Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
A lot of species from Africa are easily agitated.

Seems so

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We see the remedy!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll continue to buy local raw honey and leave the beekeeping to those that enjoy it. That was a very interesting video though and that gentleman seems like a responsible, knowledgeable beekeeper.

Thanks for the video. It’s likely something I never would’ve watched but I’m glad I did because now I’ll have 1 more reason to buy Dawn dish soap. 😁. That stuff does almost everything.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by GeoW
We see the remedy!

g

Soap and water? 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ll continue to buy local raw honey and leave the beekeeping to those that enjoy it. That was a very interesting video though and that gentleman seems like a responsible, knowledgeable beekeeper.

Thanks for the video. It’s likely something I never would’ve watched but I’m glad I did because now I’ll have 1 more reason to buy Dawn dish soap. 😁. That stuff does almost everything.

I agree. I try buy local honey every time. If I still had the acreage, I’d take it up as a hobby myself. Very interesting video.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I am a real bee newby but he has a very pronounced anxiety that the bees can read. He is uncertain around them and he approaches them like adversaries. Bees are wild but are guided by our interactions by them. It is a very hot hive but the fact that he is just using a bee jacket and is ham fisted is a mystery to me. I think he actually hams it up a bit and acts a bit so that those bees are mad as hell. How do you lose your queen during a check off of a frame on to the ground? He has lots of views and I think that he wanted to crank up the view count by taking an aggressive hive of bees and making them respond.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i wonder if yogi bear could handle that hive

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Could you tell they were Africanized by their BLM signs on the hive?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Hey, believe it or not, dish soap and water in a spray bottle is at least as effective as Raid or similar products, without the worry of poison contamination in your house. A solid squirt with soap water puts most insects down for the count. Spiders seem resistant to it, but insects simply cannot breath once covered in soapy water, and soon spasm and die. It's all I use in the house for killing bugs.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am a real bee newby but he has a very pronounced anxiety that the bees can read. He is uncertain around them and he approaches them like adversaries. Bees are wild but are guided by our interactions by them. It is a very hot hive but the fact that he is just using a bee jacket and is ham fisted is a mystery to me. I think he actually hams it up a bit and acts a bit so that those bees are mad as hell. How do you lose your queen during a check off of a frame on to the ground? He has lots of views and I think that he wanted to crank up the view count by taking an aggressive hive of bees and making them respond.

You've never been around Africanized bees have you?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by longarm
I watched part of this last night as well. Was struck by how many basic beekeeping practices that fellow seemed to be screwing up.

Educate us please.

You bet. However please note I have only been a beekeep for ~20 years, I'm betting there are guys on this forum who have kept bees much longer than that.

Guy opens hive then proceeds to BS the camera for 10 minutes.

Lights smoker, then hardly uses it. Places the HOT smoker directly on top of frames full of bees, burning those beneath it.

Has 2 different types of gloves.. ONE of which the bees are attacking, but he's not smart enough to get beekeeping gloves and get rid of the one they dislike so much. Instead he smashes the bees on his gloved hand both with his other hand and his hive tool. Bees absolutely smell their own being destroyed.

Has isolated his queen above the queen excluder, preventing her from laying in the brood chamber below. A serious dumbass move.

Very poor handling of the boxes again crushing many more bees.

Should I keep going? He was way more interested in making a video than he was doing any genuine beekeeping.
And for what it's worth I've seen hives that were way, way hotter than that. Great producers.
He wasted a tremendous resource by killing that hive.

Last edited by longarm; 06/23/20. Reason: Typo
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

They wouldn’t make their own honey but kept stealing it from the European bee’s hives. The hive box was getting trashed, plus they kept trying to mate with the Europeanized queens. The resulting offspring was really bringing down the other hives’ productivity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have used dry ice on top and closed it all off. Less messy.

Carpe' Scrotum
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I watched part of this last night as well. Was struck by how many basic beekeeping practices that fellow seemed to be screwing up.

Educate us please.

You bet. However please note I have only been a beekeep for ~20 years, I'm betting there are guys on this forum who have kept bees much longer than that.

Guy opens hive then proceeds to BS the camera for 10 minutes.

Lights smoker, then hardly uses it. Places the HOT smoker directly on top of frames full of bees, burning those beneath it.

Has 2 different types of gloves.. ONE of which the bees are attacking, but he's not smart enough to get beekeeping gloves and get rid of the one they dislike so much. Instead he smashes the bees on his gloved hand both with his other hand and his hive tool. Bees absolutely smell their own being destroyed.

Has isolated his queen above the queen excluder, preventing her from laying in the brood chamber below. A serious dumbass move.

Very poor handling of the boxes again crushing many more bees.

Should I keep going? He was way more interested in making a video than he was doing any genuine beekeeping.
And for what it's worth I've seen hives that were way, way hotter than that. Great producers.
He wasted a tremendous resource by killing that hive.

Thank you!

What should he have done with the hive?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He could have moved it if he had a place to do so. Then re-queen with a mated queen. But I get him not wanting the genetics around (drones).

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

They wouldn’t make their own honey but kept stealing it from the European bee’s hives. The hive box was getting trashed, plus they kept trying to mate with the Europeanized queens. The resulting offspring was really bringing down the other hives’ productivity.

laugh

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steve
He could have moved it if he had a place to do so. Then re-queen with a mated queen. But I get him not wanting the genetics around (drones).

Yup.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Steve, how are your hives doing this season? All good here in the valley, will be pulling supers in 2 weeks. Cut comb and extracted both. Hope you are stacking them up too

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

laugh

I keep bees as a hobby. My bees start acting like that, they'll get the treatment and it won't bee purty....

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by kaboku68

You've never been around Africanized bees have you?

Most responding here haven't.

But you knew that... grin

I'm one of the relatively ignorant myself. But I have friends in the business!!

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.