24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll say it again, the West is HUGE compared to the East. A logger buddy and I made a trip to South Carolina once to pick up a motorboat. From southern Illinois to Carolina and back was 48 hours exactly. From that same point it was two and a half days of high speed to Montana one way. Overnighted in Iowa somewhere, then Big Timber, then a half-day home. Going, we made it to Rapid City the first night, and that same town in Illinois the second.

From northern Montana to Salt Lake is a day and a half one way for normal people. At 90 mph in an A8 it's a couple hours faster. It's called the Far West for a reason.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
BP-B2

B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
SLC is out.

5 nights in Ashton experiencing the Tetons and Yellowstone.

at least 3 nights around Glacier exploring the area.

My big question now is do I take a day/night away from SD and add it to Glacier.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
All good advice. Cross the river at Chamberlain SD and your in the west for sure. Dancin with Wolves country. Stop and shoot some prairie dogs then just before the badlands there is the nuclear defense museum on the right, with checking out if your a boomer. Go through the Badlands, stop at Wall Drugs, then Mt Rushmore (be sure to drive around and get the side view), catch Sheels & Cabelas. Head to Devils Tower, then stop at Gillete if there are any coal mine tours still going. On to either Buffalo or Dayton and go over the Big Horn mountains. North route you might catch some hang gliders. Out through Greybull off to Cody. ThereS a cool canyon between ther to the north. Take in the museum at Cody. Head to Cook City via Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. Do the Beartooth Pass to Redlodge. Lamar Valley in Yellowstone, Gardner Mt the North enterance, the falls, old faithfull & the old faith lodge. You got Eartquake Lake outside west Yellowstone, grand tetons & Jackson hole to the south. Its a long way to glacier nation park! I was disappointed with the Highway to the Sun after multiple trips over the Beartooth. Lots of gunshops to browse out west. Check conditions as the Beartooth was closed June 12th when we were there one year and Gacier was closed our first trip up there on the highway to the sun. Have fun!

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bald1
Originally Posted by CRS

You could do a week in the Black Hills area alone.

Hell, I've lived here since 1994 and still have things I haven't seen in and nearby the Hills. The 5 state area centering on the Black Hills (SD, ND, WY, MT, NE) is simply amazing. smile

Been in Spearfish since 91. I understand completely.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag
I must make notes

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Western road trip burnout, trees and rocks!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Brang ur own wallermellon.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope to take my family to South Dakota later this summer. You'll have to let us know what to see there.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
If HWY 93 between GNP and Missoula is in your route, the National Bison Range is worth a stop. South shore of flathead lake there is wild horse island, set up a tour and check out a island of Bighorn sheep.

1+

B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Bumping this up...we leave in about a week

I'd like to hear about any diners, dives, etc. that shouldn't be missed

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by jnyork
Something that always kinda saddens me when I see these threads, many folks in the Eastern part of the country do not have a real grasp on how far it is between stops out here in the West. If you plan too many places to go and see, you will wind up driving more than seeing, driving yourself and your family nuts especially if you have children. Go to one place and stay a few days and see all there is to see there while resting up and really enjoying yourselves. For instance, Cody WY is worth 4-5 days with little side trips. You cant possibly do justice to a Yellowstone trip in a day or two. Reduce the planned number of stops and have a better time.

Gotta agree with this,when we went out a couple years ago,I had a bunch of things I wanted the boys to see ( as I've been out before).
We went into SLC overnight,drove to Jackson,+ Teton NP 2 nights,drove to YNP, camped in West Yellowstone 2n,then to Cody 2 nights, then back,total of 4x thru YNP.
The boys all say it was thier favorite vacation ,they just wish we didn't drive so much.
I took the rap for that as I really wanted to see as much as possible as I know it will be hard to get back.

Bama:
I'm not going to read through this entire thread. So, if this has already been said, I apologise.

YOU CAN'T SEE ALL THAT IN 9 DAYS.

I live a lot closer than you do to those parks and it took two separate summer vacations, each 9 days, to take my grand children to see the area.

First week (9 days);
The Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale Wyoming
Jackson Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons National Park, Jenny Lake
Yellowstone (4 days & 3 nights)
The Museum of the West, Cody Wyoming (2 days)

Second Week (9 days);
Dervils Tower
The Black Hills & Deadwood SD
Mount Rushmore
Wind Cave
The Badlands
Hot Springs SD, Evans PLunge, the Mammoth Fossils museum

And that doesn't even include Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes Provincial Park. Add another week.

Last edited by KC; 06/24/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The best thing about Salt Lake is that there are good freeways LEAVING it. I hate that place. It's just another big city. From SLC to Ashton, you can take I-84 but it's all desert the entire way. It's far more scenic to take the slower route through Logan/Montpelier/Alpine. It's farther but worth it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by BamaCKC
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Dont forget to make time for the Hi Line.

We could use the money.......

What's the Hi Line?

The charming slum of Montana.

so true on Montana slum
grin

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by jnyork
Something that always kinda saddens me when I see these threads, many folks in the Eastern part of the country do not have a real grasp on how far it is between stops out here in the West. If you plan too many places to go and see, you will wind up driving more than seeing, driving yourself and your family nuts especially if you have children. Go to one place and stay a few days and see all there is to see there while resting up and really enjoying yourselves. For instance, Cody WY is worth 4-5 days with little side trips. You cant possibly do justice to a Yellowstone trip in a day or two. Reduce the planned number of stops and have a better time.

