Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm sure many hunt different types of game, but what do you see yourself as? Growing up in Michigan, I've always considered myself a "North Woods" hunter. By that, I mean whitetail, black bear, moose. Other types (not all are listed) can be Western Plains, Mountain, Alaskan Dangerous Game, Varmint, African, etc.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Until I started hitting Internet forums, I really did not have an idea of there being a distinction. I'm from Ohio, and I realized after a time hunting in Indiana that "Buckeyes" were not welcome. We had a reputation for random slaughter, poaching, road hunting and so on. I caught the cue and moved my hunting out of SE Indiana. I ended up doing most of my hunting in Kentucky for the past 30 years, and I can't say as I resemble the stereotyped KY hunter either. Folks in Ohio and Indiana think we're a bunch wild-shooting booger-eating morons. The former comes from the distinction that, up until a very few years ago, Kentucky was the only state in the area that allowed centerfire rifles for deer season. That's pretty much why I went to KY-- they allowed Sunday hunting and allowed me to hunt deer with a 30-06.

If you have to classify me in any way meaningfully, you'd probably pick on the fact that I've done 99% of my hunting in the Ohio Valley, for the past 20 years, exclusively in the northern Trans-Bluegrass, between the Licking and Ohio. Next, you would probably zero in on my propensity for choosing sitting over walking. Everyone in our camp hunts out of a stand or blind. I still don't know if that qualifies as a "kind." If there's any set designation for me, I don't know it.

When I started writing, "The Deer Doctor" and "The Deer Professor" were already taken. I finally settled on "The Cervid Serial Killer." To quote my weblog:

I plot and plan my next victim all Winter long. I stalk them throughout the Summer. Just seeing them gives me a thrill. Then, when the Fall comes, I go out and shoot them. I disembowel my victims. I take trophies, I feast on their flesh. I take pictures and hang them on my wall, to help remind me of my past episodes.

When I can, I get together with like-minded cervid serial killers, and we boast of our past episodes and plot and plan future forays. I frequent websites and chatrooms that service my needs to share my experiences. I even buy magazines that glorify my lifestyle. I do all this to satisfy some ineffable feeling that keeps driving me on incessantly. I am indoctrinating my children into this lifestyle and encouraging my friends and family to join me in consuming the flesh of my victims.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm an OLD hunter. I'm still in pretty good shape at 71 but my 2 long time partners, 75 and 74, are about to the end. Over the years I've got truck loads of deer, a bunch of elk, a couple antelope and my moose (1 bull in a lifetime in Idaho) but I still haven't got my wolf.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm a hunter who is constantly learning more and more, and appreciating more and more.

Mostly I hunt mule deer and upland birds. Mostly here in Washington. Have made several trips to Wyoming over the past 20 years and I appreciate the wonderful hunting opportunities there.

Seems like even in my 60's, I'm always learning something new about game, habitat, and all that. Have been doing more "hunting" with my camera in recent years too. The season never ends, no tags are required, and the pack-out is a LOT easier.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frustrated. I see every year the Idaho Department of Money (Fish and Game) pigeon holing hunters into smaller and smaller areas, time slots, draw hunts and pick your weapon type of mentality. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm as old as I am and got to enjoy as much hunting as I did before they 'fixed it'.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm an OLD hunter. I'm still in pretty good shape at 71 but my 2 long time partners, 75 and 74, are about to the end. Over the years I've got truck loads of deer, a bunch of elk, a couple antelope and my moose (1 bull in a lifetime in Idaho) but I still haven't got my wolf.

MY thoughts also. SUCCESSFUL AND OLD. Not in the 70's yet.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Frustrated. I see every year the Idaho Department of Money (Fish and Game) pigeon holing hunters into smaller and smaller areas, time slots, draw hunts and pick your weapon type of mentality. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm as old as I am and got to enjoy as much hunting as I did before they 'fixed it'.

