Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1minute Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got it done just before the first day of summer. Tamarack split and stacked in the shed plus a little extra off to the right. Five 15 inch layers in the shed and we typically use about 3 and 1/2 of those. Chopping blocks should be good for about a month if we run short. Had a pack rat invade the shed last winter, so there's a Victor snap trap hanging there on the left shed post just above the roll of wire. If he/she shows up again, I'll be on it like stick on a skunk

That is just sage brush and western juniper in the background. Have to go about 40 miles for tamarack, but it's worth it due to its cutting a splitting ease.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

There's just a little more extra stacked beside the shed. Going to quit measuring in cords and switch to acres. I think I have about 5 seasons worth in that pile. If the back goes out, I'll have a few seasons before I have to vacate the premises. The two right most layers are ponderosa pine and reserved as Cookie's campfire wood. Tamarack is great stove wood, but unsuitable for fire places and campfires due to its popping and cracking that launches firebrands for several feet.

We can cut standing dead (ponderosa and lodge pole pine, grand fir, Doug fir, or tamarack in the forest) or western juniper on the more arid BLM (that's Bureau of Land Management) lands. One spends about 30 minutes limbing a juniper though and then gets about 5 rounds out of the remaining trunk. A fee of $5.00 per cord with I think a family limit of 12 per year. Commercial permits cost about the same but with unlimited opportunity. Overheard our largest commercial guy a few months ago as he was taking a phone order. His assurance to the guy making the order was that he does about $500,000 in business a year.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

After I clean out the Blaze King, it'll be time to exercise the fly rods.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 06/23/20.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You’re set !!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
love tamarack for wood stove. Yep the ponderosa works good for cooking

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I remember visiting my great uncle/aunt in the summers when very young. We'd see him for about 5 minutes and he spent the rest of the time cutting wood.

They used wood for everything, cooking and heating.

I hate summer.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My back hurts looking at that.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That’s a lot of wood!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm not quite there yet....LOL

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Wood you like to see my splinter group? How do they stack up? Log in and post cutting remarks that don’t go against the grain. Please buck me up. Don't pile on and bark at me, or I will get a splitting headache.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wildhobbybobby:

Lots of stuff there that I'd leave in the woods. Any odd shapes or sizes that screw up the stack get left. Neighbor's wife, however, brings everything in including the face cut wedges and any large knots we knock off. For Christmas last year I got her a nice foxtail brush and dust pan so she could sweep the sawdust from the forest floor. Looks good there. We're a bit short on hardwoods in this area.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/23/20.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Wood you like to see my splinter group? How do they stack up? Log in and post cutting remarks that don’t go against the grain. Please buck me up. Don't pile on and bark at me, or I will get a splitting headache.

I'm stumped on what to say. Log jam.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That takes me back a bit.

Used to do roughly 10 cords of birch per year, one year in advance.

I miss it, but not the aches !

Went to propane 9 years ago, when we bought our own business.

In fact, when we moved in January, I left behind 2-3 very well seasoned cords of mixed campfire wood - birch, tamarack & a little black ash, as I could not get it out of storage, due to the sugar snow in the yard.

Hard, but rewarding & "essential" work for the old school, rural crowd.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Beautiful wood.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Been helping a buddy split a bunch of maple every Saturday for the last few weeks. We've done about 4 full cords so far and have enough wood for 20 more.

The smallest pieces we're handling are the size of the biggest ones in your first pic. Damn, it's heavy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good looking wood piles of tamarack 1minute; dad always referred to them as western larch while growing up just north of you. Definitely the choice burn for wood stoves (and stays for range fencing).

Nice to see some good sized rounds as well. It seems like finding big standing dead tamarack on the Mal-whore NF has become a challenge between commercial cutters and restricted cutting areas on the NF. Always enjoyed September wood cutting....usually good for a few grouse on the side in the Blue Mtns.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The smallest pieces we're handling are the size of the biggest ones in your first pic.

If one is going larger than the chopping blocks he's getting into serious wood. At 73 yrs, rounds like that are getting a bit difficult to throw around.

Stay cool,

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got mine in @ 4 cord of aspen, spruce & ponderosa. I'm going to get 1 more load for insurance. Feels good to have it done before the 4th of July.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have all wood piles stacked up. I am in the NC mountains and I have white oak, locust, and ash with a little black walnut.
I love to cut and stack firewood, it just makes me feel good.

This is my backup wood pile in the carport. Sixteen feet long and four feet high, two stacks side by side. My wood shed holds twice this much.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm so glad I don't burn wood anymore!

I have a lot more time to do other stuff but I do miss the wood heat.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, I'm with you on both counts Paul !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

We love to burn our Norwegian wood stove. It really gets a workout.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,151
Posts18,465,027
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.