Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve shot trap, skeet and sporting clays all my adult life. Probably more skeet than anything else. Love the game. And I shoot it fairly well with any gauge from 28 to 12. Sometimes I have days of difficulty but it’s rare for me to shoot less than 20/25.

I’m 60 and in all my life have never owned a 410. Don’t know how that came to be but just never had one. Until this week. I bought a very nice little Beretta SP1 with Briley extended choke tubes. Yesterday afternoon I stopped by the range on the way home from work and shot a couple rounds of skeet. First order of business was to check it on a splatter plate. Both barrels shot about 60/40 and well centered left to right. Shooting where I look so no gun fit or regulation excuses.

Man there’s a lot of room around those birds for shot to go without damaging the bird in any way. Especially when it’s just a half ounce.

I was humbled. Very humbled. Shot a 15 and a 12. But what a hoot. No recoil and what a lively little gun. This has the promise of some great fun.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds like fun!!

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mart
I’ve shot trap, skeet and sporting clays all my adult life. Probably more skeet than anything else. Love the game. And I shoot it fairly well with any gauge from 28 to 12. Sometimes I have days of difficulty but it’s rare for me to shoot less than 20/25.

I’m 60 and in all my life have never owned a 410. Don’t know how that came to be but just never had one. Until this week. I bought a very nice little Beretta SP1 with Briley extended choke tubes. Yesterday afternoon I stopped by the range on the way home from work and shot a couple rounds of skeet. First order of business was to check it on a splatter plate. Both barrels shot about 60/40 and well centered left to right. Shooting where I look so no gun fit or regulation excuses.

Man there’s a lot of room around those birds for shot to go without damaging the bird in any way. Especially when it’s just a half ounce.

I was humbled. Very humbled. Shot a 15 and a 12. But what a hoot. No recoil and what a lively little gun. This has the promise of some great fun.
I shot a bunch of skeet about 15+ years ago using an SKB M685 3-barrel skeet set (20/28/410).. I had more fun with that .410.. And beat a fair amount of guys who were using 12 ga guns..

Best I could do though was a 24.. Just couldn't run 'em.. Had the most trouble with station 4, for some unknown reason.. I think I averaged about 21 on the 410.. Sure was a sweet gun. Sold it about three years ago to a guy in MO. who had been looking for a set like that..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
They call the .410 the “idiot stick” ay my club. Very humbling.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I suspect if someone learned to shoot with a 410 had had shot one a lot, it would seem much easier to hit with. I have one in an AyA SxS and use it to shoot pigeons now and then with for my dog's, I'm not so good with it. Carried is grouse hunting now and then but have never seen a grouse in the past several years. I've known two pro trainer's that use one for dog training and they shoot them great, just what ya get used to I think.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just shoot it like it’s a 12 and try not to get sucked in the mental game if you can.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by passport
Just shoot it like it’s a 12 and try not to get sucked in the mental game if you can.

THIS!!!!!!!!!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, I have always said a 410 is an experts shotgun. Not the way to start a child on wing shooting. Wait until the kid can handle a 20 gauge so he can hit some birds.

I used to shoot skeet leagues years ago. It is very humbling when you are shooting a 12 and get beat by the guys shooting the 410's. Happend to me a lot.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I always say, anyone can shoot the big bores.....

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
I had a .410 gun and could never shoot above a 20. Sold it. Now I have tube set and have shot a number of 25s with .410 tubes in my 12 ga. Go figure. I gave up a long time ago trying to figure this stuff out. For me shooting is 90% mental and the other half is luck

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Shooting a good score at skeet with a tubed 8# O/U with .410 tubes pre-mounted is not like shooting a good score with a 5-1/2# SxS .410 shooting it gun down. Light whippy guns are challenging!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We were shooting skeet with a very good shooter at our club who was smashing all the targets, as usual. Eventually I realized he was using a BPS .410! I would not have believed it if I had not seen it myself. He was hitting each target harder than us 12 gauge guys.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Never shot skeet with a 410, but have used a 410 for Quail and Dove for many years, light fast handling, fun to shoot. what's not to like. Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Skeet clays with a .410 either break or don't, sometime even with a perfect point. Even when shot at about the perfect distance for a .410...A chip is an X and a miss is NBD except for tournament skeet. However, the same perfect point can cripple a Dove or Quail. And since you asked, it gives me something not to like about the .410 in the field....

Shoot TSS shot and the game changes....

Last edited by battue; 06/27/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know that a 410 is very effective as a game gun provided the choke, load, and distance is correct in relation to the game being hunted. The little gun kills just as dead as a 12 gauge, perhaps not as far out though.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are not different degrees of dead....Dead is dead. However, there are different degrees of skill, and that is where the .410 fails in the hands of us average shooters.... wink

Any who want to brag on the .410 in the uplands should take the time to read "Shotgunning, the Art and the Science" by Bob Brister. He covers the topic in detail...Summation from memory would be the .410's effective pattern is extremely limited and is mainly comprised of a relatively small center core. Most of us are not skilled enough to point with such precision, especially on take them as them come in the field, to use it effectively and consistently with lead shot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

battue, I have high regard for your opinion when it comes to bird hunting and dogs, I have been shooting a 410 for 68 yrs on game birds, I agree the 410 is not for every one, and you need to know it's limits, but it will do the job in the right hands, I guide about 150 Quail and dove hunters every year and have for many years, i see more birds hit and fly away than most people see in a year, with every thing but a 410, all most no one shoots a 410. guess that's why. regards Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’m pretty much Mr Average when it comes to Birds and Dogs, I just do a lot of it. Anyway, you guide that many hunters every year over many years and you see more Birds killed in a couple weeks than I do in a year.