My good friend and neighbor, O.T. was telling me how it used to be in the old days around here. He'd leave the house and start hunting in a particular direction and wouldn't stop until nightfall. His father had been the same way only moreso. It was nothing for them walk 12-15 miles going after rabbit grouse, quail-- whatever. They'd get over to the other end of the county and look for an extended family member to drive them home or sleep in a barn and go back the next day. He never worried about property lines; he was related to nearly every landowner in some way or another, and nobody cared besides. O.T. died 5 years go.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by centershot

My good friend and neighbor, O.T. was telling me how it used to be in the old days around here. He'd leave the house and start hunting in a particular direction and wouldn't stop until nightfall. His father had been the same way only moreso. It was nothing for them walk 12-15 miles going after rabbit grouse, quail-- whatever. They'd get over to the other end of the county and look for an extended family member to drive them home or sleep in a barn and go back the next day. He never worried about property lines; he was related to nearly every landowner in some way or another, and nobody cared besides. O.T. died 5 years go.

when i was a youth that`s how it was hunt when and where ever you wanted to hunt because i lived in the country,we took our squirrel rifles on the bus to school and left them at the principals office tell school was out and then walked home thru the country huntin squirrels and maybe a grouse,next day principal wanted to know how hunting went . i was asked once if i protested the Viet Nam war ever in school i said nope to busy working,fishing,hunting and sneakin a few beers with some country friends. my son was lucky i knew all the neighbors all were either relatives or friends so son grew up just enjoying life as a youth as i did except schools did not allow guns in no more dang liberals !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Big game hunter, preferably on a big tract of land where I can get away from others not in my party.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a sheep hunter, firstly. I hunt the rest of the species here also( elk, moose, goat, deer species) most of the seasons run concurrently...so I concentrate on Bighorns. Wearing out saddle and bootleather. Not really interested in hunting valley bottoms .After sheep, mule deer, goats and elk in that order, not much interested in Whitetailed deer hunting.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Subsistence. Axis deer, feral goats n pigs.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Big game hunter, preferably on a big tract of land where I can get away from others not in my party.

Smoke hit it for me. I like space even if its whitetail back east, elk out west, bears up north - about anything. I like space and options.

That said, I break my year into several parts. In October, I chase elk in CO/WY. Come November I start chasing whitetail in TN and PA, with a couple days of black bears thrown in. In spring, I chase turkeys in TN/PA. Suffice to say, I consider myself an elk/deer/bear/turkey hunter. If forced to choose, I'd likely give up everything else to chase elk.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess I am an opportunity hunter, the more opportunities the better. I just like being in wide open spaces and the mountains. I don't care much for being in the thick woods or dense brush. Predator hunting in the winter is probably my favorite now, lots of solitude and good tracking.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My family are efficient meat hunters, processors & consumers !

Fish, small game, upland birds, whitetail deer, bear (list used to include moose, but not since the greatly reduced tag numbers) are our major source of protein.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m a western hunter who doesn’t subscribe to the conventional way of thinking. These days most people are under the impression that to find a big mule deer, elk, or antelope that you need to be as far from the road as you can be. Big critters don’t wear pedometers. They get in where they fit in. I position myself between the guys cruising the roads, and the guys who have packed way back into the head of every drainage. Most times it’s only about a half hour walk in the dark to get to my spot in the morning. I’ve found and hunted some incredible trophies using this strategy. And I’m not sleeping on a frozen mountain side, eating mountain house out of a pouch. I stay in my camper, eat a good breakfast. And get a good dinner and a shower every night.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I’m a western hunter who doesn’t subscribe to the conventional way of thinking. These days most people are under the impression that to find a big mule deer, elk, or antelope that you need to be as far from the road as you can be. Big critters don’t wear pedometers. They get in where they fit in. I position myself between the guys cruising the roads, and the guys who have packed way back into the head of every drainage. Most times it’s only about a half hour walk in the dark to get to my spot in the morning. I’ve found and hunted some incredible trophies using this strategy. And I’m not sleeping on a frozen mountain side, eating mountain house out of a pouch. I stay in my camper, eat a good breakfast. And get a good dinner and a shower every night.

