Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
These plants were obviously planted by me because they are growing in the bed where I plant various garlic/nions.

They started rally growing last fall and had "heavy" garlic type leaves and grew all winter, even through temps down to about 10 degrees Fahrenheit.

They continued to grow with leaves like an garlic/onion but flattened and about 3/4 - 1" wide.
Recently the main stock shot up to about 4-5' a bud formed and now there is a light purple "flower" varying from plant to plant, but about 1.5 - 3" on diameter.
I say diameter because the "flower" is mostly round.

Seems like I remember "Blooming Onions" ( not the Outback cooked kind which variations is all that my google fu can find) from my past, but they were knee high at best.

Am I suffering from heat and HUMIDITY or does someone have any ideas.

Also seems like each part of the blooming onion "flower" was actually a miniature onion and would grow if planted.

Sunstroke???
Whatzit???

Last edited by LouisB; 06/23/20. Reason: corrections

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Pics would be very helpful.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds most likely like an onion gone to seed.

Pics would definitely help.

With the flattened leaves, could possibly be garlic, but I've never seen a flower stalk get that tall on garlic.

All else fails, dig one up and see what's down there.

If their onion, let them go to seed, then you can plant them to get starts.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also seems like each part of the blooming onion "flower" was actually a miniature onion and would grow if planted.

Is this what you are talking about? walking onion miles

Last edited by milespatton; 06/24/20. Reason: forgot quote

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by milespatton

Is this what you are talking about? walking onion miles

well crap, I never saw that sentence. Was that what Louis edited.

Louis, if they are walking onions (Egyptian onions to some) you'll never run out of onion again. They're not like slicers for burgers and such, but they are prolific.

Does anyone need some? I have hundreds and they are trying to take over. Will survive cold winters, as in well below 0F.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
My wife was smarter and use "Flowering" rather than blooming to avoid all of the links to the prepared onion dish.
Also used Garlic instead of onion . . .
Now let's go up in responses and see what was discovered here!

Have pics in the camera, now to migrate them to this site is the issue!

Last edited by LouisB; 06/25/20.

~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone need some? I have hundreds and they are trying to take over. Will survive cold winters, as in well below 0F.

I tried to raise them a few years back but had little luck with them. Strange as wild onion and garlic do well here and are a big nuisance. I have a lot of volunteer pecan trees too, but have had trouble getting grafting seedlings to grow. I have tried grafting my volunteers with no success. All of my pecan seedlings have their background in Stuart pecans and I still have some of the old trees that my Grandfather had, but the wind took down the pollinator long ago. Every once in a while one makes a tree with usable pecans, but not often. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Maybe they are ramps, which grow wild in your area of the country. https://www.wildedible.com/blog/foraging-ramps

They have a strong onion/garlic smell and taste and are a delicacy in some parts of the South,
In SW VA there is a ramps festival where various dishes with ramps are presented and sampled. Squirrel Brains and Ramps are one favorite and my father used to swear by the taste and healthful properties of that vile tshit.

L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
We are way too far west for Ramps. they are fairly short and these are shoulder high.
Got the pics, now just have to figure out how to post them!

~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LouisB
We are way too far west for Ramps. they are fairly short and these are shoulder high.
Got the pics, now just have to figure out how to post them!

Louis,

do they look like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

if so, you have walking onions, sometimes called Egyptian onions. There are some whole plants visible in the next bed.

In it is contentment

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's elephant garlic gone to bloom. Your description fits it to a tee. I have it in my garden as well and let it go to flower just because the bees like it so much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
It's elephant garlic gone to bloom. Your description fits it to a tee. I have it in my garden as well and let it go to flower just because the bees like it so much.

Aha,

I missed the flattened leaves in the OP.

The walking onions have round leaves.

Interesting this year, in that some of them not only have the bulblets, but another shoot is starting out past them and there is a typical allium (onion) type flower. I've been growing these for darn near 10 years and never seen that before.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/12/20.

In it is contentment

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.