Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gents - I've got a m77 with a black, synthetic stock that I had cerakoted in OD green (barreled action, trigger guard, bottom metal). I'd like to add a little green and brown using a sponge to the stock to break it up a little, but I was planning to just use the black plastic as the base. I've read all about prep, rotating the sponge, etc.

Two questions:

1. Is this a bad idea?

2. How necessary is a clear coat afterward? (I've got Krylon paint.)

Thanks!

P.s. would love to see pics of DIY paint jobs if anyone is willing to share.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This was a 40 year old neglected Rem 700 7mm-08. Started with a the green base. Added sponge spots and 3 coats of satin clearcoat.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Fotis

This was a 40 year old neglected Rem 700 7mm-08. Started with a the green base. Added sponge spots and 3 coats of satin clearcoat.

How durable would the pattern be minus the clear coats do you think?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've stopped using clear coat on stock paint jobs. Done 5 without it, I think. It is still very durable. It might scratch a little easier, but on a camo paint job who cares? Takes way less time. Plus touch ups would be much easier without clear coat, but honestly I've yet to do one. It is more of a flat non-reflective finish without clear coat, which I prefer. It is a win-win. Just prep the stock well with some mild solvent to remove oil and dirt for good paint adhesion.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
No base coat, no clear coat.

Base coat tan, coat of textured " desert sand (?)" paint, black webbing and clear coat.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CORDrew
No base coat, no clear coat.

Base coat tan, coat of textured " desert sand (?)" paint, black webbing and clear coat.

Thanks, Drew. Have you noticed that the top 2 wear much faster without the clear coat?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not done one without clearcoat so I can't speak on this.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've done numerous with spray paint and Duracoat and never used a clear coat. Several members here have some of my work and haven't gotten a complaint yet.

Is camo on a stock/DIY job a bad idea, not in my book. Make it what you want. If you decide it isn't what you want brake cleaner will take the paint off, some have used acetone without issue on polymer stocks. If you have a sand blaster that works too and, depending on media and pressure, won't damage the stock either. John_boy on here has done probably hundreds with krylon and would a great one to ask for input.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks, storm. I'm gonna give it a shot with Krylon and no clear coat. Will post results.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A clear coat, be it a single or two part coating will always be tougher and most likely more chemical resistant than a color. Main reason for a top coat.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yes, clear coat does make it more durable. To me though, for a camo paint job, on a rifle that gets used a lot, it isn't necessary. Like I said, I prefer not to use it. I have three uncoated painted rifles (the two tikkas and a ruger american 22lr) that get used a lot both hunting and shooting. Also, have a turkey shotgun that I did the whole gun and just sprayed on uneven stripes. To me, they look/function as well as when I first painted them 2-3 years ago. If you look close they do have little scuffs and scratches in the paint, but the camo pattern is irregular anyway.

All depends on what you want. Also, I think any painting reduces resale value, so I wouldn't do it to a gun I wasn't sure I was going to keep or that was especially valuable.

I have had no issues at all with gun cleaning lubricants and solvents... but I don't clean guns much, plenty of lubrication though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used matte clear on my cheapy Savage 93. It was my first attempt and turned out OK, but I learned a few things. More 'open' sponges give a pattern I like better (the dark brown below vs. the black), etc. Started with a black stock and used a tan camo base.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If talking rattle cans.... When sweat or other chemicals (solvents) interacts with a clearcoat, you get clear goo, color you get colored goo. Clearcoat also serve as a final blending, evaning, and smoothly role that may or may not be desired on both 1k and 2k finishes. All depends on what a guy's after. Wouldn't skip it to save six bucks and 10 minutes personally unless it interfered with a desired outcome more important than durability.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice job there sock.

--- Kid Rock 2022

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Matte clear adds a bit of shine, but isn't too shiny.
My rifle has a few coats and is several yrs old and looks newly painted.

If you want absolute dull/ flat.......no matte clearcoat.

I did a rifle yrs ago and it chipped here and there. Actually looked cool. Hell no I wasnt gonna touch it up. More effort than worth.

But if youre OCD and want it to hold up, yeah.....clearcoat

Last edited by hookeye; 06/26/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sponge painted and clearcoated

Attached Images
I1JSoC6.jpg (54.01 KB, 217 downloads)
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
Sponge painted and clearcoated

Hook - which coat did you use? I've read that Krylon sometimes never dries. Duracoat is out (not dropping $50 on a spray can). The simple, $5 Rustoleum clear matte seems like a winner?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rustoleum 2X matte clear is all you need. Let your base dry per directions. You don't want to put clear over it too wet or the escaping solvent from the colors will bubble up ruining the whole thing. BTDT, more than once. LOL Even just super light coats of clear will help. .

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These one of a kind paint jobs can only be done by a skilled professional.

Taking orders, now!

😜😎🤦🏾‍♀️

This one has been called “Fruit Cake Puke”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one “Cat Scratch Fever”

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Experimental phase. LOL

Here's Whathephucqkaflauge1

And Whathephucqkaflauge2

Raspberry Beret

BloodF'ingOrange

And Dexter

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.