You sir, have got it figured out. smile

Guy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I am a... coastal marsh duck hunter primarily. And occasional food plot sitter. Lol. But i am getting bored with the same old stuff year after year and would like to start going after deer and elk out west, where u actually have to hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antlers. Doesn't matter if its a nice fork horn or a big bull elk, when I'm hunting and see a good set of antlers my heart skips a beat.
I've sat in a tree stand once and it almost drove me crazy. Been in a duck blind once too. Not my style. Being raised in the west, I like to pursue game, not have it wander into range.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Antlers. Doesn't matter if its a nice fork horn or a big bull elk, when I'm hunting and see a good set of antlers my heart skips a beat.
I've sat in a tree stand once and it almost drove me crazy. Been in a duck blind once too. Not my style. Being raised in the west, I like to pursue game, not have it wander into range.

Ditto

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, spot and stock is the western way to hunt.
Actually, climbing, glassing the openings and climbing some more. I don't have the temperament to sit and wait in a blind or over a mineral lick etc.
I need to hunt mountains and keep moving.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm getting a little up there in age as well. I'm 76. What kind of hunter am I ? The kind that enjoys a quality experience. Locally here that means Blue Grouse when the early seasons open. It can also mean Mountain Quail. Where I hunt, I rarely see another hunter. Blue Grouse are very hard to find, for instance. One of my most productive areas is 5 miles in, and about 2400 ft. up. Then you kick the meadows going out. Nobody hunts there.
My big game hunting these days is limited to deer. But not just any deer. I insist on hunting the 4 yr. old class buck with trophy anthers. I am also addicted to hunting deserts. The desert I hunt is radically different than the classic high desert where the Rocky Mountain Mule Deer roam. If you can't cover ground, either on foot or with a 4WD, and read sign, you are wasting your time hunting there. 6600 sq. miles of land and 5-6000 deer. You really need to find them first. E

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Welll...time was I would have been one "Type", still hunter. Sitting in a tree or blind STILL drives me to distraction, even after 53 years of hunting whitetails. As many have mentioned, "when I was younger", I should say that as well. Still hunting for a mile or two was no problem as I knew every landowner or was related to them. As I got older and we bought our far I had good, generous neighbors who let me hunt as most of them didn't. Killed a lot of deer and hogs up close and personal sneakin' up on them. Compared to out west a mile or two isn't far, you can see game that far away. In the Ozarks, it ain't like that. A mile or two through corn flakes is a long darn way.

When we lived in Wyoming it was hard to get away from the way I'd hunted for 30 years so I hunted the canyons and draws, going slow. It worked there as well as several mulies and a couple elk attest.

These days I can sit in my pop up blind for almost an hour. After that I'm headed back to the house. I've killed plenty of game and would just as soon work with an old rifle and obscure cartridge. Besides, I've dressed and butchered about all the big game I care to. I'd just as soon hunt skwerls.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Lol i hear that sharps, second half the season i cant sit more than a couple hours before i get bored and grab a shotgun with some buckshot and start trying to jump shoot something

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Kind of Hunter are you?

AN EMPHATIC YES
Florida to Alaska, and Africa
Small game to moose. Feathered critters included.
Traditional archery, muzzleloader, shotguns and rifles
Stuntshooter to big bores.
Spot and stalk, stand, calling, opportunistic, jump shooting,decoys, etc.

Last edited by CRS; 06/25/20.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
world hunter Africa/Europe/Russia/Mongolia/Alaska and the lower 48 mostly MT. in the Bitterroot, and the Bob Marshalls have a place there way up on 8 mile road out of Florence there I saddle up and go way up in mts and take along 2 pack mules I am a meat hunter only

Last edited by johnt189; 06/25/20.

