Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm sure many hunt different types of game, but what do you see yourself as? Growing up in Michigan, I've always considered myself a "North Woods" hunter. By that, I mean whitetail, black bear, moose. Other types (not all are listed) can be Western Plains, Mountain, Alaskan Dangerous Game, Varmint, African, etc.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Until I started hitting Internet forums, I really did not have an idea of there being a distinction. I'm from Ohio, and I realized after a time hunting in Indiana that "Buckeyes" were not welcome. We had a reputation for random slaughter, poaching, road hunting and so on. I caught the cue and moved my hunting out of SE Indiana. I ended up doing most of my hunting in Kentucky for the past 30 years, and I can't say as I resemble the stereotyped KY hunter either. Folks in Ohio and Indiana think we're a bunch wild-shooting booger-eating morons. The former comes from the distinction that, up until a very few years ago, Kentucky was the only state in the area that allowed centerfire rifles for deer season. That's pretty much why I went to KY-- they allowed Sunday hunting and allowed me to hunt deer with a 30-06.

If you have to classify me in any way meaningfully, you'd probably pick on the fact that I've done 99% of my hunting in the Ohio Valley, for the past 20 years, exclusively in the northern Trans-Bluegrass, between the Licking and Ohio. Next, you would probably zero in on my propensity for choosing sitting over walking. Everyone in our camp hunts out of a stand or blind. I still don't know if that qualifies as a "kind." If there's any set designation for me, I don't know it.

When I started writing, "The Deer Doctor" and "The Deer Professor" were already taken. I finally settled on "The Cervid Serial Killer." To quote my weblog:

I plot and plan my next victim all Winter long. I stalk them throughout the Summer. Just seeing them gives me a thrill. Then, when the Fall comes, I go out and shoot them. I disembowel my victims. I take trophies, I feast on their flesh. I take pictures and hang them on my wall, to help remind me of my past episodes.

When I can, I get together with like-minded cervid serial killers, and we boast of our past episodes and plot and plan future forays. I frequent websites and chatrooms that service my needs to share my experiences. I even buy magazines that glorify my lifestyle. I do all this to satisfy some ineffable feeling that keeps driving me on incessantly. I am indoctrinating my children into this lifestyle and encouraging my friends and family to join me in consuming the flesh of my victims.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm an OLD hunter. I'm still in pretty good shape at 71 but my 2 long time partners, 75 and 74, are about to the end. Over the years I've got truck loads of deer, a bunch of elk, a couple antelope and my moose (1 bull in a lifetime in Idaho) but I still haven't got my wolf.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm a hunter who is constantly learning more and more, and appreciating more and more.

Mostly I hunt mule deer and upland birds. Mostly here in Washington. Have made several trips to Wyoming over the past 20 years and I appreciate the wonderful hunting opportunities there.

Seems like even in my 60's, I'm always learning something new about game, habitat, and all that. Have been doing more "hunting" with my camera in recent years too. The season never ends, no tags are required, and the pack-out is a LOT easier.

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Frustrated. I see every year the Idaho Department of Money (Fish and Game) pigeon holing hunters into smaller and smaller areas, time slots, draw hunts and pick your weapon type of mentality. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm as old as I am and got to enjoy as much hunting as I did before they 'fixed it'.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I'm an OLD hunter. I'm still in pretty good shape at 71 but my 2 long time partners, 75 and 74, are about to the end. Over the years I've got truck loads of deer, a bunch of elk, a couple antelope and my moose (1 bull in a lifetime in Idaho) but I still haven't got my wolf.

MY thoughts also. SUCCESSFUL AND OLD. Not in the 70's yet.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Frustrated. I see every year the Idaho Department of Money (Fish and Game) pigeon holing hunters into smaller and smaller areas, time slots, draw hunts and pick your weapon type of mentality. Sometimes I feel lucky that I'm as old as I am and got to enjoy as much hunting as I did before they 'fixed it'.