Therefore, I’ll take your word on it. Experience always deserves consideration. However, I do know I’m not good enough with a shotgun to be using a .410 in the field.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

battue, It's not unusual for us to kill 100 to150 doves a day, Quail are a different deal we average killing 1 Quail per covey over the hunting season, and we average about 20 to 30 covey's per day, kinda interesting numbers.

Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have had some great Dove hunts over here, especially when some late full grown flight Doves are temporarily stopping off on their way South. Also been invited to hunt all wild Quail and Doves down in Georgia a couple times. Mule wagon and all the trimmings with the Quail, with 15 to 20 Coveys in the morning and the same in the afternoon. It was an experience that I consider one of the hi points of following Dogs around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Yep, I have always said a 410 is an experts shotgun. Not the way to start a child on wing shooting. Wait until the kid can handle a 20 gauge so he can hit some birds.

I used to shoot skeet leagues years ago. It is very humbling when you are shooting a 12 and get beat by the guys shooting the 410's. Happend to me a lot.

We have a snow bird at our range, shoots a 410 Rem 870, with a release trigger, and he is a lefty shooting a righty gun. Talk about handicapping yourself. He does pretty good with it though. In the 3 years or so I have seen him out there when he is around, that is the only gun I have seen him shoot.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

battue, Doves, our early birds are White Wing, then the mourning doves and collared doves.

Georgia piney woods Quail are fun and a great place to get young dogs started on birds, most of the Quail are pen raised and planted before the hunts. All our birds are wild, our hunts are much different than the plantation hunts, we use our gun trucks with a driver, dog handler, helper, and 3 hunters, 10 dogs per truck plus 2 out riders on horse back, per truck.

The Georgia, Florida, Quail Unlimited, guy's come here for a couple of hunts every year, fun guy's to hunt with, it takes them a couple of hunts to catch up with our wild birds, as our birds are much faster than pen raised and flush much different than pen raised birds.

If I had my choice all i would do is bird hunt, but the big game is also a big part of what i do. Hell I can't gripe, i hunt 6-7 months every year, and spend the rest of the year getting ready to hunt again next season.

I'm to lazy to work, and to chicken to steal so I hunt for a living, Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rio,

I hunted on Pineland Plantation...it is not a commercial operation, and.you won’t find a single pen raised or planted Quail on the entire place. Used to shoot sporting and travel around with the owners Daughter which was the only reason I was invited to hunt there a few times. Tall cotton it was, because one can't pay to hunt there and some have tried....

The owner single handily originally funded the Albany Quail Project-Tall Timbers research station. Finally some of the other private plantation owners saw his results and joined in. And yes the Wild ones are much faster than the planted ones....and to keep it on track, I'm glad they didn't make me use a .410. grin

They have also ran the National Bird Dog Championship on Pineland more than once.

I understand the rather Bird hunt than work situation you have carved out for yourself. Congratulations!!!!

Addition: Have to correct myself on the National Bird Dog Championship...They have ran big trials there, but on looking it up, I can't find that the National was ever ran there..

Last edited by battue; 06/28/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoots a 410 with a release trigger. Pour guy must have developed one hell of a flinch to need to go that route. I've seen some bad flinch habits come out of handicap trap shooters, but none that bad!

Edmund Burke 1795

Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
H&R Topper .410 was the gun my brother learned to hunt with. Then me. Later in my nephew used it for his first quail hunt. He seldom missed with it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Shoots a 410 with a release trigger. Pour guy must have developed one hell of a flinch to need to go that route. I've seen some bad flinch habits come out of handicap trap shooters, but none that bad!

Recoil really has very little to do with flinching. It’s almost always panic and or lost sight of the target.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The more one piles up the empties, the more ways they can stumble into a flinch....Recoil is only one of them....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I shoot a 410 skeet/5-stand combo league in the winter. 10 rounds of each January through March can be challenging. There are two divisions "Pro" with a trophy for top gun and "Bragging Rights" which gets your name in the end of season flyer. It is a fun league and a Minnesota winter doesn't add much more difficulty for skeet but it makes the 5-stand more challenging.

One wins the division by shooting well on the 5-stand but loses it by shooting poorly on skeet. Skeet averages for Pro need to top 23 to be competitive while BR will usually win with something between 21.5 and 22. 5-stand is not predictable like skeet as there are three courses with positions and target rotations being switched around.

My Citori 410 was my "go to" for woodcock when it opened on Sept 1. For quarry that seldom presented a shot greater than 20 yards it worked great. I've shot a fair number of ruffed grouse and a few pheasants with either that gun or an Iver Johnson single shot but it is much more difficult than other birds. It's best use for birds may be early season sharptails and prairie chickens as one can often get pretty close to them, they aren't overly tough birds, they aren't noted runners, and the habitat isn't thick enough to hinder a dog from running down a cripple.

My primary uses for a 410 is dog training and pest control. The shot charge of a 410 is not very damaging on pen raised quail and pigeons so one does not tear up a bird much if a shot has to be taken quickly. A 410 loaded with 9 or 10 shot is pretty effective for jump shooting English sparrows from birdhouses though a little light for starlings. My wife likes it for use on rabbits and red squirrels raiding her gardens.

A 410 is not a "better" choice in most cases but it is effective for those that know and understand its limitations and work within those limits. It is also a fun, though often frustrating, choice for many clay situations.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.