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was a real hunter.
I would hunt anything in season,anywhere and like the OP, do whats necessary to get there.
Fur, fin and feather from sunrise to sunset, then hunt what roamed the night too, then repeat.
Only had a 30-06, .22lr, 12ga and a .357 pistola.
Owned upland and waterfowl dogs at the same time.
Nothing was safe and I ate wild game + fish for lunch and dinner.
Now, I've become the hunter that I used to frown upon or even despise, a workaholic no time to hunt hunter, that owns more guns + gear than I could ever use.
I still take opening week of deer season off from work, but it's not like the old days where I could roam the woods a free man.
Now, Too many city people ruining the woods with their tiny houses and posted signs on every tree.
Too many lyme filled blood sucking ticks out there too.
I'm trying to make up for my misdeeds by showing the ropes to the younger generations and that's getting me back into the woods more now, but I'm not half the hunter I was.
SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Track and sign.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I mostly spot and stalk.
I sometimes shoot game with a scoped rifle are distances up to about 500 meters, but my favorite way to kill my game is up close with iron sights ---and many times with a flintlock rifle or a stock revolver.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am a western hunter. Mountains, desert, plains and coast. Still hunting and spot and stock!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I used to like to walk the woods and prairie but had little success. Then an old hunter told me to quit reading those hunting magazines because they didn't apply to down here. We hunt wary white tail and hogs which are both almost impossible to sneak up on. Also the brush is almost too thick to walk in and every step is a snap crackle and pop of breaking twigs and crackling dry leaves. So nowdays I'm usually in my ground blind. However, sometimes I'll sit on a bucket more or less in the open being totally camo'ed close to a game trail where they cross. I've killed both hogs and deer like that.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/26/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alpine hunter. I like timberline for elk (~12,000 ft around here), higher for sheep. Steep climbing seems to be the quickest way to separate from hunters and elk seem to know that. Also, I prefer hauling meat downhill when possible.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm just a hunter. Some days I'm a big game hunter, some a bird hunter. There's days I'm a waterfowl hunter and others I'm a fur hunter. I'm just a hunter.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it runs from me I'll hunt it, and as someone said, never stop learning. In my 20's a wise mentor hunter told me to learn to enjoy what the locality offered where I lived. That way you don't feel like you have to travel somewhere distant to enjoy a hunt.

So in Southern California I learned to hunt halibut and lobster and sea bass underwater. While living in British Columbia I loved hunting alpine critters, still hunting migrating mulies in snowy forest, rattling whitetails, and slipping through coastal wet forest for blacktails. Everywhere I've lived I've called predators.

Calling animals has been a delight and I've called about 35 kinds not counting any waterfowl. As I age, calling critters to me has kept me hunting better, without as much physical effort. I am coming full circle to enjoying the hunts for deer, grouse and calling cats as my favorites.

One other quirk: not sure why but I tend to get close to critters. I bow hunted a lot in my 20's, especially when calling, and to this day tend to get close to game, even when I have a scoped centerfire rifle in hand. Have called or stalked foxes, coyotes, moose, elk, black bear, grizzly, caribou, bobcat, lynx, mule deer, whitetail, cougar... (and probably some stuff I don't know about) inside of ten yards, a good number of those within touching/powder burn distance.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mart
I'm just a hunter. Some days I'm a big game hunter, some a bird hunter. There's days I'm a waterfowl hunter and others I'm a fur hunter. I'm just a hunter.

Amen brother

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm sure many hunt different types of game, but what do you see yourself as? Growing up in Michigan, I've always considered myself a "North Woods" hunter. By that, I mean whitetail, black bear, moose. Other types (not all are listed) can be Western Plains, Mountain, Alaskan Dangerous Game, Varmint, African, etc.

As you might have guessed from my location I'm definitely a, as you put it, a "North Woods" hunter.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JonnyGumbo
Originally Posted by mart

Amen brother

AN EMPHATIC YES

That is what I was trying to get across, but you stated it much more succinctly and efficiently. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I;m a newly retired hunter that goes after meat for the freezer and spends more time helping family members fill their tags than I do mine.
Elk and antelope mostly. Deer as opportunity allows, so long as it doesn't interfere with getting elk. No interest in Africa or exotics but wouldn't mind going after moose in AK.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lousy, much of the time ...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WAM
Lousy, much of the time ...

That. I used to chase quail all over Texas, now I hunt deer, catch pigs, shoot pigs, sometimes shoot an Aoudad.

