Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking at this as a new carry. Anyone familiar with it.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never seen one, but pretty sure I heard the bore axis will flip you over backwards if you're not careful.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought one of the original P320 compacts in 357 Sig which has a little longer barrel than the x-compct. I did buy a x-compct grip frame for it, as well as a Wilson Combat carry grip frame. I also have an x-carry in 9mm and have handled the x-compact. The x-compact is a real nice size and if I didn't already have a P365 xl, I'd probably buy one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the 365 is a better size for carry but the x compact is a very nice pistol. It’s definitely more fun to shoot and to me makes a lot sense for home defense or glove box.

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hawkeye,

Have you handled the 365? That is another that I have considered.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have the P-320 carry in 9MMS and 357 Sig they are very good pistols. Reliability is excellent and they are very accurate, I like mine very much.
I also have the P-365 and it is excellent as well. Small accurate. Comes with 2 ten round magazines. 12 and 15 round magazines are available

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I own a Sig P365, P365 XL and converted my full size P320 to the X-Compact model and shot it enough to become familiar with it. Those three pistols in order are just steps along a continuum so pick whatever point feels comfortable to the individual.

The 365 and XL are wonderful smaller carry pistols and being smaller are obviously easier to conceal. The X-compact which is basically Glock 19 sized (as is the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact) is going to manage recoil better and be easier to shoot due to a bigger grip and more mass. And we could have a whole separate discussion about how folks interpret the word "easier".

From a post I made on 3/1/20, it talks about the 365's and the Smith but again the Smith and Sig X-Compact are pretty much same same in recoil handling and shootability:

One subjective impression is recoil. It was 28 deg. this morning with an 8 mph wind and my fingers got a bit cold. The P365 had a 12 round mag in it so I could get my hand fully on the grip but recoil was still snappy. My chilly trigger finger really felt it after the first five rounds.

Going to the 365 XL with a longer and heavier slide showed a noticeable decrease in felt recoil, it was a slower recoil impulse. I've no way to quantify this, it wasn't a huge difference, but it was definitely noticeable. Going to the M&P Compact was a "really big difference" (technical term) in recoil, and the 5.0" full size M&P was again a smaller but noticeable difference from the 4" barrel; it was a real pussycat compared to either Sig. This is all to be expected but I was a bit surprised at the difference between the two Sigs. I've noticed this at a warm indoor range firing both but my cold trigger finger this morning was really sensitive to it...

...The 365 XL has become my primary carry gun when I need the most concealment and I'd not feel unprotected with it in most any civilian self defense situation. However, I'm still evaluating compact 4" models which are preferable. The difference in velocity is negligible - the average actually went down 7 fps in this trial - but there is a significant difference in felt recoil and shootability.

Originally Posted by RufusG
Never seen one, but pretty sure I heard the bore axis will flip you over backwards if you're not careful.

That is a dirty little secret about the Sigs in general but there is a fellow who makes a sort of bipod affair which you attach to the back of your belt to keep from being upended by the high bore axis recoil, kind of like wheelie bars on a dragster. I'll dig up the website name if anyone is interested... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you. Great information to contemplate. I need to decide how small I want to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Takman
Hawkeye,

Have you handled the 365? That is another that I have considered.

I do, I modified it by installing the XL grip frame, flat trigger and extended magazine base pads. Much better now. The x compact is a much better range toy but the 365 is a lot smaller. Both are great guns. If I didn’t mind carrying a bigger gun, the x compact would be my pick. If size mattered much, the 365 would be my pick.

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That’s what I’m thinking.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a Glock guy for years, carrying a Glock 19 or 43, but carry a P365 or P320 Compact (in a Xcompact grip module) now. The triggers are so much better and I don't get brass landing on my head like my Glock 19 would do. Glocks are still great guns but they aren't the only good choice for polymer guns anymore.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Any preference on your carry choice of the two?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any preference on your carry choice of the two?

I'm not WarEagle700 and won't pretend to speak for him, but having moved from a G19 myself to a X-Compact and a P365, I'll give my opinion.

I carried the G19 for years, and it's a great gun and I still have mine. But, after shooting a P320 X-Five for a couple of years now in the Carry Optics division of USPSA, I liked it so much that I bought a X-Compact and put a red dot on it. I love the gun and shoot it very well. It is about the same size as my G19, but easier for me to shoot well (and faster).

