Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We buy lots of 10 pound leg quarters and rice for the dogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

Just get the 50lbs of Good Friends for $15 at Rural King

Dogs love it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I brought this up on here before

There is alot of information for and against and I believe, IIRC, the evidence in support of grain free had some questionable motivations behind it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Blue buffalo, according to our vet, killed our 6 year old husky. We thought we were buying good food for the dogs but apparently the grain free foods are a very bad idea in general.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
But if you insist, I got the Victor salmon and sweet potato from farmers co-op

never paid $48 for a bag of dog food before.

Tried it for 6-8 months, several bags worth. 10 year old female lab I have with some recurrent ear yeast infections. No scraps, no treats, no chewies, isolated from the other two dogs in the side yard fence exclusion

She heartily enjoyed the food, but I saw no improvement in coat, disposition, ear health, energy. (She still had lots of energy) the dog was not then nor now in a malaise state.
I went back to cheap dog food.

YMMV

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My grand dad, my dad and now I use Purina Dog Chow. It's been doing just fine for the past 75 years----no reason to change.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We switched to grain fre a couple of years back due to ear infections[Lab], he kept getting them.
Vet asked wife last winter if we ever gave him beer.........he's not a very happy dog these days but no more ear infections.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Two house dogs here have been on grain free dog food and treats for many years. Both have very bad ear and skin allergies. Never knew a dog could literally be allergic to grass - how does that happen?

One house dog has such a problem that he is on a daily dose of Apoquel (steroid for dogs). Give the guy a couple of potato chips or half a biscuit, and his ears will start to rot off.

One is at least 14, the other is 12. So far no issues. We have fed grain free for probably ten years. Maybe we are lucky.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RemModel8
We buy lots of 10 pound leg quarters and rice for the dogs.

We’ve been picking up those lately for .59 cent a lb.

I don’t do the raw thing with my dogs but even with several family members, none of us can seem to finish off a complete bag of quarters after I smoke them on the frankengrill.

I’ll cut it off the bone after ‘last call’ in the fridge at about the 3 day mark.

Might not be too great on doggie gut with the sauce and smoke seasonings but they seem to really enjoy.
We don’t go overtly spicy when I grill anyway.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's my dogs' grain free diet.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We add a bit of rice or green beans to their food. It's a supplement to their diet, not the main ingredient. No problems with coat nor infections of any sort.

Stay far away from grapes, including raisins. Onions and chocolate are also toxic to dogs.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

All those poor wild foxes, coyotes, and wolves have to somehow make do without any grains in their diets. How do they survive?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

There is currently an active thread in the Gun Dog Forum.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by auk1124
Two house dogs here have been on grain free dog food and treats for many years. Both have very bad ear and skin allergies. Never knew a dog could literally be allergic to grass - how does that happen?

One house dog has such a problem that he is on a daily dose of Apoquel (steroid for dogs). Give the guy a couple of potato chips or half a biscuit, and his ears will start to rot off.

One is at least 14, the other is 12. So far no issues. We have fed grain free for probably ten years. Maybe we are lucky.

I don’t allow the wife to feed my dogs anymore. She goes on trips and luncheons with her staff and brings home all the “non-keto” leftovers like a damn pack rat.

Starts firing bagels and hotel breakfast muffins off at my male labs in the driveway.

no no no...

Although I’m probably contradicting my methods by continuing to feed them cheap dog food.

But Jeeze, no Girl Scout cookies and stale Coco Puffs.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Our 15 mo old Dachshund Choko ( short for chocolate- he wasn't big enough for a whole word ) isn't picky - as long as it is caribou, salmon, porkchops,beef. He will kill for bacon. And sometimes eat dry dog food- we use Taste of the Wild right now.

Mix the good stuff in with canned meat dog food and he picks out the good stuff, leaving the canned.

What the heck do they put in that stuff anyway?

Naw, he isn't spoiled, but he does enjoy a good gut pile remnant from our last year's caribou kill. It even provided a bit of a snack before we could stop him, which he puked up later.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not spoiled at all.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 06/24/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
What am I gonna tell all those dogs who eat cow schit full of grain?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
we can't give one of my dogs any kind of bread, he gets ear infection very easily. Pizza crust appears to be the worst offender.

I don't think he cares, he is satisfied with the occasional chunk of watermelon and slice of cheese

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.