I mostly like to be out in the woods.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One that does not like to sit still. Also one that is not very good, but enjoys lugging my carcass and gear through the mountains.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I hunt everything I can get after. Still haven't drawn a moose yet. If it flies, crawls, walks or digs I hunt it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a meat hunter. If I can eat it I will hunt it.
That being said, there is nothing wrong with honing your skills on a PD town!
Given the chance I would shoot something for the hide as well. Leopard comes to mind. Not sure how zebra would taste, but I'd certainly have at least 1 meal of it.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Opportunity Hunter first, grocery Hunter second. Sometimes they coincide.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like stalking of whitetail. We don't have many large animals to hunt. Democrats are not in season.......YET. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I started going blacktail deer hunting with dad and grandpa when I was 3. I have a photo of mom and I with her big blacktail buck when I was three. They taught me how to think like a blacktail buck, and what the big, smart ones do to survive. I didn't believe all the old wives tales about how they'd sneak by a hunter on their knees, or how they'd let you stand on top of them for 10 minutes before exploding from under your feet. I believe it now. They are an amazing animal to hunt, incredibly smart, which oddly, makes them somewhat predictable to their own detriment. I''ve had good success with them so far, knock on wood.

Also have a passion for big black bears. Don't like to shoot them much anymore out of my immense respect for them but I hunt them and enjoy being in their woods.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i am a "still hunter" . hunt mainly whitetail. like Roy stated about Blacktail i have had them lay down behind a log and let you walk by or even sit on it before sneaking down my back trail. i usually cover 1/4 mile in an hour when hunting white tail. Elk i hunt by finding FRESH sign then following up on the run.used to run that is. slower now but still much faster then white tail.
bear i hunt just to watch anymore. they are better entertainment then any tv show. it would have to be a 450+ for me to want to shoot another one.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read this awhile ago. My developed is still currently stuck between Limiting-Out and Trophy but hope to evolve someday; however, unless "Method" can be applied to using iron sights, I'll probably have to jump it to Sportsman.

The five stages of hunter development are:

Shooting Stage.
Limiting-Out Stage.
Trophy Stage.
Method Stage.
Sportsman Stage.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I consider myself a big woods hunter. And that's because the region in PA I have always preferred to hunt is called the Big Woods Region. It's not the north woods which to me is the Boreal forest although I've certainly done some hunting in the north woods and that holds a special place in my heart. But the hardwood ridges and the Hemlock valleys of the big woods after deer and bear are where I'm most at home.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Im a still hunter and an ambusher. In the blood, i guess.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some days I'm a stand hunter in a heated blind sharing cocoa and snacks with his little girls...some days I'm a "I'll see you in a couple of days, take a pack and rifle to the hills" hunter....some days I'm a share a duck blind and hoot and holler and have a good time hunter.

Some days I'm a solo run and gun turkey hunter

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Eastern Woodlands. I don't have much interest in long range hunting or African Plains type hunting. I like the idea of hunting where my ancestors hunted, and for the same game animals.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Great question! I like to think of myself as a modern day mountain man, but I’’m surely kidding myself.
Having said that heaven to me is a day in any mountain range (mostly Arizona) with a lite pack, binos and a rifle I have spent weeks and maybe years carrying.
This season I will be carrying a Begara 14 Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor. I hope my Mod 70, 270 will forgive me!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I'm a meat hunter. If I can eat it I will hunt it.
That being said, there is nothing wrong with honing your skills on a PD town!
Given the chance I would shoot something for the hide as well. Leopard comes to mind. Not sure how zebra would taste, but I'd certainly have at least 1 meal of it.

Zebra is fantastic!

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a meat hunter, well was. Don't hunt much anymore other than birds. I see a legal animal that is around 200yds or less from me I took the shot then and packed it home, cut it up and put it in the freezer. I will not risk loosing an animal by taking a long shot. Long shot's build your ego and lessen you chance of meat in the freezer! I'm getting long in the tooth now, 74yrs, and live alone on social security and really don't need to hunt to put away meat. Also I worry about getting an animal down and then getting it out. Last elk season for me was last year as I realized if I shot one where I was into, I wouldn't be able to get it out without loosing a lot of it. Took a nice long walk and went home, called it a season! Didn't even apply for tags this year but will bird hunt, got dog's to keep me company! Won't get rid of my guns, love them but I finally broke down and bought a decent boat to fish out of. Oh yea, haven't hunted deer for quite a number of years.

