I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Ok help me
I have a Palemetto lower and complete lower kit
Do I buy and upper and stock to finish for another ar or just go buy a complete one while I still can
Thanks

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Too many variables. If you find a complete rifle you like you might be money ahead but I like to build mine so i don't mind spending a few more dollars. If I get back to work with a little more regularity I think I might venture into something with a free floated barrel. But, to each their own. You have to let us know what you want one for and what are your expectations of accuracy. How handy do you want it to be ? Short barrel ? 16" ? 20" ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by IA_fog
Ok help me
I have a Palemetto lower and complete lower kit
Do I buy and upper and stock to finish for another ar or just go buy a complete one while I still can
Thanks

Yes and yes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a trigger snob, so I would buy a quality match trigger for that lower, and get a quality name complete upper.
I was looking to do that myself, but it is very hard to find uppers now.
My desire was a complete BCM upper, but I can't find one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
Too many variables. If you find a complete rifle you like you might be money ahead but I like to build mine so i don't mind spending a few more dollars. If I get back to work with a little more regularity I think I might venture into something with a free floated barrel. But, to each their own. You have to let us know what you want one for and what are your expectations of accuracy. How handy do you want it to be ? Short barrel ? 16" ? 20" ?

kwg

Good post. Im always looking at the gunshops in my area. Sometimes you get lucky and find the exact rifle you are looking for. Add up the sum of parts on that rifle and if they equal way more than the asking price, you found yourself a deal. For the op case, id probably just build an upper, if complete uppers are hard to find right now.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I’m just wanting a short sh__ hit the fan truck gun
I have a varmint ar and not really and ar fan for hunting just thinking out loud while I can still get one. Might be useful trading material in future as well
I prefer my 25-06 for anything bigger than a fox ,,,reach out and touch it

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Get a good base model & rat hole your lower. Having a decent rifle, annnd a spare lower is never a bad thing come election time.

Use the new one & decide if you'd want changes & save that info to gather upgraded parts for the stashed lower.

I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Is the Smith Wesson MP a decent one?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

That depends.

How much are you looking to spend, and how do you plan to use it?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, I believe Stag Arms was building them or they used Stag parts? Not sure if this is still the case?

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am not an AR expert,but I do own a bare bones DPMS, with a 1x4 scope. I reload for it, and it consistently shoot 3/4" to 1" 100 yd groups. The factory trigger is not great, and I plan on switching it out sometime. I have had it for about 10 years and for $500, it has been hard to beat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by atse
I am not an AR expert,but I do own a bare bones DPMS, with a 1x4 scope. I reload for it, and it consistently shoot 3/4" to 1" 100 yd groups. The factory trigger is not great, and I plan on switching it out sometime. I have had it for about 10 years and for $500, it has been hard to beat.

Recently i saw a complete DPMS rifle at a lgs for $500

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what you want.
Good enough accuracy to hit what's needed at 300 yrs?
One that most likely will function fine. For... up to...1000 rounds. More or less?
Trigger that works, but you can deal with it sucking?
You DGAF about impressing people?

Buy a Palmetto or other cheap brand. upper/lower. Or lower kit for yours.
No way you can build it for the money.

Want great accuracy?
Want military+ dependability? (Of course, every gun is an example of one)
Want top notch parts?
Want to be able to say, "I Built it"?

Build it. You can build cheaper than the premium brands.

Pride of ownership is very important?
You have to buy the top brands. (This topic pisses some off. Mostly because they
don't want to be accused of high mindedness. That's their problem, or not. But to
many it's real. If you won't be happy with less than the "Best" buy it."

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Buying or building right now is getting difficult. Low budget ARs have really increased in price, parts for building are becoming increasingly short supplied...compare todays PSAs kit prices to where they were 60 days ago.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Lennie
Buying or building right now is getting difficult. Low budget ARs have really increased in price, parts for building are becoming increasingly short supplied...compare todays PSAs kit prices to where they were 60 days ago.

That does suck that prices are going up on parts kits. Here locally, I've found 3 good AR's for $500.00 each. One a barely used Ruger 556, the other the DPMS I mentioned previously and the other a Delton. I wound't touch the Delton, but the Ruger is probably a good buy for a complete rifle.. I'm still not seeing where "low budget" AR'S "have really increased in price". I might be looking in the wrong places though..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m just wanting a short sh__ hit the fan truck gun
I have a varmint ar and not really and ar fan for hunting just thinking out loud while I can still get one. Might be useful trading material in future as well
I prefer my 25-06 for anything bigger than a fox ,,,reach out and touch it

Fixed iron sights or a scope ?? The Smith may be your rifle if you can get the right sights. Only you can decide what the right sights are. Look at a mid length Springfield Saint while you are looking at the Smith. Compare them. I prefer a mid length but I do have some carbine length rifles.

If it's a truck gun and you plan on leaving it in your truck get one cheap enough so when it gets stolen you can take the hit.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 06/28/20.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lennie

If you are looking at PSA, their prices are going up weekly. Three weeks ago, a stripped lower was $49.99, today the same one is $69.99 on their website. I can actually buy them locally now for cheaper than buying them through PSA. I'm not seeing a huge price increase anywhere else, but PSA. Yeah, they are going up a little and are in short supply on many websites and stores, but no huge increases like I'm seeing through PSA for the most part.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Building is easy, and you get exactly what you want without buying parts twice. Though it really depends on the use, a range queen, and hunting only, function is not as critical. For a two legged critter rig I would only go with Colt, LMT, or BCM if I was to buy a complete gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.