of implausible. A Soviet spy satellite would have found the sub hidden in Maine very soon after that. The Russians would have called that an act of war.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have read only the initial post, so I am not cheating, but I will bet that it takes no time at all for someone to jump in with a denunciation of Baldwin's politics.

Another good reason to read the book (in addition to Hatari's questions)
Clancy's research and level of detail included were fantastic.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read the book. No not a smart assed response.

Tom Clancy's singly authored books are a maze of information and interrelationships that are never properly dealt with in a movie script. If they were you'd end up with a 6 hour mini series. Especially when making an action driven summer blockbuster movie.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The book is better!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
It's kind of implausible. A Soviet spy satellite would have found the sub hidden in Maine very soon after that. The Russians would have called that an act of war.

You'll like reading upon this:

GSF Explorer, formerly USNS Hughes Glomar Explorer (T-AG-193), was a deep-sea drillship platform built for Project Azorian, the secret 1974 effort by the United States Central Intelligence Agency's Special Activities Division to recover the Soviet submarine K-129.[3][4]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cook was a KGB agent. Answers first and last question.

Radiation issues were falsified by Ramius as excuse to get his men off the boat.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Radiation issues were falsified by Ramius as excuse to get his men off the boat.

The book IS really much better, lest someone else take offense at humor...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Read the book. No not a smart assed response.

Tom Clancy's singly authored books are a maze of information and interrelationships that are never properly dealt with in a movie script. If they were you'd end up with a 6 hour mini series. Especially when making an action driven summer blockbuster movie.

Truth !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Reading, the forgotten leisure interest !

Shame really.

* another instant gratification, i want/need it now error in judgement by todays society

Last edited by New_2_99s; 06/23/20. Reason: *

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I cannot think of a case where the book was not better than the movie, but I still enjoy watching the movies to see how they depict what was written. One of the worst cases of "movie alteration" was with The Naked and the Dead, where the wrong deaths occurred. Also related to this is illustrators (especially of paperback covers) who do not bother to read the book before doing their drawing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I did read the book once upon a time, and enjoyed it. It does jump around from one scene to the next and doesn't all come togther until the climax. You go from Ryan to Dallas, to Red October to Sec of State each chapter as I recall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I cannot think of a case where the book was not better than the movie,
I think the Godfather I & II gave it a good run..

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Book was great but the movie was thin and just mediocre. Cook was KGB and the radiation incident staged to get the crew to get off the ship. If this was real and the Soviets had discovered the Red October sometime later by satellite in Maine they would have never acknowledged the discovery due to the humiliation and embarrassment it would cause the Soviet Union and the Party.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the whole movie is a cheese game.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

IIRC, in the book, they "hid" the Red October in Chesapeake Bay, not in Maine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
206 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.