Last edited by DonFischer; 07/05/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Mr Fisher, my situation is very similar to yours. Meat hunter, 70’s, SS, no family close, my wife won’t help get a big game animal out of the woods. grin
We moved here to be close to my Son and family and then he got a job overseas, so for the same reasons I won’t put in for tags this year.
I have discovered turkey hunting, it is a lot of fun, much easier to get out of the woods. Still bird hunt and fly fish. But without help, when you get this age It’s time to slow down and enjoy the memories.

To all the younger hunters, slow down and enjoy the hunt, friends and family. Make your memories, don’t worry so much about the trophy, more about the experience. Keep shooting and adapt the best you can.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I grew up hunting mule deer and elk in CO. So I'm a western/mountain hunter. I like it open so I can see. Hunting thick woodlots makes me a little claustrophobic and make me feel penned in.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
only thing I've hunted the last few yrs has been hogs, the last deer I got was about 4 yrs ago. pretty much just fish offshore now.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I suppose an Oregon self taught hunter would describe me. My dad didn't hunt until I was older and kept after him. I learned from wandering the woods, buddies, their dads an uncle and a couple of cousins.

We were loggers and lived in many ares in the state, especially NE Oregon and the Willamette Valley. moving to Portland when dad got older. It really limited my available hunting as i no longer had acces to private land.

I have hunted sage rats, squirrels, marmots, doves, pheasants, chukars, grouse, ducks geese, crows, turkey, jackrabbits, hares, coyotes and cougars (still haven't killed one by myself). Where my preference lies is in big game though. I have been able to take Blacktails, Columbian whitetail, Mule deer, Whitetail, Elk, Antelope and Bighorn Sheep all fhere in Oregon. I did use a guide ( I was 71) for my once in a lifetime sheep but the others were all taken unguided on public land.

I mostly use spot and stalk but I sit a lot on opening days and in dry weather now. I am surprised at how successful I am with the sitting. I could never do much of that until a couple of years ago.

I will be 73 this year and have spent a couple of rough years with groin and knee injuries and then got my left hip replaced a week ago. The right hip will be replaced shortly. I didn't hunt elk last year as I didn't think I could take care of one alone.
I did manager a deer with a little help from my hunting pardner. I have a couple of other isses related to Agent Orange exposeure also.

This year I put in for a doe hunt but didn't draw. Likely just as well. I do expect to be able to hunt big game again next year. Am starting rehab already.

Thinking about it a little more I suppose I am a Sitting Bull kind of hunter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Fish, small game, upland birds, whitetail deer, bear (list used to include moose, but not since the greatly reduced tag numbers) are our major source of protein.

Over the years, I'd say about the same, other than I never really hunted bear. I've killed a fair number of nuisance bears though. Paul and I inhabited the same old haunts never knowing each other. Now I live in Manitoba and my health is keeping me out of the field mostly, but I have enjoyed my hunting and fishing life in the extreme.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I would generally just call myself a "big game hunter," as I like hunting mammals over birds. I definitely enjoy hunts where I can shoot multiple animals over a single animal. I think it stems from when I started hunting, I did not come from a family that hunted and did not have a lot of opportunities to hunt growing up (usually a long weekend, once or twice a year, typically without successfully finding anything to shoot). I know many here shot multiple deer a year growing up and still continue to do so; I didn't shoot my first deer until I was 19 after having been a "hunter" for 5 years. My hunting opportunities are still pretty limited now due to work and other obligations, so when I get time to go hunting, I like to maximize the amount of animals I can shoot (Africa is great for this). I enjoy processing and eating the animals I hunt, but it's not my primary reason for hunting and my home office shows a pretty strong bias for taxidermy.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Road.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
at 74 and somewhat damaged by a lifetime of rheumatoid arthritis, I'm one to drive my 4X4 to within 1/4 mile of a hunt area, walk with my rifle and home made shooting sticks to a spot that has served me well over the last ten years. I sit on the ground or a chair my hunting buddies set up for me and wait for the elk to come to a pond for water.....So far my elk numbers six and five of them cows. I'm lucky that the ranch forman brings out a tractor with a front end loader for field dressing and hauling the carcass to the ranch shed for hanging and boning out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I started hunting when I was 11 and 58 years later, I'm still at it. Back then, we mostly hunted quail, rabbits or squirrels and seldom even saw a deer. I got serious about hunting deer in my 20's and never tried hunting elk until my early 50's and really wish I had started earlier. At 69 I can no longer climb mountains in CO where we hunted for 10+ years so now, I hunt deer, hogs and occasionally turkey. While I can't claim to be exclusively a meat hunter, although I have filled my freezer several times over with venison from hunts in OK, TX and SD. I still prefer to stop and stalk but the older I get, still hunting is becoming more attractive.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Years ago heard this story:

