Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got an old Remington Model 8 with a Weaver KV scope on a side mount. It's hard to get a "cheek touch" much less a cheek weld. Anyone have experience with one of the strap-on comb raising pads? I see the Bearttooth Comb Raising Kit on Midway. Just wondering how well they work. thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the foam glue-on pads as they are very light and durable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The Beartooth comb raiser works well in my experience. Use one on a Mosin Nagant carbine and also a trap gun.

Last edited by Mike_S; 06/23/20.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by VernAK

Got a name brand and source for these. i am in need as well.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The BearTooth pads work great. I've had one on my 358 WIN Browning BLR for years.

It's impossible to get a good cheek weld with the factory stocks on the BLR's. I wish Boyd's would offer a replacement high-comb stock for the BLR's.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by southtexas
Got an old Remington Model 8 with a Weaver KV scope on a side mount. It's hard to get a "cheek touch" much less a cheek weld. Anyone have experience with one of the strap-on comb raising pads? I see the Bearttooth Comb Raising Kit on Midway. Just wondering how well they work. thanks

I assume that the side-mount has the scope offset to the left, ;rather than centered over the bore. If so, you might find that the leather cheek-piece designed for the Garands that were equipped with sniper scopes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used one of the leather lace-on pads on a Mauser that I scoped. They work as advertised. Got it from either Brownell's or Midway, can't remember which.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by southtexas

I assume that the side-mount has the scope offset to the left, ;rather than centered over the bore. If so, you might find that the leather cheek-piece designed for the Garands that were equipped with sniper scopes.

[quote=260Remguy]

Yes. The scope is offset to the left. The rifle ejects brass straight up, similar to a M94.

Thanks to all for the replies!

T
tcp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by fuzzytail

Cheek eez made by the Kick eez recoil pad people. Come in different thicknesses. Work great.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by fuzzytail

Cheek eez made by the Kick eez recoil pad people. Come in different thicknesses. Work great.

That's the one!......Cheek eez!......

Make that rifle fit you!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use TacOps adjustable pads, where 1/8" layers of soft foam can be added to get exactly the right height. They're attached with Velcro straps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Amazon has a large assortment.I just bought one made by Tourbon.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Beretta makes a good pad in two thicknesses. Be careful in adding any pad, as often the unintended consequence is added cast, meaning pushing a shooter’s eye away from the gun. This may be okay; maybe not.

They are a bit pricey too.

https://www.amazon.com/Beretta-Gel-Tek-Shotgun-Protector-Thickness/dp/B009PTRXQG

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My father's solution to mounting a Weaver K4 was to use a side mount placed on the right side of his ancient Model 94 top-eject. It's not conventional or intuitive, but it worked well as you leaned your face over the stock.

As you already have scope and side mount, you might try a temporary duct tape mounting to see if it fits.

Ken O

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who believe that ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The neoprene of the Beartooth had a feel I didn't care for.
I went Velcro and Kydex and made my own.

But it was on a synth stock so no worry about the adhesive of the Velcro messing up the finish

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Beartooth on my 30-30 and one on my turkey shotgun. They work fine. I’d use one for just about anything but a shotgun for wing shooting(because the Beartooth adds cast to the stock).

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
From an old post on the subject....

I've taken a flip flop and cut it to the size I wanted. I then used Gorilla Tape to tape it where I wanted it. Then wrapped with CoFlex vet wrap ($2.49 at Tractor Supply). So far it's been very durable and you can layer to get exactly the height you want.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tried the Beartooth pad system on a Henry Steele carbine .44. Could not stand how it gapped open at the (top) pistol grip. Could have folded/pinched/taped at it but.....Nope. Reluctantly went with a peep. Not sure if I will hunt with it or not: "Old Eyes."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Triad Tactical stock pad https://triadtactical.com/triad-stock-pad/

The inside is all loop, and the straps plus spacers are all hook&loop. You set up the comb height and strap location where you want and it all stays together.

They also make them as a stock pack, if you want the comb height plus a spot to store ammo and a DOPE card.

I use the Brown stock pack on a Rem700 Classic, and while the look of ballistic nylon isn’t “classic”, it’s not obnoxious.

Mine has gone through multiple long hunting seasons and looks virtually brand new, so they’re built well.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I made a wrap around comb pad from a piece of 5mm neoprene wader material. It overlaps at the comb and cheek for a double-height gain - a measured 8mm rise. The pad had a tendency to slip forward with recoil, so I put double-sticky cellophane tape top and bottom. This stopped any recoil movement. The overlap wrap is held by Velcro, Goop cemented in place, which took a bit of trial and error to judge.

To help avoid mistakes, I first made a construction paper pattern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (1_deuce, 219DW, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,491
Posts18,452,102
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.