Gotta agree with this,when we went out a couple years ago,I had a bunch of things I wanted the boys to see ( as I've been out before).
We went into SLC overnight,drove to Jackson,+ Teton NP 2 nights,drove to YNP, camped in West Yellowstone 2n,then to Cody 2 nights, then back,total of 4x thru YNP.
The boys all say it was thier favorite vacation ,they just wish we didn't drive so much.
I took the rap for that as I really wanted to see as much as possible as I know it will be hard to get back.

Bama:
I'm not going to read through this entire thread. So, if this has already been said, I apologise.

YOU CAN'T SEE ALL THAT IN 9 DAYS.

I live a lot closer than you do to those parks and it took two separate summer vacations, each 9 days, to take my grand children to see the area.

First week (9 days);
The Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale Wyoming
Jackson Wyoming, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons National Park, Jenny Lake
Yellowstone (4 days & 3 nights)
The Museum of the West, Cody Wyoming (2 days)

Second Week (9 days);
Dervils Tower
The Black Hills & Deadwood SD
Mount Rushmore
Wind Cave
The Badlands
Hot Springs SD, Evans PLunge, the Mammoth Fossils museum

And that doesn't even include Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes Provincial Park. Add another week.

Well, we have 18 days.

We plan on 5 nights, 5.5 days in Idaho, visiting YS and GT NP. Only thing on the agenda outside of the parks is a horseback ride. Maybe some fishing

We plan on 3 nights, 3 days outside of Glacier NP. No agenda, just the park

We plan on 2 nights, 2.5 days in SD for Mt. Rushmore, the 1880's train, and the Badlands.

There is stuff we'll miss. I'd love to spend more time in each area, but this is what we've got. I hope I've budgeted enough "windshield time"... 2.5 out, 1 between YS and Glacier, 1.5 between Glacier and SD, 2 home

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This is just me but I would not waste any time at Wall Drug. A total waste of time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, we have 18 days.

We plan on 5 nights, 5.5 days in Idaho, visiting YS and GT NP. Only thing on the agenda outside of the parks is a horseback ride. Maybe some fishing

We plan on 2 nights, 2.5 days in SD for Mt. Rushmore, the 1880's train, and the Badlands.

There is stuff we'll miss. I'd love to spend more time in each area, but this is what we've got. I hope I've budgeted enough "windshield time"... 2.5 out, 1 between YS and Glacier, 1.5 between Glacier and SD, 2 home

If you are planning on touring YNP and GTNP while based in Idaho, you are going to spend a lot of time in a vehicle. If you are planning only 1 day of travel from YNP to Glacier, it is going to be a long day, and it also can get worse depending on your starting point in YNP.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I didn't read all the replies but Rock Chuck got it mostly correct. Get off I-84 at Brigham City & go through Logan, Utah, then Preston, stay to the right to Soda Springs & down the highway 34 down the Tin Cup highway into Freedom, Wyoming. You will drive right past Freedom Arms. Then you can go into Jackson Hole & on into the park.
Or you can drive around Palisades Reservoir & into Idaho Fall & back onto I-84 & go into West Yellowstone through Ashton, lots of great scenery either way. Great view of the Teton's from either side.
When you go into the Park be sure & take food & water, I don' think any restaurants are open in the park yet.

Dick

B
BamaCKC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Well, we have 18 days.

If you are planning on touring YNP and GTNP while based in Idaho, you are going to spend a lot of time in a vehicle. If you are planning only 1 day of travel from YNP to Glacier, it is going to be a long day, and it also can get worse depending on your starting point in YNP.

We're staying in Ashton, Id.Everything I've looked at shows Ashton being 45 min from the West entrance. Is this incorrect? I'm ok with 45 min.since this is country we've never seen before and terrain that will be completely new to my kids.

As far as YS to Glacier, I plan on leaving for Missoula sometime after lunch and staying overnight in Missoula. I plan on being somewhere around Hungry Horse close to lunch on Saturday. Does that sound reasonable?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We're staying in Ashton, Id.Everything I've looked at shows Ashton being 45 min from the West entrance. Is this incorrect? I'm ok with 45 min.since this is country we've never seen before and terrain that will be completely new to my kids.

As far as YS to Glacier, I plan on leaving for Missoula sometime after lunch and staying overnight in Missoula. I plan on being somewhere around Hungry Horse close to lunch on Saturday. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashton looks like it is about 50 miles from the West entrance, which may or may not be 45 minutes depending on road conditions. But, that is a minimum hour and a half just to and from the entrance. YNP is huge, and the roads are limited to 45 mph with traffic sometimes being very bad. (This year is weird. The hotels are closed in the parks but the cabins/lodges are open. This could mean less traffic, or it could mean more because more people are driving into the parks from the outside.) If you plan to see a lot of the park, and to stop to enjoy the visitor centers and sights, and to take hikes, it it going to add up to a lot of time. The same goes for Grand Teton NP, which I assume you plan to access via Driggs, Victor and Wilson. (We did that in reverse a couple of years ago.) YMMV, depending on what you are trying to see or do, but it would be too much ground to cover for us because we like to soak up the experience rather than rush from place to place.

You should be fine staying in Missoula. Your post made it sound like a 1 day marathon from YNP to Glacier.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Bumping this up...we leave in about a week

I'd like to hear about any diners, dives, etc. that shouldn't be missed

Colonial House family restaurant on the south end of Mt Rushmore road in Rapid City is worth a visit.
https://www.colonialhousernb.com/

-=[Bob]=-
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (160user, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.