My good friend and neighbor, O.T. was telling me how it used to be in the old days around here. He'd leave the house and start hunting in a particular direction and wouldn't stop until nightfall. His father had been the same way only moreso. It was nothing for them walk 12-15 miles going after rabbit grouse, quail-- whatever. They'd get over to the other end of the county and look for an extended family member to drive them home or sleep in a barn and go back the next day. He never worried about property lines; he was related to nearly every landowner in some way or another, and nobody cared besides. O.T. died 5 years go.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by centershot

My good friend and neighbor, O.T. was telling me how it used to be in the old days around here. He'd leave the house and start hunting in a particular direction and wouldn't stop until nightfall. His father had been the same way only moreso. It was nothing for them walk 12-15 miles going after rabbit grouse, quail-- whatever. They'd get over to the other end of the county and look for an extended family member to drive them home or sleep in a barn and go back the next day. He never worried about property lines; he was related to nearly every landowner in some way or another, and nobody cared besides. O.T. died 5 years go.

when i was a youth that`s how it was hunt when and where ever you wanted to hunt because i lived in the country,we took our squirrel rifles on the bus to school and left them at the principals office tell school was out and then walked home thru the country huntin squirrels and maybe a grouse,next day principal wanted to know how hunting went . i was asked once if i protested the Viet Nam war ever in school i said nope to busy working,fishing,hunting and sneakin a few beers with some country friends. my son was lucky i knew all the neighbors all were either relatives or friends so son grew up just enjoying life as a youth as i did except schools did not allow guns in no more dang liberals !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Big game hunter, preferably on a big tract of land where I can get away from others not in my party.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a sheep hunter, firstly. I hunt the rest of the species here also( elk, moose, goat, deer species) most of the seasons run concurrently...so I concentrate on Bighorns. Wearing out saddle and bootleather. Not really interested in hunting valley bottoms .After sheep, mule deer, goats and elk in that order, not much interested in Whitetailed deer hunting.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Subsistence. Axis deer, feral goats n pigs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Big game hunter, preferably on a big tract of land where I can get away from others not in my party.

Smoke hit it for me. I like space even if its whitetail back east, elk out west, bears up north - about anything. I like space and options.

That said, I break my year into several parts. In October, I chase elk in CO/WY. Come November I start chasing whitetail in TN and PA, with a couple days of black bears thrown in. In spring, I chase turkeys in TN/PA. Suffice to say, I consider myself an elk/deer/bear/turkey hunter. If forced to choose, I'd likely give up everything else to chase elk.......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess I am an opportunity hunter, the more opportunities the better. I just like being in wide open spaces and the mountains. I don't care much for being in the thick woods or dense brush. Predator hunting in the winter is probably my favorite now, lots of solitude and good tracking.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My family are efficient meat hunters, processors & consumers !

Fish, small game, upland birds, whitetail deer, bear (list used to include moose, but not since the greatly reduced tag numbers) are our major source of protein.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I’m a western hunter who doesn’t subscribe to the conventional way of thinking. These days most people are under the impression that to find a big mule deer, elk, or antelope that you need to be as far from the road as you can be. Big critters don’t wear pedometers. They get in where they fit in. I position myself between the guys cruising the roads, and the guys who have packed way back into the head of every drainage. Most times it’s only about a half hour walk in the dark to get to my spot in the morning. I’ve found and hunted some incredible trophies using this strategy. And I’m not sleeping on a frozen mountain side, eating mountain house out of a pouch. I stay in my camper, eat a good breakfast. And get a good dinner and a shower every night.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I’m a western hunter who doesn’t subscribe to the conventional way of thinking. These days most people are under the impression that to find a big mule deer, elk, or antelope that you need to be as far from the road as you can be. Big critters don’t wear pedometers. They get in where they fit in. I position myself between the guys cruising the roads, and the guys who have packed way back into the head of every drainage. Most times it’s only about a half hour walk in the dark to get to my spot in the morning. I’ve found and hunted some incredible trophies using this strategy. And I’m not sleeping on a frozen mountain side, eating mountain house out of a pouch. I stay in my camper, eat a good breakfast. And get a good dinner and a shower every night.

You sir, have got it figured out. smile

Guy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I am a... coastal marsh duck hunter primarily. And occasional food plot sitter. Lol. But i am getting bored with the same old stuff year after year and would like to start going after deer and elk out west, where u actually have to hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antlers. Doesn't matter if its a nice fork horn or a big bull elk, when I'm hunting and see a good set of antlers my heart skips a beat.
I've sat in a tree stand once and it almost drove me crazy. Been in a duck blind once too. Not my style. Being raised in the west, I like to pursue game, not have it wander into range.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Antlers. Doesn't matter if its a nice fork horn or a big bull elk, when I'm hunting and see a good set of antlers my heart skips a beat.
I've sat in a tree stand once and it almost drove me crazy. Been in a duck blind once too. Not my style. Being raised in the west, I like to pursue game, not have it wander into range.

Ditto

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah, spot and stock is the western way to hunt.
Actually, climbing, glassing the openings and climbing some more. I don't have the temperament to sit and wait in a blind or over a mineral lick etc.
I need to hunt mountains and keep moving.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 53 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.