That said, about a week after I bought the X-Compact, I got a great deal on a new P365 that I couldn't pass up. I ended up putting a Grey Guns straight trigger on it just so that it had the same feel to me as the X-Compact and my X-Five. I put a Crimson Trace green laser on it and I carry it with a 12rd mag and a spare 15rd mag. Obviously it is smaller and lighter and (to me) easier to carry, especially in warm weather. The green laser helps tremendously with longer range shots and I still have 28 rds on board.

So, I find myself carrying the P365 the majority (90%) of the time now days. Sometimes in my front pocket (if wearing cargo shorts), or in a Vedder LightTuck with jeans.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you Ryan. That helps give clarity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the late reply, my experience is similar to RyanTX's.

I carried a Glock 19 mostly for years until buying a P365 in 2018 and recently decided to give the P320 a try after shooting a friends. I still keep my Glock 19 around, it's a great gun, but the P365 is my primary carry gun due to size and work attire, usually having to wear a suit. The P320 Compact is what I prefer to carry but usually only when in farm clothes or hunting/fishing/etc....

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks wareagle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try this version on for size........................

ZEV Sig 320 Compact

MM

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Wow! Sweet looking rigs! Have you handled one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope...............new, just got the flier, but it's likely outta my price range.

I have a Sig 229 Legion that is my EDC, a little bigger than a Compact & about the same size as my son's 320 X-Carry. Love it. The difference in the triggers is worth the money.

I also carried a G19 for several years, but the Sig just plain shoots better for me, is more accurate as I shoot it, & feels better in my hand.

Sig Legion Series

MM

T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Finally. Decided on 365 XL but couldn’t find one. Found a 365 SAS and ordered it. Hopefully will be in today. Low and behold I found a 365 XL so I ordered that. Looking forward to giving them some range time. Thanks for all the input. VERY constructive content.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck with the SAS version. I know of 2 guys who tried it. Briefly...

Edit; They both used the same pistol. One bought it, tried it and sold it to the other. He tried it and traded it.

Last edited by johnw; 08/14/20.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Finally. Decided on 365 XL but couldn’t find one. Found a 365 SAS and ordered it. Hopefully will be in today. Low and behold I found a 365 XL so I ordered that. Looking forward to giving them some range time. Thanks for all the input. VERY constructive content.

The SAS looks like a gimmick to me, good luck with it. The 320X compact carry holds 15 rounds in flush fitting magazine, the P365 holds 12 in an extended magazine that fits my hand better (little finger don't hang off), I shoot both of them about the same. The 320 would be my first choice if I had to decide which one to keep, both are easy to carry, the 320 recoil profile milder due to wider grip and size.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp

The SAS looks like a gimmick to me, good luck with it. The 320X compact carry holds 15 rounds in flush fitting magazine, the P365 holds 12 in an extended magazine that fits my hand better (little finger don't hang off), I shoot both of them about the same. The 320 would be my first choice if I had to decide which one to keep, both are easy to carry, the 320 recoil profile milder due to wider grip and size.

I use the 15 round magazine in my 365 because it fits my hand

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Takman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Update: Finally got to the range with both the XL and SAS this morning. Very pleased with both. Started the the XL first and ran both the 10 round and 12 round clips. Sights easy to find and accurate as I will get with a pistol. Used Speer 115 FMJ ammo, not a lot of choice right now. Easy on the hands and consistent. I then went to the SAS and per some negative comments earlier on this model from others on the Fire, I was thinking I might not be happy with it. Pleasantly surprised. Very accurate and easy on the hands. I barely noticed a difference between the two as far as recoil. Biggest difference is the sights. After one clip I got comfortable with the SAS sights. Used both 10 and 12 round clips. My assessment between the two is the XL will definitely be a better target gun as far as finding sights on bullseye.The sights on the SAS under combat pressure I believe for me will find the target quicker allowing for a quicker shot on target. Disclaimer: I am not a competition shooter or trained professional. Just a layman. SAS will be conceal carry and XL truck gun. Very happy with both. Hope this may help someone considering these two models.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
698 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.