Fred Bear did a presentation in some town in the Midwest. Afterward a young reporter for the local paper interviewed him, and asked: "Mr. Bear, you hunted all around the world, taking game from grizzly bears to elephants with bow and arrow. What's your absolute favorite kind of hunting?"

By then Fred was on oxygen, so sucked a little before he answered. "Well, kid, road hunting's been really good to me!"

β€œMontana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mostly a still hunter. Blacktailed deer mostly, elk occasionally. Centerfire rifle, handgun, muzzleloader ... depends on the day, depends on the cover. A small amount of predator calling. Some colony varmint shooting but not as much in recent years.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to hunt whitetails with a passion, but after my FIL passed and I had to act as the game warden of my Wife's family land, I pretty much lost interest.

I buy my allotment of buck and antlerless tags so that I can shoot several deer with different rifles, different cartridges, and different bullets, but it is mechanical, not passionate.

Now I prefer to hunt fox squirrels with a couple different 17HM2 rifles. The long season, no other hunters, and a liberal bag limit makes for a more casual and unhurried day afield.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I hunt mammals with four legs. I love getting up close. I use a rifle but behave like a bowhunter.

My favorite is desert sheep. Next on my list is big white sheep preferably within 150 yards.

β€œPerfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m the kind of hunter that has to work 5 days a week but would rather hunt 6 days a week. Anybody need a professional hunter? I’ll take minimum wage.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I used to hunt whitetails with a passion, but after my FIL passed and I had to act as the game warden of my Wife's family land, I pretty much lost interest.

I buy my allotment of buck and antlerless tags so that I can shoot several deer with different rifles, different cartridges, and different bullets, but it is mechanical, not passionate.

Now I prefer to hunt fox squirrels with a couple different 17HM2 rifles. The long season, no other hunters, and a liberal bag limit makes for a more casual and unhurried day afield.

I’ve been having a real crappy day and the first half of your post made me realize that my best days are behind me. But hey, hunting squirrels by myself in the woods all day is something I could get used to.

Sorry the in-laws killed your passion. As my soul sucking boss likes to say, β€œyou’ll have that”.

Last edited by Jeffrey; 07/16/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I mostly hunt elk still...And if not elk, then birds...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Over the years, I'd say about the same, other than I never really hunted bear. I've killed a fair number of nuisance bears though. Paul and I inhabited the same old haunts never knowing each other. Now I live in Manitoba and my health is keeping me out of the field mostly, but I have enjoyed my hunting and fishing life in the extreme.

Brother Keith,

We are definitely blessed with an abundance of outdoor activities !

Strange that in an entire catchment area of roughly only 7000 people, we never did cross paths in the last 14 years.

Very glad you enjoyed your time here, & still left a little for us.

Nothing blessed me more than mentoring our Son & my wife's enthusiasm for hunting.

Deb only sat her hunter safety course, to help Doug get his hunter apprentice licence, when he was 12.

Was in a double tree stand, a day apart, with both of them when they harvested their first deer (both young bucks).

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Fall of 2010, out towards the Ski hill !

Enjoy your fond memories, of time well spent !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm one of those low-life "meat hunters", tho it gets expensive and time consuming at times.... almost on par with "trophy hunting". smile

I'm not "evolved" per the "steps" or "hierarchy " of hunters. "Trophy" hunters being at the top of course, according to this elitist BS.

I've been lucky enough to kill whitetail and mule deer, an elk, one wolf, dozens of caribou, 20 something moose, several black bears and Dall sheep and one goat.

I'd kinda like to whack a pronghorn some day...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 47 invisible), 3,283 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.