Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BamaCKC: Do Yellowstone Park and plan this!
The last leg of your Yellowstone visit do the "North Loop" and exit the Park at the north east entrance (near Silver City, Montana) then travel through Cooke City and take the stunning and breathtaking Beartooth "All American Road" over the Beartooth Plateau and Beartooth Pass (10,947') to Red Lodge, Montana and on to Columbus, Montana.
The VarmintWife and I did this trip 10 days ago and it was full of game including Mt. Goats (4) in Montana and one wild giant Grizzly Bear (wilds of Wyoming) that the wife got great pictures of.
This route was described by Charles Kuralt as "the second most beautiful highway in all of America"!
IF... there is a more beautiful road anywhere in America I have NO knowledge of it.
I thought my new Nikon camera was gonna melt the views and vistas and wildlife were SO spectacular - I was clickin away!
This route is a wonderful and life impressing trip - I have done it many times but it gets more beautiful every time I travel it.
Be sure and stop for the hamburgers in Red Lodge at the "Red Caboose" - it is worth the wait! I bought the "house special" giant hamburger - it was exceptional.
Travel safe and bring cameras, binos and a spotting scope. Saw three Grizzlies in Yellowstone and a blonde Black Bear on this venture as well.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I hate to say it.....but Yellowstone is boring AF.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by BamaCKC
Bumping this up...we leave in about a week

I'd like to hear about any diners, dives, etc. that shouldn't be missed

If your route goes through Victor, Id. a meal at the Butter Cafe will knock your sox off. In Jackson the Merry Piglets has great Mexican food. Dornan's at Moose jct has the best view of the Tetons, outstanding pizza and a great beer selection on tap. The bar at the Wort Hotel has good food, atmosphere and a great collection of western art. You are in for a great trip, have fun.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats what Mike thinks anyway......

He only eats organic kale chips these days.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Thats what Mike thinks anyway......

He only eats organic kale chips these days.

Got hooked on those at the Hitchin' Post in Malta, mmm mmmmgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

B
BamaCKC Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The last leg of your Yellowstone visit do the "North Loop" and exit the Park at the north east entrance (near Silver City, Montana) then travel through Cooke City and take the stunning and breathtaking Beartooth "All American Road" over the Beartooth Plateau and Beartooth Pass (10,947') to Red Lodge, Montana and on to Columbus, Montana.
The VarmintWife and I did this trip 10 days ago and it was full of game including Mt. Goats (4) in Montana and one wild giant Grizzly Bear (wilds of Wyoming) that the wife got great pictures of.
This route was described by Charles Kuralt as "the second most beautiful highway in all of America"!
IF... there is a more beautiful road anywhere in America I have NO knowledge of it.
I thought my new Nikon camera was gonna melt the views and vistas and wildlife were SO spectacular - I was clickin away!
This route is a wonderful and life impressing trip - I have done it many times but it gets more beautiful every time I travel it.
Be sure and stop for the hamburgers in Red Lodge at the "Red Caboose" - it is worth the wait! I bought the "house special" giant hamburger - it was exceptional.
Travel safe and bring cameras, binos and a spotting scope. Saw three Grizzlies in Yellowstone and a blonde Black Bear on this venture as well.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've considered trying to do this on my way back from Glacier to South Dakots

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
jim conrad: THAT... latest posting of yours is THE most idiotic posting you have ever made - and that is saying something (considering the thousands of previous idiotic postings you have made!)!
Only possible retort to such an idiotic posting as yours is, SHEESH!
I am shaking my head in disbelief.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You are probably the kind of guy who watched Star Wars 12 dozen times aint ya?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like the trip VG mentioned, probably my favorite in the west.. Never ate at that restaurant in Red Lodge, we always hit Red Lodge Ales!! Best craft beer in the west and great sandwiches!! If you are not a craft beer person then I would try VG’s suggestion!!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

as opposed to the trip between your place and Glasgow ?..........LOL

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a rafting trip out of Jackson hole.

I'm sure we'll spend a few hours there afterwards.

take in the World Museum of Wildlife Art, 2-3 miles north of Jackson. river trip is good.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

as opposed to the trip between your place and Glasgow ?..........LOL

Its the same trip each time.....less people.....fewer buffalo.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We did this in 2017. Made reservations for 3 different nights for a 18 day trip- seat of the pants trip. Some of the higlhights: John Deere museum in IA, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower, Little Bighorn, Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, stayed in Red Lodge and drove into Yellowstone, Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Glacier Road to the Sun, Kootanai Falls north of Trout Creek, National Bison Range, Badlands SD. That's the highlights and how we did it start to finish. Hope to do it again in a few years.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've considered trying to do this on my way back from Glacier to South Dakots

VarmintGuy is right , a trip over Beartooth Pass will be the best part of the drive. I live in Columbus and have been on that drive hundreds of times and it never gets old. The drive to Red Lodge from I-90 at Columbus is a nice drive drive also. The Red Caboose ain't too shabby either.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i would def see Mt. Rush before someone blows it up

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I like the trip VG mentioned, probably my favorite in the west.. Never ate at that restaurant in Red Lodge, we always hit Red Lodge Ales!! Best craft beer in the west and great sandwiches!! If you are not a craft beer person then I would try VG’s suggestion!!!!

Craft beer is best beer!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kennymauser: You are a "lucky person" to live in the middle of all that beauty and diversity of things to see and do.
Good for you.
I am trying to remember the name of that 1/2 pound hand tossed burger that I had at the Red Caboose - I could only eat half of it and an hour or two later tackled the other half.
I think it was something like "Caboose Special"?
Anyway its the only $8.00 hamburger I saw on the menu - the rest were 3 and 4 dollars as I recall.
I think I have traversed the Beartooth 7 or 8 times in my life - I hope to get to 20!
Enjoy your life over that-a-way.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
B
All right, changed plans.

Staying in Jackson Hole one night,Ashton 2 nights, and somewhere around the North entrance 2 nights. Then we'll head toward Glacier NP.

I think I'm going to hit the Beartooth Highway on my way from Glacier NP to the Badlands....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ipopum
This is just me but I would not waste any time at Wall Drug. A total waste of time.

This is terrible advice. The donuts are to die for!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
R
R
All right, changed plans.

Staying in Jackson Hole one night,Ashton 2 nights, and somewhere around the North entrance 2 nights. Then we'll head toward Glacier NP.

I think I'm going to hit the Beartooth Highway on my way from Glacier NP to the Badlands....

Take note Bama man!
Work will soon begin on the Beartooth Highway.
A project overview was released by Missouri River Contractors, the company contracted by WYDOT, Yellowstone National Park, and Shoshone National Forest to undertake
WY TIG 212 (9) – a rather intense construction project on the Beartooth Highway this summer. The project consists of:
Constructing a new 400-foot steel girder, 2-lane bridge spanning the Beartooth Ravine
Straightening the roadway alignment
Retaining walls
Laying back of slopes
Installing drainage structures
Replacing the existing roadway surface
The project begins at the west end of the Beartooth Highway Lake Bridge and proceeds westward for approximately ¾ of a mile.
There are a number of traffic patterns and changes to expect if you head over the highway in the coming months. Beginning July 7th, Beartooth Highway to be closed at night between mile post 22.8(Just west of Ghost Creek)and 27.4 (Just West of Beartooth Lake Campground), Mondays through Thursdays from 8pm to 7am. During this period, no traffic will be allowed through the Project site. During the day, there will be one-way traffic through the construction site, controlled by a pilot car and temporary traffic signals at each end. Motorists should expect delays up to 30-minutes, Monday through Saturday, 7am to 7pm.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.